Thai Commerce Min handles oversupply of pineapples

webfact

Commerce Min handles oversupply of pineapples

PNECO610612001000101.jpg

BANGKOK, 12th June 2018 (NNT) - The Ministry of Commerce is trying to find new markets for pineapples in an attempt to keep pineapple prices from falling further. 

Due to an oversupply of pineapples, a sub-committee overseeing matters related to the export of pineapples and the pineapple market are to convene a meeting at the Ministry of Commerce to solve the problem. 

More efforts are expected to be made to boost pineapple exports and consumption especially in provinces where pineapples are not a common fruit. 

Bangchak Corporation Plc Ltd has bought fresh pineapples from farmers in Prachuap Khiri Khan to help them cope with the price slump. The company will produce dried pineapple and give it to people as a gift at its petrol stations nationwide. 

More support from both public and private organizations; including Blue Flag stores, supermarkets and PTT Plc Ltd, will also be sought to help pineapple farmers.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-06-12

8 minutes ago, kannot said:

well, its doesnt really work like that, its 12  months  from planting to getting at a  minimum, last year they didnt  have enough to go round, price 12 baht  a  kilo, price now 1.4  baht a kilo, costs almost 1  baht to buy the plant to start with, Ive just brought up 100 pineapples to Bangkok to give away for free to the folks in our condo building here, Id  rather give em away than let them rot on the ground. I dont grow  them for profit, I grow them to make the land look tidy and not a jungle.

P1000736.JPG

Last year didn't have enough...so price was higher, then?

People then think, hmm...there's money in growing those things?

Said persons then plant pineapples?

Result... too many pineapples.

Solution...grow less pineapples.

Fair play to you, though. Giving them away rather than let them rot.

23 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Last year didn't have enough...so price was higher, then?

People then think, hmm...there's money in growing those things?

Said persons then plant pineapples?

Result... too many pineapples.

Solution...grow less pineapples.

Fair play to you, though. Giving them away rather than let them rot.

Dont grow em for profit, Ive had them for about 6  years  now, all crops in Thailand go like  this, Rubber was the big  thing about 5  years ago then nose dived, they swapped to pineapples, Mango prices also crap at the moment, oil palm is up a bit but the  trees take years to develop.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kannot said:

Dont grow em for profit, Ive had them for about 6  years  now, all crops in Thailand go like  this, Rubber was the big  thing about 5  years ago then nose dived, they swapped to pineapples, Mango prices also crap at the moment, oil palm is up a bit but the  trees take years to develop.

"now, all crops in Thailand go like  this"

That was my point to be honest.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

"now, all crops in Thailand go like  this"

That was my point to be honest.

am gonna  try fairy dust next, reckon itll be the next big  thing.............then again years back it was "Mr  Bun" rememeber that? theyd  queue for hours outside the shop to buy a stodgy doughnut more or  less

• Haha 1

On 6/12/2018 at 6:42 PM, Oziex1 said:

So this is what happens when they actually do become a hub of something.

The hub of rotting pineapples, while a committee dithers,

Ugh!...The last thing Thailand needs is millions of rotting, fermenting pineap......Hey!.....WAIT...A....MINUTE!!!!!

• Haha 1

They should hire some expert winemakers and make a great pineapple wine. Tourists can bring it home, drink it here and so on.

I don't understand why the thai don't make good products from their fruit...dried mango isn't cheap at all, same goes for durianchips or dried pineapple.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kannot said:

Gawd you are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo judgemental, there were pineapples there when I bought the land, go stick yer head back up yer arse pal

Agreed.  Some people need to engage brain before whipping out their deadly keyboard and churning out self righteous rubbish which clearly had not been researched. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

19 hours ago, kannot said:

Gawd you are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo judgemental, there were pineapples there when I bought the land, go stick yer head back up yer arse pal

Can I assume that you are not replanting or hydrating the pineapples and letting the natural flora and forna grow back then? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, BuaBS said:

Other countries put pineapples in cans.

At the supermarket in europe there are african canned pineapples .

Why not Thai ?

MANY canning factories round by me in  Prachuap the home of Thai pineapples as its I believe the driest province and pineapples dont  like a lot of rain as they are  succulents

1 hour ago, kannot said:

MANY canning factories round by me in  Prachuap the home of Thai pineapples as its I believe the driest province and pineapples dont  like a lot of rain as they are  succulents

Driest province ? Maybe of mid/south Thailand.

Lots of pineapples in Chonburi , your find them in the supermarket named Chonburi sapparot , big green pineapples.

Here up north mostly smaller ones.

On 6/12/2018 at 3:46 PM, kannot said:

Rather a crap reply. Why not plant teak, mahogany, bamboo, banana and the vast number of other forest trees and give a little back?

Would easily take care of your erosion problems and encourage diversity. We grow the above, plus those sexy palms, coconut, loads of trees in and around the rubber.

Would save you then complaining you can't get staff to look after your pineapple.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, grollies said:

Rather a crap reply. Why not plant teak, mahogany, bamboo, banana and the vast number of other forest trees and give a little back?

Would easily take care of your erosion problems and encourage diversity. We grow the above, plus those sexy palms, coconut, loads of trees in and around the rubber.

Would save you then complaining you can't get staff to look after your pineapple.

Pineapples the easiest plant to take care of requires the least work but I guess you are  "fully  staffed" and have no problems finding staff eh?

Give back? give back what? to a country that doesnt really want me hahahaha

Bamboo requires a lot of water as do Bananas I grow 4  different types inc red, a  very large one about 3  times the size of a Thai banana and also the very long  ones.

In the last 3-4 years its been a drought in Prachuap only this year have we had normal rain, pineapples require no watering........... do you live in a  dry location? Many palms  I grow are desert palms Medemia being one of those. If I planted  Teak Id  need a security guard as they would be nicked once they got to a decent  size.

I hope youve injected your  coconuts as if  you havent they will be destroyed by Holmaledra Moth larvae

Edited by kannot

2 hours ago, BuaBS said:

Driest province ? Maybe of mid/south Thailand.

Lots of pineapples in Chonburi , your find them in the supermarket named Chonburi sapparot , big green pineapples.

Here up north mostly smaller ones.

Pranburi/SamRoi Yot lie in the rain shadow of the Mountains of Myanmar, its dry. Most gets dumped on Myanmar first.

Edited by kannot
  • Like 1

Last week I was buying Rambutan of the back of a truck for 20 baht a kilo.

What is the cost of pineapple now? I have been hunkered down in my condo

with a cold. I have just been stepping out to swim in the pool. 

I will venture forth to support the pineapple farmers tomorrow.