JOMTIEN STORM

mercman24

I drove along Jomtien beach earlier today and it was indeed extremely grubby with lots of nasty-looking plastic refuse at the tideline.

They really should invest in a proper beach-cleaning machine, and do something to cut down the littering that goes on everywhere here.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Lumbini said:

Below is a before and after picture I took of one of the many beaches that were downgraded seriously by someone who made money off killing big beautiful trees

Yes disgraceful how they massacred the trees.. they recently did more at Dongtan beach !

I don't have a before photo though  there where lots of old growth trees cut down in the photos area.

184815479_P_20170822_092941_HDR(Large).jpg.dd276bffe72667c47eafabed4b823836.jpg

332822678_P_20170822_093230(Large).jpg.26a7e877f60f135ad0bab5876c61dbb7.jpg

1 hour ago, Lumbini said:

When they cut down the big trees on many sections of the beach and planted the rows and rows of cluttered palm trees to take their place that beach cleaning machine was useless in many parts of the beach as it was too wide to navigate through the palm tree farms that in spots go all the way to the water emoji15.png go figure emoji780.png

Below is a before and after picture I took of one of the many beaches that were downgraded seriously by someone who made money off killing big beautiful treesIMG_7099.thumb.JPG.4f3b8ffa425a73a29bd13888767f19c1.JPG&key=02e998aff236d8f0972ba09a59267956b04986f5fef59a9f36e250ce87cd21f9IMG_7098.thumb.JPG.58d26ba68c7f67a90b222ee69317aaac.JPG&key=515d4f5279cdb75a7a194ff56985ecc1efcfc194218c249e86864883e10ded7e

PS - be carful of the falling coconuts that could seriously damage anyone under them emoji33.png

I quite prefer the "after" photo.  The water even looks better!

Edited by mugaly
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, mugaly said:

The before photo showed how the whole stretch used to be with more natural native salt water tolerant trees with very good shade and root systems to slow erosion and no coconuts to drop on your head.

Though  one tree last year did  drop a branch on a tourists head and kill him..the tree was then beheaded.58b624ffb207b_killertree.thumb.jpg.71133160ede7f8149cef3f1c77a03810.jpg

1 minute ago, johng said:

The before photo showed how the whole stretch used to be with more natural native salt water tolerant trees with very good shade and root systems to slow erosion and no coconuts to drop on your head.

Though  one tree last year did  drop a branch on a tourists head and kill him..the tree was then beheaded.58b624ffb207b_killertree.thumb.jpg.71133160ede7f8149cef3f1c77a03810.jpg

Those old casuarina trees are always losing branches and are dangerous.  A palm lined beach is sustainable and provides free coconuts!

• Like 2

Another thing is why almost all remaining areas with  "proper shade trees" have deck chairs and umbrellas underneath...and the desolated areas are desolate except for the Russians roasting themself's

can only conclude it is to try and force people to use the deck chairs..instead of bringing/hiring a mat and sitting under the shady trees.

6 minutes ago, mugaly said:

Those old casuarina trees are always losing branches and are dangerous.  A palm lined beach is sustainable and provides free coconuts!

Totally disagree  + a coconut ( or bunch)  on the head can kill too.

If anyone is interested, there are three kinds of trees along the beach. I like them all, but I do sometimes think I should wear a helmet.

- Palms, mostly coconut

- Casuarina equisetifolia  (Australian Pine)

- Terminalia catappa (Tropical Almond, pictured below)

41450.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Like others, I had my doubts about the beach improvement project and like many things it's not perfect, but overall I think it's a vast improvement, with expanded open areas, restricted smoking, etc. 

For me the storm was a non-event, high water and winds laid waste to the buoy system but that happens every year. 

• Like 1

Like others, I had my doubts about the beach improvement project and like many things it's not perfect, but overall I think it's a vast improvement, with expanded open areas, restricted smoking, etc. 
For me the storm was a non-event, high water and winds laid waste to the buoy system but that happens every year. 
They could have done it without sacrificing the trees and they "forgot" to include seating areas..yes the old promenade was crumbling and needed replacing...I think the new version is a bit "sterile"
  • Thanks 1

The water looked better because I did major major major photoshop to the color of second picture to try and make up for the beautiful trees that were gone .

