Why should i invest in Thailand?

25 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Calm down your getting all worked up about millions of condos being confiscated 

You clearly have no idea about the knock on effect. 

Do your self a favor. Google 2008 sub prime crises.

Banks in Thailand would be destroyed as their mortgage loans become worthless due to the crash (worth next to nothing your words) and the stock market would be kaput and the country would go into a prolonged recession.. Seriously that never even occurred to you? 

Your sweet naive post of the elite picking up cheap condos hahaha your so far out of your depth you have no idea 

I need to debate with some one that understands the dynamics but you don't so wasting my time 

Will get back to you when the men in black arrive to steal my condo ??

Bye and thanks for renting we are relying on you! 

Fact is undeniable the government that holds your economic fate is currently threatening to shut down all unlicensed hotels in the country, 90%. They are cracking down and will eliminate the weekly/daily condo rentals on which the developers advertised those fabulous returns they baited buyers with. Elites thrive on recessions, it's where they make the big money and they control the bounce. Buying condos at auction on default from tax cheats is chump change they can initiate retroactively anytime they wish. With real estate it's really hard to do a runner. If your investment doesn't yield enough to provide for taxes owed it's nothing to be bragging about.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BestB said:

Not sure why you assumed i was worked up

Clearly you refusing to accept the reality.

So lets try another angle .

You are no doubt aware rental income from condo's is taxable in Thailand right? It is not enforced or monitored but it does exist.

So tell me what or who is there to stop authorities from enforcing it?

Elites have a team of lawyers and accountants who understand the system inside out and can transfer ownership to a poor cook or a driver should the need arise and what are you going to do?

But you right, i do not understand the dynamics as well as you, after all why would any government try to get tax which its owed

why didnt you say your new to thailand and only joined tv a week ago I would have gone easy on you

By the way why would you think that transferring a property into some one elses name would make it immune in to being  smashed in RE  crash, how would that work exactly?  need a shovel to dig your hole deeper?

2 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

why didnt you say your new to thailand and only joined tv a week ago I would have gone easy on you

By the way why would you think that transferring a property into some one elses name would make it immune in to being  smashed in RE  crash, how would that work exactly?  need a shovel to dig your hole deeper?

I am sorry i did not realize ones status was determined by how long ago one joined this forum. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Why would i think it would make it immune, where did i say  it would make anything immune?

Here is a thought, instead of being a smartass assuming what i know and being a self proclaimed expert, try  to read what is actually written not what you think it written to appear less of a clown

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BestB said:

I am sorry i did not realize ones status was determined by how long ago one joined this forum. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Why would i think it would make it immune, where did i say  it would make anything immune?

Here is a thought, instead of being a smartass assuming what i know and being a self proclaimed expert, try  to read what is actually written not what you think it written to appear less of a clown

Don't think it will happen. Still waiting for the self proclaimed expert to tell me exactly how he is getting rich off poor renters with his condo. Granted it is a difficult question nobody on here has had a good answer.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BestB said:

You not getting an answer because you have not joined this forum long enough, As it turns out being a long term member or high number of posts automatically makes one an expert.

Personally i still love the poor renters term. Because  for one to become a rich mogul all it takes is to move to Thailand buy $30 000 apartment and all over sudden not only  he is financial expert  but a mogul investor

So the elite are going to their portfolio to a cook.?

43 minutes ago, BestB said:

I just wanted to welcome you to Thailand. It's no surprise your confused if it took you this long to discover TV 

Transfer what? You've lost me. Are you seriously suggesting a 500 million baht portfolio will go to the cooks name? Are you out of your mind? Never occurred to me you actually would state something so stupid. 

You think think elites are protected? Who do you think will lose the most in totall economy crash bought on by the crash of the condo market?. Those with billion baht portfolios or those with no money 

It's not a trick question ?

7 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

I just wanted to welcome you to Thailand. It's no surprise your confused if it took you this long to discover TV 

Transfer what? You've lost me. Are you seriously suggesting a 500 million baht portfolio will go to the cooks name? Are you out of your mind? Never occurred to me you actually would state something so stupid. 

