Non-Imm O - Extension based on marriage, place of residence

Hello,

I'm 29 and me and my Thai girlfriend finally got married. Now this opens up the option of an extension based on marriage. 

Now we want to initially rent a condo together in the city (Chiang Mai) for a year or 2 before buying something. She is registered with her parents in her hometown about 100 km away (still in chiang mai). 

Is it possible to apply for the extension with the condo as marital home? Or should we apply from her home at her hometown (and therefore I would have to "move" there on paper). I heard immigration will send someone over to check and I would like to have the option of not lying to them...we are living together always, we just don't own a house yet. I'd just like to hear your opinions on whats easier.

I do apologize if my writing is not clear in any way.

Edited by jiffypop

1 hour ago, jiffypop said:

Is it possible to apply for the extension with the condo as marital home

Yes, you may need a rental contract, signed copies of the landlords Tabien Baan and ID card in order to register your address with CM Immigration. You should file a TM30 at the same time.

To obtain the extension based on marriage you must be holding a Non Imm O Visa and be able to meet the financials of 40,000 baht per month income, or 400,000 baht deposited in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the date of application.

The address your wife is registered at is irrelevant. You can only apply at the office that covers the address you actually live in. Immigration will want a copy of your wife’s  house registration book (Tabian Baan), but it doesn’t matter if it’s a different address.

15 minutes ago, jiffypop said:

Thanks guys, looks like that's quite easy then since all the other requirements won't be a problem.

Apply early, and let everyone know what the latest "requirements" were at that office.

Also, per an above comment, you first need a Non-O 90-day stamp, before you can apply for the 1-year extension.  I recall reports it can be difficult at that office - for example, you must have 21-days left on your current permission-to-stay, sometimes they require an "appointment" way in the future (when you won't have 21 days left), and other scams to force you to an agent.

A workaround is a trip to Savannakhet or Vientiane Laos for a Non-O 90-day visa based on marriage, which allows you to apply for the 1-year extension in the last 30-days stay from it.