Tourist visa for thai wife to visit Switzerland and Germany

bbabythai

My wife and I have to go to Germany for her medical studies. We might first go to Zurich and train it to Germany later. 

How hard will it be to get visas for her to visit these countries? Germany will be easier as we have proof of the course. But what about visiting Switzerland? 

I would like to buy airline tickets now but worry that Swiss consulate might reject the visa/ or make it hard to get. Is this correct or inaccurate? Should I hold off on buying the tickets?

If anyone has recently applied for visas to either countries please let me know how you got on. 

thanks

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Switzerland is part of Schengen, so no problem. She have to obtain schengen visa to access any EU country, so therefor all good. 

if we have docs from the german university would we therefore be advised to get the schengen visa from the german consulate. Will they backdate the visa to account for the holiday in zurich (prior to the course)?  

Or should we apply for the schengen visa via the swiss consulate as this is our first port of entry?

thanks

She is going for a education visa in Germany, it have to be the German consulate. It doesnt matter which first port she enter in Schengen, you just have to state that in the visa application. 

But both the German consulate, and the university should be the best to answer your questions about her visa. 

Edited by Hummin

54 minutes ago, Hummin said:

and the university

The university does have nearly nothing to do with the visa, they just supply some documents and that's it. So definitely ask at a German embassy or consulate. But in general it should be no problem to get a visa starting a month or two earlier, because everybody has to find a place to stay and organize their stuff in the new country before they really start to study

• Like 1