Ministry Of Agriculture And Cooperatives Decides To Make The Royal Flora Venue Into A Place Serving Four Great Purposes

Jai Dee

Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives decides to make the Royal Flora venue into a place serving four great purposes

Mr. Thira Sutabutra (ธีระ สูตะบุตร), Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives revealed that a ministerial working group has resolved to turn the site of the International Horticultural Exposition, or Royal Flora Ratchaphruek 2006 into a place that serves four important purposes; a learning center for people and youths, a tourist attraction, a place to support agricultural research, and a meeting place between the private sector and farmers in the hope to expand market and open up new market channels.

The place will be administered in the form of a foundation by Chiang Mai's Provincial Administrative Organization, in coordination with local and central units. It will be self-supported through collection of inexpensive admission fees.

The Minister stated that after the expo ends, the area will be closed for two months for improvement which will not require much budget. However he insists that the place will be more beautiful as trees will become bigger, while at the temperature controlling building, various plants will be rotated for demonstration.

As for the proposal to aggregate the venue with the Chiangmai Night Safari, the Minister said that such decision would be impossible because the Safari is a public organization whose administration and management is different.

However, in the future these two places may join together in form of a tour package.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 01 February 2007

I drove past the main entrance around 5:30 pm yesterday, and it appeared that everybody in the northern provinces was driving in to take one last look at the wilting displays. I drove past again around 8:10, and the fireworks were exploding for the last time. Quite a crowd.

Perhaps the Night Safari is so bad, that nobody even wants to be attached to it. Nobody will admit they've even been there. Does anyone care for tiger steak or rhinocerous stew?

MOAC prepares to turn Royal Flora Ratchaphreuk venue into agricultural knowledge center

Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives (MOAC) prepares to turn the venue of the Royal Flora Ratchaphreuk 2006 into a center of agricultural knowledge as well as a source of agricultural researches.

Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives Thira Sutabutr (ธีระ สูตะบุตร) said that the Royal Flora Ratchaphreuk 2006, which ended yesterday (January, 31), is deemed very successful. Foreign visitors have voiced complements to the fair and the total number of visitors throughout the period of three months reaches about four millions, exceeding the target of two millions.

The ministry has planned to divide the venue into four sections. The first section will provide agricultural knowledge for youth while the second section will be renovated to be a new tourist attraction. The third section will be a source of agricultural researches and the fourth section the meeting place for farmers.

In addition, the management of the venue will be similar to that of the King Rama IX Royal Park. The ministry expects to adjust the area for two months before constructing the area into four sections.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 01 February 2007

Tranquil ambience at the Royal Flora Ratchaphruek 2006

The general atmosphere at the Royal Flora Ratchaphruek 2006 is fairly quite following its official closing ceremony. Meanwhile, Agriculture Department director-general Adisak Sreesunpagit led a group of officials to make merit at the exposition.

After the closing ceremony, visitors are not allowed to visit the Royal Flora Ratchaphruek 2006, and certain areas inside the event have been closed down, such as the Expo Center. Construction vehicles and machines are gradually being transported to the event while garbage and waste materials are being removed.

Since the opening date on November 1st 2006 to January 31st 2007, the expo welcomed a total of 3,840,468 visitors, and about half of them came in groups. On one day, 1,300 groups of visitors traveled to the expo. Out of those visitors, 300,000 were foreign tourists, mainly from Asia, Europe and Scandinavia.

On one day, 1,300 groups of visitors traveled to the expo. Out of those visitors, 300,000 were foreign tourists, mainly from Asia, Europe and Scandinavia.

Must be through the looking glass, or was that a bloody big rabbit hole I fell down. 300,000 foreign tourists in one day! Hmmmmmmmmm.

Apart from that, at least we now officially know that Scandinavia is not part of Europe...

It truly amazes me that an expo such as this could be arranged without decisions being made during the planning stages as to what to do with the site thereafter. Truly "The Thai Way" is different from elsewhere!

It truly amazes me that an expo such as this could be arranged without decisions being made during the planning stages as to what to do with the site thereafter. Truly "The Thai Way" is different from elsewhere!

Well they certainly had plans for the 8 tonne bronze "coin" :o

I just feel sorry for all the folk that lost a lot of money setting up stalls/shops along the approach road & around Doi Kham.. they were well and truly screwed !!

i live less than 3km away from it.. rode around it today on my MTB... a sorry site, all those potentially profitable businesses being torn down..

i kinda missed all the car park touts aswell...

I hope that sufficient funds will be available, under this new plan, to maintain the site at somewhere near its present standard, without being a total drain on the 'public purse'.

It would have made a nice campus for a new university, as well.

Chok Di ! :o

• 1 month later...

NOT SO !! ever heard of the Millenium Dome in London??......still rotting away and costing the public purse millions