Ukranian skimmers stealing from Phuket people bought 18 million baht houses

snoop1130

On 6/12/2018 at 8:32 AM, harrycallahan said:

Was sceptical reading this - how would it work? I see they scan for a Bluetooth transmitter which is often used in the skimmer. It's all good unless the scammers are happy to just retrieve the device which has details stored in memory. 

Down load and try ,is all i can offer.cheers

Without blaming the victim/s.

It's been said before, and again, again, again, and again.

Main account is a "passbook account."  ATM account is just an account for ease of payment and / or withdrawal. Eg. Visa Card.

You move money from your passbook account, that has no ATM card attached to it, onto your account that has an ATM card attached to it.

Once you withdraw that money, even if your card was skimmed, there's about 100 baht left in the account, just to keep it open, until the next time you move money into it, 10 minutes before you withdraw.

This way, the skimmers do not have access to your main savings account through a card.

It's as simple as that.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2018 at 10:46 AM, jaiyen said:

We always go inside the bank to withdraw money.  Can't get conned there. People are lazy and love their plastic money cards.  

Of course, no Thai staff would ever act as "a spotter" for other Thai criminals, would they????

They have access to your address, and the amount you have just withdrawn.

Think about it. 

On 6/16/2018 at 9:24 PM, NamKangMan said:

Without blaming the victim/s.

It's been said before, and again, again, again, and again.

Main account is a "passbook account."  ATM account is just an account for ease of payment and / or withdrawal. Eg. Visa Card.

You move money from your passbook account, that has no ATM card attached to it, onto your account that has an ATM card attached to it.

Once you withdraw that money, even if your card was skimmed, there's about 100 baht left in the account, just to keep it open, until the next time you move money into it, 10 minutes before you withdraw.

This way, the skimmers do not have access to your main savings account through a card.

It's as simple as that.

Paranoid much?? 

3 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

Paranoid much?? 

How so?

Very easy to arrange with the bank. 

The money can be transferred onto the card immediately, even as you stand near the ATM.

The most any skimmer can take from you is what you chose to leave on the card, which in my case, is only a few hundred baht. 

You are probably running antivirus on your computer/s and have passwords on your email and a pass number on your telephone etc, yet, you call this "paranoid." 

Many use this method, all around the world. 

I don't see it as being paranoid. 

On 6/12/2018 at 1:55 PM, kalidescopemind said:

People (farang or Thai) will stand behind you with phones recording you entering your pin#.  Best to go inside a bank, and look around you.

Thankful that I do not live your life

• Like 1

On 6/12/2018 at 4:55 PM, kalidescopemind said:

People (farang or Thai) will stand behind you with phones recording you entering your pin#.  Best to go inside a bank, and look around you.

They are not using phones to record your PIN.

They are using RFID "sniffers" or "skimmers" to read and record the information on the chip in your card.  This is done wireless. 

This is common in airports for identity theft with the chips in passports. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFID_skimming

6 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

They are not using phones to record your PIN.

They are using RFID "sniffers" or "skimmers" to read and record the information on the chip in your card.  This is done wireless. 

This is common in airports for identity theft with the chips in passports. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RFID_skimming

No, not common.

4 hours ago, stevenl said:

No, not common.

More common than you think.

The "sniffers" used at ATM's is for credit card details.  The "sniffers" used in airports are for identity theft. 

Edited by NamKangMan

18 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

More common than you think.

The "sniffers" used at ATM's is for credit card details.  The "sniffers" used in airports are for identity theft. 

You don't know what I think.

No, it is not common as you claimed: " This is common in airports for identity theft with the chips in passports.  "

I'm out.

18 minutes ago, stevenl said:

You don't know what I think.

No, it is not common as you claimed: " This is common in airports for identity theft with the chips in passports.  "

I'm out.

Are there credit card numbers in passport RFID chips????   No.

It is therefore "common" to use RFID "sniffers / detectors" in airports for the purpose of identity theft, not for the purpose of gaining credit card numbers.

Once someone's identity has been stolen, the "fraud / theft" comes later. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/12/2018 at 11:42 AM, chang50 said:

Push and pull where exactly?

Always give the surrounding component where the card goes in a quick tug - on some it's a green flashing plastic thing, others just a metal lump that protrudes a bit. They often cover it with an identical cover which contains card-reading tech. On a real device they're strong and can handle a bit of pressure, which will loosen a fake. And a fingernail under the keypad will usually lift a fake set of number keys too. Most important is to cover your hand when you key in the PIN. They're great at hiding small cameras to record the key sequence. If you use the Skimmer Scanner app (Android), turn off Bluetooth on your phone before you open the app - it turns it on itself when you run the app. It'll find a skimmer within 10 metres so you can scan every ATM with one run when there's a bunch of 'em together