You think think elites are protected? Who do you think will lose the most in totall economy crash bought on by the crash of the condo market?. Those with billion baht portfolios or those with no money 

Are you seriously that naive to think elites keep all their money in their own name???

And are  you seriously aligning yourself with Thai elites and their connections? 

Surely you realize Thai elite is little out of your league and do not invest in 1-3-5 million condo’s ?

so who do I think will loose? Well .... you and alike.

the real moguls will buy the entire building for 1/100 of what it’s worth and hold on to it for better times 

thanks for welcoming me to Thailand , can you string 3 words in Thai yet?

Edited by BestB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Relax man, nobody wants your condo ok. Please just outline for us exactly how you yield this huge return from poor renters on this condo investment of yours'. Some numbers and if you use a property manager etc. Not often we get the wisdom from one so gifted at getting rich off poor renters in Thailand.

It's not a trick question

Edited by JAZZDOG
typo
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, BestB said:

Are you seriously that naive to think elites keep all their money in their own name???

And are  you seriously aligning yourself with Thai elites and their connections? 

Surely you realize Thai elite is little out of your league and do not invest in 1-3-5 million condo’s ?

thanks for welcoming me to Thailand , can you string 3 words in Thai yet?

Sure the elites put it all in the driver's and cooks name bahahaha ? you can't make this stuff up. 

You do realise with the banks and the markets and RE crash it won't matter a rats ass who's name its in 

I don't think your dad's gonna be happy when he finds out your logged in here. No other way to explain the breath taking nievity. 

The driver and the cook 

?????????? I gotta go before I pee myself 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Sure the elites put it all in the driver's and cooks name bahahaha ? you can't make this stuff up. 

You do realise with the banks and the markets and RE crash it won't matter a rats ass who's name its in 

I don't think your dad's gonna be happy when he finds out your logged in here. No other way to explain the breath taking nievity. 

The driver and the cook 

You funny , but I would not give up the day job yet.

so how many elites do you know?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

In the 2008 subprime  crisis everybody's hunt for real estate property ended up in bundling "non-performing customers" in "asset-backed securities" 

I happened to work for the real estate bank that financed this disaster by "ninja credits" and internal tricks to hide the coming bankrupty. Eventually two leading German banks merged to make the resulting superbank "too big to fail" - it cost the German taxpayer some 9 bn EUR to avoid the crash. And the crisis is still not over. There's a severe shortage in affordable housing in the West now, and this could cause serious uproar. 

Do you believe Thailand wants a situation like this?

11 minutes ago, micmichd said:

In the 2008 subprime  crisis everybody's hunt for real estate property ended up in bundling "non-performing customers" in "asset-backed securities" 

I happened to work for the real estate bank that financed this disaster by "ninja credits" and internal tricks to hide the coming bankrupty. Eventually two leading German banks merged to make the resulting superbank "too big to fail" - it cost the German taxpayer some 9 bn EUR to avoid the crash. And the crisis is still not over. There's a severe shortage in affordable housing in the West now, and this could cause serious uproar. 

Sure you're replying to the right post? 

You may want to try again ?and in any case this has all been a fun banter about Best B posts suggesting men in black coats will steal a million condos due to back taxes in rentals and the elite will get around it by putting it all in the driver's and cooks name who would hang around exactly 3 seconds after it was done 

Drivers and cooks bahaha best b you are a LEGEND 

4 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

You may want to try again ?and in any case this has all been a fun banter about Best B posts suggesting men in black coats will steal a million condos due to back taxes in rentals and the elite will get around it by putting it all in the driver's and cooks name who would hang around exactly 3 seconds after it was done 

Yes elites invest in 1miliion baht condo’s

so again, how many do you know?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, micmichd said:

The Subprime meltdown was a result of the Clinton Democrats thinking it would be nice to bring homeownership to 90% of American households. Unfortunately history told us only 60% of those households could actually pay the mortgage. Ironically for the Dems it was investors and speculators that brought the house down who were all to eager to drop off the keys when things began to go south. Once again the brothas got caught up in the White mans bull shit. The banks stopped being banks and the rest is history. Point is governments do ill-conceived shit all the time to tank their economies. They either repeat mistakes or make up new ones. Key is to see them coming and not be tied down to ground zero. It wasn't difficult seeing 2008 coming down the road.