Bottom line when they cut down the big trees the beach erosion took off but it's not all bad because as the beach goes away fast and permanently with beach erosion the new unnatural rows of planted palm trees all cluttered that took big trees place are starting to die one by one as the beach where they planted them that before was protected by the root system of the big trees root system now is gone . I watch the new cluttered palm trees die row by row as the water comes in father and farther now with beach erosion accelerating now the big trees that protected beach are gone . After big trees gone and beach erosion really ramps up there will be less trash problem on the beach as there will be less beach so government fixes trash problem on beach "Thai Way"

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

I really don't know where to begin. Dongtarn is a disaster. How very sad. Such horrible destruction continues of a once quiet, "remote", shady beach.

For shade is the name of the game at a beach -- it is that precious nature which makes Thailand's scorching temperatures tolerable. For those who roast themselves in the sun regularly, and have fair complexions, be aware that the incidence of skin cancers including deadly melanoma continues to rise. Pls be careful.

I really don't know where to begin. Dongtarn is a disaster. How very sad. Such horrible destruction continues of a once quiet, "remote", shady beach.

For shade is the name of the game at a beach -- it is that precious nature which makes Thailand's scorching temperatures tolerable. For those who roast themselves in the sun regularly, and have fair complexions, be aware that the incidence of skin cancers including deadly melanoma continues to rise. Pls be careful.

"I really don't know where to begin. Dongtarn is a disaster. How very sad. Such horrible destruction continues of a once quiet, "remote", shady beach."

So well said .... paved paradise

On 6/7/2018 at 2:59 AM, johng said:

Yes disgraceful how they massacred the trees.. they recently did more at Dongtan beach !

I don't have a before photo though  there where lots of old growth trees cut down in the photos area.

184815479_P_20170822_092941_HDR(Large).jpg.dd276bffe72667c47eafabed4b823836.jpg

332822678_P_20170822_093230(Large).jpg.26a7e877f60f135ad0bab5876c61dbb7.jpg

yeah.  that really is deplorable.  dongtan used to be pleasant and they had full length cusion recliners.  The "improvement" is shit

On 6/7/2018 at 1:00 PM, Lumbini said:

When they cut down the big trees on many sections of the beach and planted the rows and rows of cluttered palm trees to take their place that beach cleaning machine was useless in many parts of the beach as it was too wide to navigate through the palm tree farms that in spots go all the way to the water emoji15.png go figure emoji780.png

Below is a before and after picture I took of one of the many beaches that were downgraded seriously by someone who made money off killing big beautiful treesIMG_7099.thumb.JPG.4f3b8ffa425a73a29bd13888767f19c1.JPG&key=02e998aff236d8f0972ba09a59267956b04986f5fef59a9f36e250ce87cd21f9IMG_7098.thumb.JPG.58d26ba68c7f67a90b222ee69317aaac.JPG&key=515d4f5279cdb75a7a194ff56985ecc1efcfc194218c249e86864883e10ded7e

PS - be carful of the falling coconuts that could seriously damage anyone under them emoji33.png

I disagree. The coconut trees are a big improvement on those other ugly trees they replace. Those original trees don't belong there, on a beach. I doubt they were originally on a beach, but on the foreshore, before they moved the sand there. The coconut trees give the beach a real tropical look they can use on brochures. That's the kind of beach tourists want to see in the tropics. Yes, the coconuts need to be taken off when very young, but that's not difficult.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I disagree. The coconut trees are a big improvement on those other ugly trees they replace. Those original trees don't belong there, on a beach. I doubt they were originally on a beach, but on the foreshore, before they moved the sand there. The coconut trees give the beach a real tropical look they can use on brochures. That's the kind of beach tourists want to see in the tropics. Yes, the coconuts need to be taken off when very young, but that's not difficult.

" original trees don't belong there " ? I guess nature screwed up [emoji6]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2018 at 2:17 PM, Lumbini said:

" original trees don't belong there " ? I guess nature screwed up emoji6.png

Think about that next time you landscape a garden. Just let it grow wild. There's plenty of natural trees that will grow up fast. Have a look at what grows on vacant lots - that's what you'll end up with.

Looks like a lot less shade; And now with UV C hitting the earth for the first time in known history, more and not less shade is needed. UV C recorded in Canada and Alaska also, so not just in the tropics.
http://www.ozone-hole.org.uk/02.php

So the ozone layer is gone ? Looks like time to increase smog instead and concrete which only reflects 12% UV
seems like they have been doing it right after all ! cutting the trees down building vast concrete parking spaces,shopping malls and everyone driving around in a constant traffic jam
[emoji15] [emoji1]

Think about that next time you landscape a garden. Just let it grow wild. There's plenty of natural trees that will grow up fast. Have a look at what grows on vacant lots - that's what you'll end up with.

Landscape a garden ? I thought we we talking about a beach not making a man made garden or vacant lots ?