REPORT: Do it Yourself Retirement Visa (Pattaya) Chonburi Immigration

the op can call himself a very lucky person for we had past reports here, stating that they were referred to a preferred agency in pattaya to have the conversion done. obviously the preference changed at jomtien and do-it-yourself appears feasible.

wbr

roobaa01

2 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

Which desk will handle the stamp? From what I can tell I am to go back to desk 7 at Chonburi immigration for the "result"

As far as I know it will be the same desk where you applied for the visa.

2 minutes ago, roobaa01 said:

the op can call himself a very lucky person for we had past reports here, stating that they were referred to a preferred agency in pattaya to have the conversion done. obviously the preference changed at jomtien and do-it-yourself appears feasible.

wbr

roobaa01

Considering the attitude of the officer at the 7 desk I would be willing to bet they want the agency contact, perhaps for more reasons than the paper work being more or less correct when presented. After my first visit I had to return to the desk 2 times before the application was accepted. Took me 2 days and a total of about 3 hours. The second day it looked like a few agency reps were there with a huge gift basket involved in the visit. My number was 708 and 707 appeared on the screen for two hours.

• Like 1

I have a 1 year Non-O based on marriage obtained in Savannakhet which expires early in September. I plan to apply for a retirement visa and have recently put 800k in the bank to let it season for 2 months. I should then be able to apply for said visa on August 15th, just 4 days before my current 3 months stay in Thailand expires.

Question 1; Will this be enough time for the application to be processed (in Jomtien) before my current period of stay expires?

Question 2; Is there a link to the complete list of documents required for a first time application?

59 minutes ago, Becker said:

I have a 1 year Non-O based on marriage obtained in Savannakhet which expires early in September. I plan to apply for a retirement visa and have recently put 800k in the bank to let it season for 2 months. I should then be able to apply for said visa on August 15th, just 4 days before my current 3 months stay in Thailand expires.

Question 1; Will this be enough time for the application to be processed (in Jomtien) before my current period of stay expires?

Question 2; Is there a link to the complete list of documents required for a first time application?

You will be applying for an extension of stay based upon retirement not a visa.

The money needs to be in the bank for 60 days not 2 months.

1. Yes it will be enough time.

2. Have you done a TM30 form at Jomtien?

You will need a letter from your bank confirming your account and the balance in it. Latest reports is that they will accept a letter that is up to 3 days old. Copies of your bank book showing the money has been in the bank for at least 60 days.

Copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry stamp and TM6 departure card.

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You will be applying for an extension of stay based upon retirement not a visa.

The money needs to be in the bank for 60 days not 2 months.

1. Yes it will be enough time.

2. Have you done a TM30 form at Jomtien?

You will need a letter from your bank confirming your account and the balance in it. Latest reports is that they will accept a letter that is up to 3 days old. Copies of your bank book showing the money has been in the bank for at least 60 days.

Copies of your passport photo page, visa, entry stamp and TM6 departure card.

I and my wife have done the required reporting of my presence in my house at Immigration a day after my last arrival in Thailand and I guess that was the TM30 you were referring to?

Could you please let me know which application form to use for an extension of stay based upon retirement?

15 minutes ago, Becker said:

I and my wife have done the required reporting of my presence in my house at Immigration a day after my last arrival in Thailand and I guess that was the TM30 you were referring to?

Could you please let me know which application form to use for an extension of stay based upon retirement?

You did the TM30 form report. You may still need proof of residence when you apply.

You will use a TM7 form with a 4 X 6 photo attached. Download, complete and print 2 sided this Fillable TM7 form.pdf.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

Is the 7 desk responsible for making the Non-Imm "O" visa stamp?

If you don't have a Non-O stamp yet, then yes, you go back to her for that. 

But for the 1-year extension, which is the point when you will need the income-letter again, that will be at the Retirement desk.  You will need to return in the last 30-days of your 90-day Non-O permission-of-stay to apply for it.

As to doing it in Bangkok - yes, they only ask for the actual requirements - no extras - but as UJ said, you have to have an address there to use that office. 

In my case, given my wasted effort trying to get my Non-O stamp in Jomtien, plus the trip I made out for a Non-O Visa at a consulate instead, it would have been better to rent a room in Bangkok for a month to use the Chang Wattana office.  I am glad to hear you managed to make it work in Jomtien.

Edited by JackThompson

On 6/16/2018 at 10:18 AM, ubonjoe said:

Normally they will pull the original income affidavit form the file for the visa application for the extension application or accept a copy of it.

