Tired of Bangkok where should I go live in Thailand and why

72BKK

Don't rule out Greater Pattaya.  Good schools for the kids, plenty to do, excellent shopping and restaurants. New Index, Home Pro, Baan and Beyond, and Chic Republic.   Terminal 21 opening soon, two new water parks, Harbor Mall full of things for kids, wide variety of housing at all price points, movie theaters in English, etc.  Good hospitals.  A not too big, not too small city.  Easy to avoid the adult entertainment areas, which are in a very small area compared to Greater Pattaya.  Not far from Bangkok when you want to take in something happening there.  Worth a look!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

agreed.  just remember, once your kid gets accepted to, and starts uni; whatever pretentious, exhorbant, spoiled brat, international school they attended will mean nothing.  If you travel in educated circles, and someone asks you where you went to school, they are asking about university.  Same with a job interview....Too many foreigner n Hua  Hin...Too many trying to imitate a western lifestyle.....it's not quite Pirate Island, but give it a few more years.  A friend said Takiab is so overbuilt, they changed the climate.

48 minutes ago, moontang said:

agreed.  just remember, once your kid gets accepted to, and starts uni; whatever pretentious, exhorbant, spoiled brat, international school they attended will mean nothing.  If you travel in educated circles, and someone asks you where you went to school, they are asking about university.  Same with a job interview....Too many foreigner n Hua  Hin...Too many trying to imitate a western lifestyle.....it's not quite Pirate Island, but give it a few more years.  A friend said Takiab is so overbuilt, they changed the climate.

I send my kids to international school so they rarely end up in a position where they have to answer these sort of irrelevant questions - I couldn't care less if they go to university, I care only that they receive a primary / secondary level education in an environment where cultivating inquisitiveness is foremost and they learn the process of learning. If they become autodidacts then 'what school' and  'what degree' become irrelevant. Not many autodidacts generated by the Thai curriculum from what I can see, nor by many of the cheaper 'international' schools here.

Small classes, qualified teachers and personalised development plans are they keys I think, that's what I pay for anyway.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

27 minutes ago, Muzarella said:

Cha Am..very close to Bangkok and Hua Hin but with very afordable cost of ocean front living and just 2 Km from the town and the schools. 

I like and lived in Cha am but the schooling is either Petchaburi or Hu Hin  which is a tiresome daily routine, school buses available but the poor kids are sat on them for upto 90 minutes each way depending if 1st or last pick up. Schools in Cha am are overcrowded.

1 hour ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

I send my kids to international school so they rarely end up in a position where they have to answer these sort of irrelevant questions - I couldn't care less if they go to university, I care only that they receive a primary / secondary level education in an environment where cultivating inquisitiveness is foremost and they learn the process of learning. If they become autodidacts then 'what school' and  'what degree' become irrelevant. Not many autodidacts generated by the Thai curriculum from what I can see, nor by many of the cheaper 'international' schools here.

Small classes, qualified teachers and personalised development plans are they keys I think, that's what I pay for anyway.

quite a few jobs require a degree, so are they going to be inquisitive laborers?  Education is an easy major and often a place for math illiterates to hide.  Stupid parents are highly likely to have stupid kids.  If it was simply a matter of money, LA and DC would have great schools, because they spend about 14000 per year, per student.  But in fact, they are two of the lowest achieving school systems in the US.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, moontang said:

quite a few jobs require a degree, so are they going to be inquisitive laborers?  Education is an easy major and often a place for math illiterates to hide.  Stupid parents are highly likely to have stupid kids.  If it was simply a matter of money, LA and DC would have great schools, because they spend about 14000 per year, per student.  But in fact, they are two of the lowest achieving school systems in the US.  

Managed 20 years as a software developer myself including employment as a software engineer for Microsoft with nothing but a high school education, a talent for maths and English, and the motivation to build stuff so I'm not convinced many professions *really* require one - there are exceptions (for example doctor, lawyer, engineer, scientist) and in the event my kids want to go for such a profession where it is an absolute requirement then obviously I'll support their wishes - just not into the modern idea of kids going to uni by default and without much self motivation beyond 'you have to get a degree these days'.

Plenty of the kids I grew up with went to uni by default and are working as waiters and telesales ops 20 years later. The ones I know who are doing very well did medicine, law, engineering, or didn't go to uni at all and ended up doing apprenticeships or starting their own businesses early.

I'd hope that by the time they finish secondary education they would have the ability to make decisions and source further knowledge enough to get further than 'labouring' without any further formal education - plenty of opportunities for fledgling entrepreneurs out there if they have confidence, a bit of cash available, the ability to source and absorb information, and adaptability.

Definitely agree with the "Stupid parents are highly likely to have stupid kids." comment though! Education begins at home.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd