Locally availabe & affordable coffee-machine with capsules?

moonseeker

I was looking into this also, but did not find good coffee (capsules) locally. But since my arrival to Thailand few years back, Nespresso has finally opened it's first official shop in Bangkok (Siam Paragon) and (I think) produces locally, as the price per capsule came down from 50 Baht (few years back) to now only around 22-26 Baht per capsule (depends on the coffee you choose). Machines are also readily available from there, range from 5'500 to 16'300 Baht if you want with hot milk froster. You can order through the website or through the app in the play store (yes, google phone)

I bought the Latissima tough and all my coffee through the website and received everything NEXT DAY with Kerry Express (BKK to Pattaya). The same is now when I order coffee capsules, they arrive next day with Kerry. Family uses 4 capsules per day, so around 3'000 Baht per month, for me the coffee quality and ease of use is worth that price.

Edited by Swiss1960
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

I was looking into this also, but did not find good coffee (capsules) locally. But since my arrival to Thailand few years back, Nespresso has finally opened it's first official shop in Bangkok (Siam Paragon) and (I think) produces locally, as the price per capsule came down from 50 Baht (few years back) to now only around 22-26 Baht per capsule (depends on the coffee you choose). Machines are also readily available from there, range from 5'500 to 16'300 Baht if you want with hot milk froster. You can order through the website or through the app in the play store (yes, google phone)

I bought the Latissima tough and all my coffee through the website and received everything NEXT DAY with Kerry Express (BKK to Pattaya). The same is now when I order coffee capsules, they arrive next day with Kerry. Family uses 4 capsules per day, so around 3'000 Baht per month, for me the coffee quality and ease of use is worth that price.

Thank you for that detailed and very informative info. Sounds excellent. Regards. MS>

French Press.

Simple.

Traditional.

Nothing to go wrong.

200g coffee anywhere between 120-180 baht depending on brand and flavor.

By the way, what the hell is a coffee capsule?

Coffee version of a tea bag?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

French Press.

Simple.

Traditional.

Nothing to go wrong.

Not everybody has the same simplistic taste... I enjoy having around 5 different flavors and strengths matching different moods, meals and times of day... and I enjoy trying new flavors from all over the world with just the click of a mouth away...

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, thaiguzzi said:

French Press.

Simple.

Traditional.

Nothing to go wrong.

I assume a French press is like a Boden plunger style coffee maker? I had one for years but was never impressed with the coffee although I tried many different blends. I ended up buying an old fashioned Breville electric percolator that produced nice coffee IMO.

Breville.jpg

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

Not everybody has the same simplistic taste... I enjoy having around 5 different flavors and strengths matching different moods, meals and times of day... and I enjoy trying new flavors from all over the world with just the click of a mouth away...

I'm a bit of a coffee aficionado as well.  I started reading this thread and looked up on top of my kitchen cabinets, low and behold...a coffee maker (6-8cup), a french press, an espresso maker (stovetop manual).  In the cupboard, a few different types of instant crap, various 3-1, various ground coffees. 

What I'm looking for is a reliable (affordable) espresso/coffee maker, that automatically grinds beans, makes the beverage.  I have one back home, love it.  Anyone have a reliable machine experience here, and have a source for coffee beans?

phpFIiQtn.jpg

Edited by CanuckThai
penmanship

" What I'm looking for is a reliable (affordable) espresso/coffee maker, that automatically grinds beans, makes the beverage.  I have one back home, love it.  Anyone have a reliable machine experience here, and have a source for coffee beans?"

If you ever get to Bangkok, there is a store called "Abstract 13" in Phra Khanong on Sukhumvit 71, corner of Soi 16.  They specialize in high quality, European coffee machines in the mid to high price range.  They also sell several house blends of Thai coffee (I love the "Abstract Blue") for very reasonable prices.

PM me if you want complete directions.

Edited by dddave
  • Thanks 1

problem with capsule system is that you're at the mercy of the importer here in Thailand.

BonCafe had a system a while back that they discontinued, and the new capsule system they currently sell is not compatible

There's two Nescafe system now dolce gusto and nespreso, dolce gusto is more available in local supermarkets

If you can accept that 2-3 years down the line the importers could discontinue and leave you with expensive paperweight, then that's ok. established brand like Nespresso will always have people bringing them in 'grey market'

Proper espresso machine and grinder on the other hand, takes any beans, but of course it require some skill to build the drinks and clean, fully automated machine also available, if you can't be bothered with grinding, tamping and associated mess and cleaning there's also well established 'pod' system that you can use and throw the coffee grounds away like capsule, works in any espresso machine but the pods do come in less variety than capsules. But decent proper espresso machine setup is at least double those of the capsule machine. It depends on how much you drink for the cost of machine vs each coffee cost to see how a more expensive proper setup would save you in the long run.

Nothing wrong with capsule machine of course, but see where you normally shop to see if you can get the capsule regularly

45 minutes ago, dddave said:

" What I'm looking for is a reliable (affordable) espresso/coffee maker, that automatically grinds beans, makes the beverage.  I have one back home, love it.  Anyone have a reliable machine experience here, and have a source for coffee beans?"

If you ever get to Bangkok, there is a store called "Abstract 13" in Phra Khanong on Sukhumvit 71, corner of Soi 16.  They specialize in high quality, European coffee machines in the mid to high price range.  They also sell several house blends of Thai coffee (I love the "Abstract Blue") for very reasonable prices.

PM me if you want complete directions.

I just googled "Abstract 13".  Perfect, thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I do wish you would reconsider capsules. Thailand is already awash in plastic, and these things sure won't help the situation.  Making good coffee is not rocket science. Yeah, they are convenient and all that. Just asking for a bit of consideration for this already highly polluted environment

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
I do wish you would reconsider capsules. Thailand is already awash in plastic, and these things sure won't help the situation.  Making good coffee is not rocket science. Yeah, they are convenient and all that. Just asking for a bit of consideration for this already highly polluted environment
One: Nespresso capsules are aluminium and not plastic and
Two: Nespresso has a capsule recycling program worldwide, currently you have to bring or send them to their BkK shop

Sent from my CPH1821 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Thanks 1

Capsule machines are more or less a scam if you ask me, you have to pay up to 10 times more for the same cup , just because the coffee is inside a capsule.  

An espresso machine with a built-in grinder is the way to go . I only paid €280 for mine , but I brought it with me from Europe.  

And so many different coffee beans you can choose from , for Thai beans only 500 baht for a kilo , you do the math and see how much you save compared to a capsule machine if you drink 2 cups daily .

But I buy Colombian import beans  , they are better for my taste.  

• Like 2

On 7/19/2018 at 4:32 AM, Swiss1960 said:

Two: Nespresso has a capsule recycling program worldwide, currently you have to bring or send them to their BkK shop

Must be like trying to give a TM report at a police station in the sticks, happens so rarely you'll probably get to take a photo with the big wig.

I used a Nespresso in the UK for a couple of years even used to go to their London Regent st very nice shop but i got bored with the coffee..

I recommend beans from Benjamet coffee shop at the end of Soi Buakhao.

Also, in Haven on Lengkee they have a nice what tastes like percolator coffee, i keep meaning to check but its a rare thing these days, in fact the only place i know that still sells it

• Like 1