The legalization is not needed for a extension application.

Interesting. So if they "pull" the original from the files, does that mean that they actually keep my full application at the Jomtien Immigration office? How exactly does my application get "approved" by the higher authority now involved? Does Jomtien Immigration send a copy of my application to some higher authority office? Does anyone have the inside track for exactly what happens behind the scenes for a Tourist Visa to Non-Immigration "O" Visa conversion for purpose of retirement?

Edited by likerdup1

On 6/17/2018 at 10:56 PM, JackThompson said:

If you don't have a Non-O stamp yet, then yes, you go back to her for that. 

But for the 1-year extension, which is the point when you will need the income-letter again, that will be at the Retirement desk.  You will need to return in the last 30-days of your 90-day Non-O permission-of-stay to apply for it.

As to doing it in Bangkok - yes, they only ask for the actual requirements - no extras - but as UJ said, you have to have an address there to use that office. 

In my case, given my wasted effort trying to get my Non-O stamp in Jomtien, plus the trip I made out for a Non-O Visa at a consulate instead, it would have been better to rent a room in Bangkok for a month to use the Chang Wattana office.  I am glad to hear you managed to make it work in Jomtien.

So, let me try to understand. Did Jomtien Immigration never accept your Non "O" application? Or did it get accepted then rejected? Did the 7 desk office just flat out tell you they wouldn't do it? Or keep refusing your paperwork? I certainly was given the run around by the 7 desk female officer. I went there 3 times 1st day sent away for more paperwork. 2nd day had to go twice.

I got hammered here on TV for paying 15K plus I believe 1900 to have mine done. Had to go to BKK first time to get income Doc. Don't remember any certification on the back. Gave my lady income doc, lease, pp and two photos. Picked up my extension I recall a few days later. Now I just renewed last month, took ten minutes of my time plus I can call her anytime if I have a question or problem. Bargain for me because I have no patience with that crap, I just want it done. I have residency in both Brazil and Costa Rica and each cost me thousands and years to complete. Here it basically took one trip to BKK and if my funds had been seasoned it would have taken less than an hour on my part. It is good though that you got the experience!
Is it possible you can share the agent's name in a private message? I want to use the service

Sent from my BND-L34 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

5 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

So, let me try to understand. Did Jomtien Immigration never accept your Non "O" application? Or did it get accepted then rejected? Did the 7 desk office just flat out tell you they wouldn't do it? Or keep refusing your paperwork? I certainly was given the run around by the 7 desk female officer. I went there 3 times 1st day sent away for more paperwork. 2nd day had to go twice.

I was told that they would not accept an income-statement from my embassy - period - even with the MFA stamp on it, and bank-books showing at least that much coming in every month for many months. 

I was handed a custom list (looked like made-up as a Word doc - no official number) of qualifications, which only somewhat overlapped with the official list, and did not include income as an option.

My documents were, therefore, never accepted in the first place.  I think maybe enough people have complained, that they now accept income, again.  Since they accepted your docs, I think you should be fine.  Bangkok was never the problem - it was the personnel in that office, fishing for extra $$ via an agent.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/15/2018 at 7:08 PM, JimGant said:

Went to the legal department of Thailand Dept of Consular Affairs at Chang Wattana government facility Bangkok 3rd floor and got the embassy letter certified. (The certification is actually a sticker that is affixed to the back of the letter saying stating that the signature of the US notary is authentic)

Anybody else ever have to do this? And if so, was this also related to Chonburi?

I've never thought about doing this. Why would an official Embassy statutory declaration document need to be authenticated? What's the benefit of the USA Embassy's outreach program if you have to go to DFA anyway?

Edit: Noted Ubonjoe's explanation above. It's necessary for conversion purposes only.

Edited by tropo

4 minutes ago, tropo said:

Why would an official Embassy statutory declaration document need to be authenticated?

It is not required at the majority of immigration offices for an extension application and in Chonburi only for a non immigrant visa application. The few that want it for an extension are all near Bangkok.

It is actually a verification of the consular officers signature on the document not the document itself.

• Like 1

Last week I arrived on a 30 day, with plans on getting my retirement visa. I have done it once before, so I had some clue as to what to expect.

I first went to the side office and gave them the chore of filling out my paperwork. I prefer knowing that everything is in order before going in to office #7. I remember years ago, that tips were optional at the side office. Then 2 years ago i was asked to pay 200 to have them do my paperwork. Now this time I was charged 600. Low season surcharge maybe. The same guy from Nepal, there in charge. It seems that he offers everyone a second option of quick approval with his help. I was quoted 21000 to speed along my application. Even though I qualify already. I saw him ask another guy for 38000, to help him get a visa for his farang wife.

