Toyota Sportrider, 3 Different Engines ?

I want to buy a Toyota Sportrider, now it seems that they were made until about 1999 with a 3.0 D engine, apparently using a lot of petrol. After that a so called KZ engine later on with turbo. The last engine is D4D.

Does any of you have experience with one (or more) of this types, fact is that the car with oldest engine is very affordable, D4D almost always with automatic while I am looking for a manual.

One dealer over here has this KZ engined car (it says 3.0 EFI Turbo)

Please your opinion.

Hans

Hans,

I have owned a 5-speed manual 1999 model Sport Rider, with the original 3.0 ltr diesel engine, for the last 5 years. Yes, it's a bit noisy at around 2,000 rpm and acceleration is krap so you have to think twice before overtaking a convoy of sugar cane lorries when you are fully loaded. But on the plus side, it is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned and there is masses of space inside if you (like I) have a large family, complete with luggage, to transport around the place.

If I wanted to replace it, the only vehicle that would suit me, for the money, would be another 1999 model Sport Rider. If you can get one for a good price then go for it and don't worry about consumption. Diesel is still cheap in Thailand compared with Europe. BTW my Sport Rider returned an average fuel consumption of 8.38 km/ltr last year over a distance of 16,000 km of mixed driving. For the benefit of fellow aged Brits, that is 33.74 mpg (4.54596 ltr = 1 UK gallon) over a distance of 10,000 statute miles.

Hope the above helps you make your decision. Rgds Bob

Hans,

not being from mainland Europe I got the metric fuel consumption arse-about-face! For "8.38 km/ltr" read "8.38 ltr/100 km" in my previous post. Sorry about that. That's why I convert it all to imperial measurements, they make more sense to me! Rgds Bob