16 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

The driver and the cook 

What would you say if you had to monitor the RE accounts of hundreds of thousand "non-performing customers" just find out all these debts ended up bundled in the account of one super non-performing customer "Mustermann" (the German synonym for anonymous)

Sounds like a bad joke, but exactly this happened in the 2008 RE subprime crisis. 

Yes, Mustermann could have been the name of a driver or a cook - a nobody, valued 9 bn EUR taxpayer's money. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BestB said:

Yes elites invest in 1miliion baht condo’s

so again, how many do you know?

I don't think he knows any and I believe he may have forgotten how he got rich renting his condo to poor renters or maybe he  doesn't want to come off his formula for getting rich in Thailand renting condos to the poor. 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, InMyShadow said:

Yes, the 2008 subprime crisis started with private investors who wanted security by property in real estate, and many lost everything. Maybe some drivers or cooks among them. Who knows when privacy laws fordib to tell details about customers?  

Btw, who is that "elite" you're talking about?

Edited by micmichd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, micmichd said:

Yes, the 2008 subprime crisis started with private investors who wanted security by property in real estate, and many lost everything. Maybe some drivers or cooks among them. Who knows when privacy laws fordib to tell details about customers?  

Not me 

It's a term being thrown about by best B to suggest that there are people unaffected by market forces. 

Apparently these elite will transfer everything directly to their drivers.. After that millions of condos will be repossessed by the government in lew of back taxes on rent and then the driver will give the "elite" their stuff back bahahaha 

You have me curious about muster Mann 

Please tell me You got a link right? 

Why do you complain about 49% ownership?

The import/export business appeals to many foreign entrepreneurs in Thailand because it is a line of business that is not restricted by the Foreign Business Act of 1999. This means that a foreigner can engage in an import/export business without a 51% Thai shareholder or without having to apply for permission from the Thai government.

5 hours ago, micmichd said:

Not 100% correct....sub-prime started because banks started to package investment products containing large amounts of high risk sub-prime debt and the implications of this weren't understood until the market had been flooded with the stuff. Investors wanted to buy mortgage-backed securities so there was lots of demand, not many realised however that there was an excess of low credit grade stuff mixed in with the higher quality stuff. Mortgage-backed secuirites were typically seen as safe investments and were mostly bought by pension and investment funds, private holding of them were quite low by comparison and that is why the banks were at risk because they were holding so much low grade debt.

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

that law was finally acted on due to the rise of air bnb. And to protect hotels 

Yearly landlords were never affected... We'll because they are long term. Get it now? 

You're posts are not very insightful are they?  please try and keep up!  we KNOW only below 30 days are effected and the law has always been there. I merely pointed out, as a property owner (do you have any?), that those of us who rent out above the 30 days are unaffected. Get it now?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

So much bickering the plot is lost-here are the facts-

-There are very few  foreign elites in Thailand-I would guess less than 20- by elite- I mean dollar/pound multi millionaires.

-There are  a number of long term Thai elites- who go back almost a hundred years whose family bought land when it was very cheap- held onto it- and are now billionaires.  Some of them have put the land in the names of 'others' and are secured by agreements made by lawyers.  They obviously hide assets to avoid taxes just as very wealthy people in the West use loopholes to their advantage.

-There are hardly any foreigners in Thailand who are getting rich via the Condo market, unless they were already rich before coming to Thailand.  Condo's are  so prevalent that it would take many millions of dollars worth of investment to make any real money.

-The Thai Government is going after unlicensed hotels/guest houses  simply  because these entities are taking business from the big players that have invested huge amounts of money in 3-4-5 star hotels. In addition, this is an opportunity for the Government to claim back tax. At some point- once the dust is settled -the Government will move on to its next 'project'.  Thailand and its officialdom loves illegal entities as it knows it can always squeeze these people for money when necessary.