I found out I needed more documents. Had to return next day with them. Even then, they werent happy with my landlords ID card, and I had to fix that. 

I have heard some guys here say that its silly to bring along a thai gf to help at immigration, but I have found it to be of great help. It seems clear that the staff prefers when a thai gf is there to help them with any problems.

Entering office#7, I was a bit wary, hearing the stories of how she is trying to grab extra cash to assure visa guarantee. However. it turned out excellent. Im pretty sure she remembered me from the past. She was all smiles and we had a nice chat. She was curious as to why I let my last retirement visa expire. I told her that I had to return home to do chemo for cancer. She told me about some natural remedy that a family member of hers had taken. She insisted that I come in the next day, so she could give me some of it to take myself. I did return, and she did remember to bring it. 

My paperwork was fine, as expected. I paid the 2000 and asked to come back on last day of my 30 days. Same as the OP. They gave passport back to me. So it gets stamped in jomtien upon return? I thought it remained with them. But maybe im thinking of when I go back for the OA.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, thebestman36 said:

Last week I arrived on a 30 day, with plans on getting my retirement visa. I have done it once before, so I had some clue as to what to expect.

I first went to the side office and gave them the chore of filling out my paperwork. I prefer knowing that everything is in order before going in to office #7. I remember years ago, that tips were optional at the side office. Then 2 years ago i was asked to pay 200 to have them do my paperwork. Now this time I was charged 600. Low season surcharge maybe. The same guy from Nepal, there in charge. It seems that he offers everyone a second option of quick approval with his help. I was quoted 21000 to speed along my application. Even though I qualify already. I saw him ask another guy for 38000, to help him get a visa for his farang wife.

I found out I needed more documents. Had to return next day with them. Even then, they werent happy with my landlords ID card, and I had to fix that. 

I have heard some guys here say that its silly to bring along a thai gf to help at immigration, but I have found it to be of great help. It seems clear that the staff prefers when a thai gf is there to help them with any problems.

Entering office#7, I was a bit wary, hearing the stories of how she is trying to grab extra cash to assure visa guarantee. However. it turned out excellent. Im pretty sure she remembered me from the past. She was all smiles and we had a nice chat. She was curious as to why I let my last retirement visa expire. I told her that I had to return home to do chemo for cancer. She told me about some natural remedy that a family member of hers had taken. She insisted that I come in the next day, so she could give me some of it to take myself. I did return, and she did remember to bring it. 

My paperwork was fine, as expected. I paid the 2000 and asked to come back on last day of my 30 days. Same as the OP. They gave passport back to me. So it gets stamped in jomtien upon return? I thought it remained with them. But maybe im thinking of when I go back for the OA.

Glad everything went thru for you.

600 b yes that seems way too high. ?

Next time just try to do the paperwork yourself.  Just take your time filling it out you will be fine I bet.

43 minutes ago, thebestman36 said:

They do not keep your passport when you do the visa application.

When you do your extension of stay based upon retirement (it is not a OA visa) application they may keep your passport overnight.

1 hour ago, thebestman36 said:

There are potential pros and cons. 

On the "con" side: A Thai lady will likely not contest anything "officials" say - always deferring to anyone in uniform; you will have no idea what they are talking about (unless you understand Thai well), and must then rely on a translation to your language of the events that transpired; if the staff are rude to her, it will not be a happy experience, and you will want to throttle the staff (which won't help).

On the "pro" side - if you are at an office that serves her home-province, maybe she and the staff have a common-background, and will become friendly.  In that case, staff may be more helpful than normal.

Also - a list of all documents required, in your case, would help any future applicants at that office (assuming there is some consistency at play).  Also whether you used money "in the bank" (seasoned 60-days?) or an embassy income-letter, or a combination.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

There are potential pros and cons. 

On the "con" side: A Thai lady will likely not contest anything "officials" say - always deferring to anyone in uniform; you will have no idea what they are talking about (unless you understand Thai well), and must then rely on a translation to your language of the events that transpired; if the staff are rude to her, it will not be a happy experience, and you will want to throttle the staff (which won't help).

On the "pro" side - if you are at an office that serves her home-province, maybe she and the staff have a common-background, and will become friendly.  In that case, staff may be more helpful than normal.

