Thailand eyes 50 percent cut of plastic garbage in seas in 9 years

rooster59

Words are wind.  :glare:  As the song goes, "We need a lot less talk and a lot more action."  And they say that Chicago is the 'Windy City'.  Obviously they haven't been to Bangkok.

Edited by connda

What orifice did they pull "50%" and "9 years" from? Maybe because no one remembers promises from 9 years ago?

As suggested in posts, if you want rapid dramatic change, hit them in the pocketbook regarding plastic waste. People respond to incentives

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Thanks for the post.

I notice it says "Biodegradable plastics do have some drawbacks. For example, they do not decompose unless they are disposed of properly, meaning that biodegradable plastics must be treated similarly to compost. The natural breakdown of the plastic will not occur if it is simply tossed in a landfill with other trash. This is something that concerned citizens will need to be mindful of."

At least it is definitely moving in the right direction.

From what I have seen, just going with the cassava bags, that truly is easily degradable - to the point of dissolving it in water and being able to drink it.

• Like 1

Ban plastic straws, 5% gone. Charge for plastic bags 18% will reduce to 5%. Install a recycling initiative 1 baht per every plastic bottle returned 17% reduced to 5% - people will clean up the streets for money - not the first time. 30% reduction can happen within 12 months. If only they weren't so concerned about finding their own *innovative* way to 're invent the wheel, tgere could be an overnight change.

43 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Thanks for the post.

I notice it says "Biodegradable plastics do have some drawbacks. For example, they do not decompose unless they are disposed of properly, meaning that biodegradable plastics must be treated similarly to compost. The natural breakdown of the plastic will not occur if it is simply tossed in a landfill with other trash. This is something that concerned citizens will need to be mindful of."

At least it is definitely moving in the right direction.

From what I have seen, just going with the cassava bags, that truly is easily degradable - to the point of dissolving it in water and being able to drink it.

Yep, major drawback being that disposal requires people to do the right thing...

However, as the article said, the good outweighs the bad.

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, happy chappie said:

Just banning Tesco and 7-11 from using plastic bags would be a great start and start sending the message to Thais about what is happening with the pollution they cause.makro don't issue bags and it's the way forward.

I often shop at Makro and seem to handle the no plastic bag issue without any drama - and more than often don't use the plastic bags at the other stores. 

Don't forget HEMP. A plastic substitute has been developed several years ago just as strong as petro chem and when discarded it dissolves back in the environment with no consequences. But there is no $$$$$$ in that. Oil rules the planet. 

One thing i do not understand is why more dountries don't use reusable bottles more regularly. They at least have them here in Thailand, i do not see why they are not more prevalent though. The really strange part about this is, aren't reusable bottles very capitalistic? Every time a Thai dude goes and buys a beer he has to return the bottle. What do you think he is going to do when he walks into the same shop he bought his last beer from? I think govts should require the use of these reuasable bottles... that would be one good thing they could do. 

I'd be happy if they cut 1 plastic bag per customer per purchase... 

I bought 3 items at a store tonight; a bottle of whisky, a small can of baked beans and a can of deo. The cashier lady placed the bottle of whisky in a plastic bag, which she then put in another plastic bag; the can of beans in a seperate bag AND the deo into yet another seperate bag. 3 items, 4 plastic bags! I had to explain to her to put all 3 items in the big bag(s). 

They want to reduce plastic by 50%?!?! And I want a bigger n*b... keep dreaming. Ain't going to happen. 

Edited by djayz

15 hours ago, ChrisY1 said:

The business people of Thailand making bags, one use drink containers, foam food packaging etc. will not allow any reduction in the manufacture of these products.

They're members of the Thai elite.....and they could care less about the environment!

Only a government regulation could solve this issue, and that will not happen.....the same goes for the rest of SE Asia!

The government is the elite you refer to.