-The 2008 meltdown in the World economy- was caused by greed- started by banks who used low grade debt to make a profit as well as leveraging money they didn't have backed by nothing  in an attempt to make more money.  Governments bailed out banks and Companies -screwed over the average citizen- and no government official, bank official, company official saw jail. Welcome to the real World.

-Investment in Thailand- only the big players make real money- because they already are rich- some of the little players make little money. Most  foreigners lose money.  My philosophy on Thailand is never  buy anything -you can't afford to lose.

Spot on except for the fact the 2008 meltdown was born almost a decade earlier with the repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act. Along with many missteps the Clinton Democrats decided it would be nice to make it easy for 90% of households to own homes. As they were certainly aware at the time historically only 60% had the ability to actually pay. Adjustable and interest only mortgages became rampant and Glass-Steagall repeal allowed banks to package toxic assets to be sold across the pond.

1 hour ago, Thaidream said:

So much bickering the plot is lost-here are the facts-

-There are very few  foreign elites in Thailand-I would guess less than 20- by elite- I mean dollar/pound multi millionaires.

-There are  a number of long term Thai elites- who go back almost a hundred years whose family bought land when it was very cheap- held onto it- and are now billionaires.  Some of them have put the land in the names of 'others' and are secured by agreements made by lawyers.  They obviously hide assets to avoid taxes just as very wealthy people in the West use loopholes to their advantage.

-There are hardly any foreigners in Thailand who are getting rich via the Condo market, unless they were already rich before coming to Thailand.  Condo's are  so prevalent that it would take many millions of dollars worth of investment to make any real money.

-The Thai Government is going after unlicensed hotels/guest houses  simply  because these entities are taking business from the big players that have invested huge amounts of money in 3-4-5 star hotels. In addition, this is an opportunity for the Government to claim back tax. At some point- once the dust is settled -the Government will move on to its next 'project'.  Thailand and its officialdom loves illegal entities as it knows it can always squeeze these people for money when necessary.

-The 2008 meltdown in the World economy- was caused by greed- started by banks who used low grade debt to make a profit as well as leveraging money they didn't have backed by nothing  in an attempt to make more money.  Governments bailed out banks and Companies -screwed over the average citizen- and no government official, bank official, company official saw jail. Welcome to the real World.

-Investment in Thailand- only the big players make real money- because they already are rich- some of the little players make little money. Most  foreigners lose money.  My philosophy on Thailand is never  buy anything -you can't afford to lose.

Very well said , only hotel crackdowns I do not agree.

You have to keep in mind the big hotels are a few and budget hotels are not in the competition with them. A massively large number of large size hotels are also operating without s hotel license , and can continue to do so but on monthly basis so technically nothing is illegal.

Governemt does not benefit from this raids at all, as all “fines “ are refundable after 2 months.  If anything government looses on taxes.

eliminating smaller hotels will not benefit big boys as guests who pay $20 per night, will

not be paying $200 per night.they will simply not come.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

Not 100% correct....sub-prime started because banks started to package investment products containing large amounts of high risk sub-prime debt and the implications of this weren't understood until the market had been flooded with the stuff. Investors wanted to buy mortgage-backed securities so there was lots of demand, not many realised however that there was an excess of low credit grade stuff mixed in with the higher quality stuff. Mortgage-backed secuirites were typically seen as safe investments and were mostly bought by pension and investment funds, private holding of them were quite low by comparison and that is why the banks were at risk because they were holding so much low grade debt.

Wrong, you are describing the consequences not what precipitated the meltdown.

Go back to school and get informed. The sub-prime debacle started in 99'.

8 hours ago, InMyShadow said:

Not me 

It's a term being thrown about by best B to suggest that there are people unaffected by market forces. 

Apparently these elite will transfer everything directly to their drivers.. After that millions of condos will be repossessed by the government in lew of back taxes on rent and then the driver will give the "elite" their stuff back bahahaha 

You have me curious about muster Mann 

Please tell me You got a link right? 

Sorry, no link to the "Mustermann" bank account. 

You would need privileged access to the bank intranet / Data Warehouse to retrieve information about customers, and since I'm retired I don't have access to these systems anymore.