I agree I would not take one here.

I bet there first thought is why do you need that buffer.

But, a place like Issan no problem.

On 6/20/2018 at 4:58 PM, tropo said:

I've never thought about doing this. Why would an official Embassy statutory declaration document need to be authenticated? What's the benefit of the USA Embassy's outreach program if you have to go to DFA anyway?

Edit: Noted Ubonjoe's explanation above. It's necessary for conversion purposes only.

My understanding is that the outreach program has been recently limited to once a year making the program even less useful to expats who have extension renewal dates farther out than 6 months from the now annual outreach service. Currently Thai Immigration only excepts income docs less than 6 months old. So for roughly half of us going to BKK will be necessary to obtain the notary services now. "Times they are a changing".

Edited by likerdup1

14 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

My understanding is that the outreach program has been recently limited to once a year making the program even less useful to expats who have extension renewal dates farther out than 6 months from the now annual outreach service.

That is only for Pattaya. There is total of 3 for the other locations this year that are much further from Bangkok than Pattaya is.

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is only for Pattaya. There is total of 3 for the other locations this year that are much further from Bangkok than Pattaya is.

OK Pattaya only. The trip to Bangkok is not that big a deal from Pattaya to the US Embassy. Pattaya to Chang Wattana is not pleaant. Bus two hours plus a taxi ride 20-25 minutes. A couple of the taxi drivers I had were a bit tough to deal with. Using Google maps helps. My last taxi from Chang Wattana to Mochit Bus station was a bit of a scammer. Tried to get me to agree to go on the tollway. Google maps said otherwise. 70 Baht extra and would have been actually longer in time and distance.

7 hours ago, likerdup1 said:

My last taxi from Chang Wattana to Mochit Bus station was a bit of a scammer. Tried to get me to agree to go on the tollway. Google maps said otherwise. 70 Baht extra and would have been actually longer in time and distance.

lucky you!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/16/2018 at 7:55 PM, daocat555 said:

"Went to the legal department of Thailand Dept of Consular Affairs at Chang Wattana government facility Bangkok 3rd floor and got the embassy letter certified. (The certification is actually a sticker that is affixed to the back of the letter saying stating that the signature of the US notary is authentic)"

I never heard of this before.  I have heard that Chonburi is a difficult place to get a conversion to a non Immigrant visa.  What I did was do my conversion at the Bangkok Office, even though I planned to live in Pattaya.  Once the conversion was done then I got the retirement visa in Chonburi, which I did myself using yet another notarized income statement from the US Embassy, a six month rental lease for my room at a Guesthouse(didn't need that when I got my previous Retirement Visa at Chonburi), and getting my landlady to fill out a TM 30.  For sure Chonburi didn't require me to get the Income Statement from the US Embassy certified; and I did this just three months ago.

What address did you use on your conversion application in Bangkok? Was it a Bangkok address or Pattaya? This is interesting and I wonder if I should have done this instead because of the trouble I had to go through to get the application accepted. thanks

55 minutes ago, likerdup1 said:

What address did you use on your conversion application in Bangkok? Was it a Bangkok address or Pattaya? This is interesting and I wonder if I should have done this instead because of the trouble I had to go through to get the application accepted. thanks

That might of been in the past when Bangkok would do them without a Bangkok address.

Now you have to have a address for Bangkok or they will turn you away and tell you to do it at your local office,

• Thanks 1

APPLYING FOR A 1 YEAR EXTENSION IN JOMTIEN IF YOUR 90 DAY NON-O VISA IS FROM ANOTHER PROVINCE?

I may be moving to Jomtien in August.  My Non-O Visa was just granted to me today July 3 in Chiang Mai and expires on Sep 30.  My condo lease ends August 15 in Chiang Mai, and I am considering the possibility of moving to Jomtien.

Can anybody advise if I will have issues applying for the 1 year extension in Jomtien if my 90 day Non-O was issued by another Province (Chiang Mai)?

I was just at Imm office in Chiang Mai and asked an officer there but he said he couldn't advise me and suggested I find out from Chun Buri what their policy is.  I'm hoping someone on here might have some ideas before I reach out to them.

15 hours ago, Kohsamida said:

Can anybody advise if I will have issues applying for the 1 year extension in Jomtien if my 90 day Non-O was issued by another Province (Chiang Mai)?

There should be no problem doing it. It should make no difference where the visa was issued.

At one time people were applying for the visa in Bangkok and then applying at their local office for the extension.

• Thanks 1