Better to sell a manual car in Chiang Mai or Bangkok

I have a 6 months old Honda Jazz that has a manual gearbox. It is registered in Chiang Mai but I am currently living in Bangkok. My lease here is about to expire and deciding whether to stay or go back to CM.

Would it be better to sell in Bangkok or Chiang Mai in terms of likely sale price and sale time?

If I sell in Bangkok I am told I need to do a number plate transfer first to a Bangkok plate (3-4 days) before I can then do a transfer in Bangkok. If I go back to Chiang Mai easier to do a transfer for sale. I need to renew my retirement visa as well and was thinking maybe easier in Chiang Mai than Bangkok? I welcome your views ?

Manual transmissions will be a thing of the past soon resulting in deflated resale values for cars so optioned. Paddle shifter autos are taking over but will never replace the satisfaction of operating a manual box professionally. Having had nearly 55 years experience in driving all kinds of vehicles in Australia, I can attest to knowing what I am talking about. If the poster could phone me on 0936592640 we may be able to do some business.

52 minutes ago, poyai111 said:

Manual transmissions will be a thing of the past soon resulting in deflated resale values for cars so optioned. Paddle shifter autos are taking over but will never replace the satisfaction of operating a manual box professionally. Having had nearly 55 years experience in driving all kinds of vehicles in Australia, I can attest to knowing what I am talking about. If the poster could phone me on 0936592640 we may be able to do some business.

"Manual transmissions will be a thing of the past soon resulting in deflated resale values for cars so optioned."  Reminds me of when I started my apprenticeship as a motor mechanic in OZ in 1963. "No future for mechanics. Internal combustion engines are on their way out." I'd suggest your comment & the one I received way back in '63 belong in the same rubbish bin.

Everything will one day be a thing of the past.... But hey, just my opinion.

There will always be a place for good mechanics because anything mechanical by its very nature will ultimately "fail to proceed". On the other hand, auto transmissions are so good now that manual transmissions will become obsolete. The market will decide which will survive. Fact not opinion. 

• Like 1

Just a comment on the auto versus manual transmission, has anyone noticed the court case against Ford Thailand and the class actions in other parts of the world regarding their automatic transmissions. Automatics are good but they still have problems.

Most of the respected European car journalists voted the Manual the best of the Honda Jazz range. It is the quickest in acceleration, has the best fuel economy and more reliable than the auto. Autos are for people who can't really drive or mostly just sit in traffic in Bangkok.  The manual Honda Jazz was considered the most reliable car in the world. The auto was not. 

The used prices for a manual transmission are significantly lower than for an automatic in any brand here, despite being easier to repair or replace.

It's quite baffling Thais are comfortable with a manual transmission on a two-wheeler, and shun them on a four-wheeler.

I could not imagine driving a manual car in Bangkok. My left leg would seize up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, malt25 said:

"Manual transmissions will be a thing of the past soon resulting in deflated resale values for cars so optioned."  Reminds me of when I started my apprenticeship as a motor mechanic in OZ in 1963. "No future for mechanics. Internal combustion engines are on their way out." I'd suggest your comment & the one I received way back in '63 belong in the same rubbish bin.

While I tend to agree with you as I understand it the newest automatic transmissions are

both quicker and more fuel efficient. Not sure how far up the premium care market that these

transmissions become available (and they may never be available on the cheapest base car models)

but they will work there way down to cheaper cars. There may always be manual transmissions

cars on the market but the numbers will keep dropping over time. 

18 hours ago, GilesA said:

Most of the respected European car journalists voted the Manual the best of the Honda Jazz range. It is the quickest in acceleration, has the best fuel economy and more reliable than the auto. Autos are for people who can't really drive or mostly just sit in traffic in Bangkok.  The manual Honda Jazz was considered the most reliable car in the world. The auto was not. 

But we ain't all 15 and race after dark....:stoner:

On 6/7/2018 at 3:32 PM, malt25 said:

Well last night on Radio Thailand the country "affirmed it will be completely fossil fuel free within 20 years from now and also smart meters will be installed nationwide". While we can't say with certainty whether this deadline will be met (I'm both skeptical and hopeful that it won't be) it's nevertheless concerning that these kind of things are being mentioned. This push off course comes not from the Thai government but from UN pressure and all member states are required to oblige with whatever goals have been pushed.

Internal combustion engines remain far more reliable and efficient than electric vehicles so unless an electric vehicle (or perhaps hydrogen fuel cell) vehicle that is as efficient and has an equivalent or better range than current engine technologies is developed by that time than I think we should oppose this agenda to rid the world of technologies that have proven to work in favor of something less reliable (electric vehicles).

On 6/7/2018 at 7:07 PM, Lacessit said:

The used prices for a manual transmission are significantly lower than for an automatic in any brand here, despite being easier to repair or replace.

It's quite baffling Thais are comfortable with a manual transmission on a two-wheeler, and shun them on a four-wheeler.

I could not imagine driving a manual car in Bangkok. My left leg would seize up. 

I have only ever owned manual transmission vehicles in Thailand and drive in Bangkok. My leg has never seized up. Take your foot off the clutch (and the brakes) when at the lights. Nearly all roads in Bangkok are as flat as a pancake, you don't need to even put the handbrake on. I find myself in trouble driving an automatic in Bangkok, one time I accidentally took my foot off the brakes and nearly rear ended a car in front. Luckily there was some distance between me and that vehicle. I am now careful to always put an automatic car in neutral or park if stuck in traffic. Then again, about the only time I drive an automatic is on the rare occasion I have to rent a car. Otherwise it's always my manual.

Edited by jimster