Anyway, after more than 10 years this case is closed. So you can only take a look at the pattern behind to avoid it'll happen again.

Data-driven algorithms are fine only if you know how these data are shaped. Guess that's why you have laws. And the law in Thailand clearly states that no foreign investor should get control over Thai land. Investments on what is built on the land are a different issue.

10 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

I agree with your sentiment and I am sure those visitors on a budget are not going to pay $200 per night for a hotel  room. When I travel around Thailand- I will pay anywhere from  500 Baht to 1000 Baht in the provinces and up to 2,000 Baht in Bangkok, Hotels to me are a place to sleep- not eat or drink. Call me  old school- but that's me.

The difficulty in doing business in Thailand is the complexity in the laws and so many things that would be civil law in the West and carry only monetary consequences- in Thailand are both civil and criminal offenses.  In addition- many business is illegal but allowed to run unimpeded as long as certain gratuities are paid such as the restaurant and entertainment sectors.

he hotel and Guest House business is another sector that has been allowed to operate 'illegally' meaning proper licenses are hard to impossible to get and the authorities have ignored this for decades.  While the cover story regarding crackdown is 'complaints' from the big players meaning foreigners taking Thai jobs- to me the real reason is an attempt to get taxes and possibly other payments. I know a few foreigners that own guest houses- they are not wealthy and saved some money- married in Thailand- and started a small business.  They make enough to live on-provide work for some Thais- and make no waves. So far- they have not be touched- but are quite worried.  I hope they are not targeted and all goes back to normal.

IMHO- Thailand can be 'friendly' to small business when it wants to be but if the business is technically 'illegal'  there is always the chance someone, one day, will come knocking, I, personally in my 5 decades in and out of Thailand, will never get involved in this type of business as I cannot afford a complete loss and most people also cannot afford a loss.  Then there is the question of location; how competitive is your business to a nearby Thai business; jealousy of others and sometimes inadvertently pising off the wrong person. In Thailand a smile is not just a smile- it means something.

Would I invest in Thailand?  If I was under 50, with a great job in the West and chances of making great money and  having less than $100K in the bank.  No Way.

On the other hand if I was over 50, living in Thailand' had my residence and cars fully paid and an income from a stable source and had over  $100K that I could afford to lose- I would go for it. However, no business that is technically illegal; only something that I could have 100% ownership and control.  In 5 decades I have seen so many foreigners lose everything  and not very many become a success.  enough said- let the buyer beware.

Great advise !!

18 hours ago, Senseo said:

I guess that if i marry a Thai and we have kids, the kids get Thai citizenship. The 49% limit doesn't matter if all goes well. The problem is what happens if we divorce or my kids are unworthy of receiving anything i've worked for. I do not know why but the word Farang always sounded to me as an insult. Is it just me or?

I had to laugh at your choice of words.

?

Good morning. You thought it over? 

You should invest in Thailand simply because that's where you decided to live. 

Things might not run perfect, but - did anything ever run perfect? 

Stay away from the idea that you ever get perfect control over your environment. Just take what you find, and try to make the best out of it. 

You could invest in your kids' education, your Thai lady's ability to stand on her own feet, a shoe facory (run by Thais), or whatsoever. 

Remember this is Thailand, literally the land of the free, and Thais will certainly do what they want. Don't even try to impose Western values on them. Take a look at the West - things are not running perfectly in the West, are they? 

You have obviously already made your decision. So, trust yourself, and commit to your decision. 

Once you're over your cognitive dissonance, you can ask *where* to invest in Thailand - but that would be another question.

Edited by micmichd
  • Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 8:24 AM, manhood said:

As anykind of business you are doing in thailand is not under your control and many of the tax advisers or lawers and far from beeing trustfull!

So if you not want to looese money stay away from any kind of investment!!!!!!!

exactly, I lost an arm and a leg trusting my wife  with  investing money here, now  she run away with all the money and I cannot do anything despite having drawn - up a Prenuptial which is virtually useless for an foreigner as the  prenuptial must be  sanctioned / certified  by the foreign ministry, which we did not perform.

• Sad 1