PM Prayut confirms no rice planting ban in place

webfact

PM confirms no rice planting ban in place

PNOHT610608001011901.jpg

BANGKOK, 8th June 2018 (NNT) -The Prime Minister has confirmed that no farmer has been forbidden from growing rice, while the government aims to align supply with market demands to curb oversupply and price depreciation.

Three hundred farmers from across the country met with Prime Minister Gen Prayut-Chan-o-cha on the occasion of Rice and Farmer's Day on June 5. Mr Chatchawan Taomali represented farmers' organizations to pledge their allegiance to the nation and monarchy, and to abide by the country's laws, strengthen cooperation among Thai farmers, and work with the government and private sector to achieve the Thailand 4.0 agenda. 

Gen Prayut replied that farmers are the backbone of the country and are the overseers of an important occupation. However, rice farming must plan crop cycles according to weather conditions, water supply, and market demands to prevent an oversupply of rice. Should farmers wish to increase bargaining power with middlemen, they must be able to control the production of rice. He confirmed that the government has no policy to ban rice planting. Instead, the government aims to develop the agricultural sector which requires cooperation with the state. 

Off season planting in 2018 is projected to decline from last year due to farmers converting their off season land to the production of other crops, resulting in a 2-3 million rai decrease in rice production which is in line with the government's policy.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-06-08

I have a feeling that Mr Chatchawan Taomali represented farmers' organizations might have been a plant. I asked a few farmers here what Thailands 4.0 agenda is ? could not get an answer most asked me in return and with that I could not help them either. Not to sure how many of the 300 that met with the General knew as well.

I'm a bit vague on the details of "Thailand 4.0", but I rather thought it was a digital concept - yes?

How on earth (or anywhere else for that matter), do you grow rice digitally?

?

• Like 1