Republican House Speaker Paul Ryan says Trump shouldn't pardon himself

webfact

Republican House Speaker says Trump shouldn't pardon himself

By Amanda Becker and Richard Cowan

2018-06-06T154023Z_1_LYNXNPEE551FP_RTROPTP_4_NORTHKOREA-MISSILES-TRUMP.JPG

U.S. Speaker of the House Paul Ryan speaks to reporters at an enrollment ceremony for several House bills on Capitol Hill in Washington, U.S., May 24, 2018. REUTERS/Toya Sarno Jordan

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. House Speaker Paul Ryan said on Wednesday that President Donald Trump should not pardon himself, becoming the second Republican leader in Congress to balk at the president's assertion that he had "absolute" power to do so.

Ryan also dismissed another of Trump's contentions - that the FBI and Justice Department planted an informant in his 2016 presidential campaign. He said he agreed with the assertion by U.S. Representative Trey Gowdy, the Republican chairman of the House Oversight Committee, that federal authorities had acted properly.

"I think Chairman Gowdy's initial assessment is accurate, but we have more digging to do," Ryan said.

Ryan, who is not seeking re-election, had a strained relationship with Trump during the campaign but has avoided taking a confrontational approach with him since he took office.

Asked whether Trump can legally pardon himself, Ryan told reporters at the U.S. Capitol: "I don't know the technical answer to that question but obviously he shouldn't. No one is above the law."

Trump made the pardon assertion in a series of Twitter posts on Monday in which he criticized federal Special Counsel Robert Mueller's criminal probe of whether his 2016 presidential campaign colluded with Russia to sway the election.

"As has been stated by numerous legal scholars, I have the absolute right to PARDON myself, but why would I do that when I have done nothing wrong?" Trump said.

In another tweet he called Mueller’s appointment “totally UNCONSTITUTIONAL.”

The comments came as Mueller’s investigation, which includes possible illegal obstruction of the Russia probe by the president, entered its second year.

Trump denies he colluded with the Russians or obstructed justice and calls Mueller's investigation a "witch hunt."

On Tuesday, the Senate's Republican leader, Mitch McConnell, also discouraged talk of a self-pardon by Trump.

"Let me just tell you that from - from my perspective - I don't think the president needs any advice on pardoning himself," McConnell said. "He obviously knows that would not be something that he would or should do."

Trump's suggestion that he could legally pardon himself followed a New York Times report on Saturday that his personal lawyers argued in a memo to Mueller that the president could not have obstructed justice because he has vast authority over all federal investigations.

In an interview with Reuters on Sunday, Trump lawyer Rudolph Giuliani played down the possibility of a Trump self-pardon.

"He’s not going to do it. He’s not going to pardon himself. If he did, he’d be impeached so fast," Giuliani said.

(Reporting by Richard Cowan, Amanda Becker, Susan Cornwell, Karen Freifeld; Writing by Doina Chiacu; Editing by Chizu Nomiyama and Dan Grebler)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-06-07

5 hours ago, Emster23 said:

Trump does many things he "shouldn't do".

The statement from House Majority Speaker and 3rd in line of presidential succession is to my recall only the second time he has said something Trump should not do. The first is that Trump should not fire Attorney General Sessions. And thus far, Trump has not fired Sessions despite his repeated public complaints.

Impeachment begins in the House. Proceedings would be organized by Ryan. So it does seem he has shown a glimmer of a spine rather obfuscate his response, especially with his additional comment that "no one is above the law." The latter directly contradicting Trump's TV counsel's position.

If Ryan was running for re-election, he probably would have been as spineless as other Republican congressmen not up for re-election. 

• Like 1

Think about it - IF the president can pardon himself of any crime, then VP Pence could shoot Trump dead, immediately become president, and as his first official act pardon himself of the crime.

1 minute ago, quandow said:

Think about it - IF the president can pardon himself of any crime, then VP Pence could shoot Trump dead, immediately become president, and as his first official act pardon himself of the crime.

The combinations and permutations of this insanity are endless...

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Expatthailover said:

Pardoning the inexcusable. 

One can only imagine the amount of crooks, hucksters and assorted n'ere do wells who are going to be pardoned when this creep leaves office.

He'll probably hold an auction

15 hours ago, quandow said:

Brings to mind a SE Asian country that experienced a coup, aka treason, then immediately pardoned themselves. Can't seem to remember where....