World’s 50 Best Restaurants places Bangkok's “Gaggan” at No.5

webfact

World’s 50 Best Restaurants places Bangkok's “Gaggan” at No.5

PNART610620001000101.jpg

BANGKOK, 20 June 2018 (NNT) - Progressive Indian restaurant “Gaggan”, on Bangkok’s Langsuan Road, has been ranked fifth on this year’s World's 50 Best Restaurant Awards, with Thai restaurant “Nahm” in Bangkok’s Metropolitan Hotel coming in at 49th. 

The World's 50 Best Restaurants this year gave first place to “Osteria Francescana” in Modena, Italy, managed by Chef Massimo Bottura. His use of local materials has become a favorite among enthusiasts looking to experience traditional Italian flavors. It is the second time the restaurant has received the award, the first being back in 2016. 

Second place went to “El Celler de Can Roca” in Girona, Spain, which is famous for its desserts, wines and beverages. This restaurant took the top spot twice in 2013 and 2015. 

Third place this year went to “Mirazur” in Menton, France.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2018-06-20

15 hours ago, canuckamuck said:

Congratulations.

Strange name though. Probably meant to be pronounced differently than it appears.

4 hours ago, Justfine said:

Not an appealing name and I'd take home cooked food anyday.

Its the Chefs name, why is it such a big problem? There are countless michelin star European chefs with restaurant name after themselves which most asians can't pronounce too!

I remain mystified as to why this restaurant continues to attract accolades.  Many of the dishes are poorly thought out (e.g. putting uni with a granita which totally kills the taste of the uni), poorly executed ("sushi" with fish full of chewy bits and inexpertly cut), and plain difficult to eat (things that collapse whilst you pick them from plate to mouth, or are two large to eat in one bite, and then collapse as one takes a bite).  Gaggan himself also ruins some of the surprises by, for example, telling you what's in the mysterious black sphere before you eat it.  A number of the dishes are unpalatable for Asians (e.g. watermelon with blue cheese, and my partner was only able to eat a couple of spoonfuls of the chawanmushi/crab curry/rice monstrosity before rushing to the toilet).

I could write about the poor hygiene, the run down infrastructure, the snooty sommelier, the arrogant and offensive Gaggan, or how queasy I felt after finishing the meal, but that's enough for now.

When it comes to Michelin star restaurants in Bangkok, I'd be very happy to go back to Upstairs Restaurant, L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon, Savelberg, Nahm, Sra Bua or Le Normandie.  Gaggan - never.

Edited by Oxx
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Oxx said:

I remain mystified as to why this restaurant continues to attract accolades.  Many of the dishes are poorly thought out (e.g. putting uni with a granita which totally kills the taste of the uni), poorly executed ("sushi" with fish full of chewy bits and inexpertly cut), and plain difficult to eat (things that collapse whilst you pick them from plate to mouth, or are two large to eat in one bite, and then collapse as one takes a bite).  Gaggan himself also ruins some of the surprises by, for example, telling you what's in the mysterious black sphere before you eat it.  A number of the dishes are unpalatable for Asians (e.g. watermelon with blue cheese, and my partner was only able to eat a couple of spoonfuls of the chawanmushi/crab curry/rice monstrosity before rushing to the toilet).

I could write about the poor hygiene, the run down infrastructure, the snooty sommelier, the arrogant and offensive Gaggan, or how queasy I felt after finishing the meal, but that's enough for now.

When it comes to Michelin star restaurants in Bangkok, I'd be very happy to go back to Upstairs Restaurant, L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon, Savelberg, Nahm, Sra Bua or Le Normandie.  Gaggan - never.

You do realise that in Thailand saying such derogatory things about a business could get you taken to court for damaging its reputation - even though every word you write might be true. And you would lose.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Why are you holding back. Tell it like it is.

16 hours ago, observer90210 said:

The food is no doubt up to the standards, but one just cannot accept the top level restaurants in Bangkok to play it jet set and start selling their food at similar prices as abroad.

Considering the labour costs and rents are much lower in Thailand then abroad,  I feel that I am being taken for a ride with the overcharged price tags in Bangkok Michelin standard, restaurants.

No matter what could be the argument, a restaurant owner on the french riviera say on the glitterati  Côte d'Azur or  Monaco, will not have the same taxes and expenses as the restaurant owner in Bangkok.

Especially when you take into account both wine service, and wine prices. I was recently with a group of friends, and we wanted to order a bottle of wine, at of one of those high end restaurants in the EmQuartier complex. It was Bella Rocca Restaurant. I asked about a 2011 Chianti they had on the list. I was told they were out of stock. I asked about a Barbaresco, at 2,600 baht. Again, out of stock. How about this Nebbiolo? Do you have the 2010, as stated on the list? No, we only have the 2015. OK, what is that wine like? Is it drinking well now? I do not know. Is there anyone here that is familiar with this wine list? No. Sorry sir. Wait a minute. You have 100 bottles on this list, ranging from 1200 baht to 10,000 baht per bottle, and NOBODY who works here knows anything about the wine? Are you serious? We all just looked at each other, and got up and walked out. We realized the restaurant was a pretender. And more than likely the food was marginal at best. It was all dressed up to look like a very nice Italian restaurant. But, it appeared to be only window dressing. High end tourists have little patience for that lack of quality and lack of service. 

But again, the lack of vision, combined with a naive, surly, silly, churlish, and ignorant sense of nationalism, bites the country in the butt. And again, who is the loser? The Thai people. 

The entire country is suffering from declining Western tourism. And that will not change. It is a permanent declining trend.

Second place went to “El Celler de Can Roca” in Girona, Spain, which is famous for its desserts, wines and beverages. This restaurant took the top spot twice in 2013 and 2015. 

One of my closest friends has done very well in commercial real estate development. He ate at Can Roca recently. It took him four months of so, to get a booking for a set lunch. He said the food was very good, but he was blown away by the wine pairings. He said even though many of the selections were not great wines, the pairings were so perfect, it kind of blew his mind. And he is a big wine guy. 

Here is some info I found on the pricing:

The 2016 "Menú Degustació de Clàssics" at el Celler was €180. For those having the different glasses of wine to match the food you'd have to add €55. This option consists of 17 small appetizers and 7 main dishes.

The 2016 "Menú Degustació Festival" was €195, plus €90 for the wines. This one includes 17 appetizers and 14 main dishes.

I'm not sure if they have changed any of this for 2017, but you get the idea.

5 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Especially when you take into account both wine service, and wine prices. I was recently with a group of friends, and we wanted to order a bottle of wine, at of one of those high end restaurants in the EmQuartier complex. It was Bella Rocca Restaurant. I asked about a 2011 Chianti they had on the list. I was told they were out of stock. I asked about a Barbaresco, at 2,600 baht. Again, out of stock. How about this Nebbiolo? Do you have the 2010, as stated on the list? No, we only have the 2015. OK, what is that wine like? Is it drinking well now? I do not know. Is there anyone here that is familiar with this wine list? No. Sorry sir. Wait a minute. You have 100 bottles on this list, ranging from 1200 baht to 10,000 baht per bottle, and NOBODY who works here knows anything about the wine? Are you serious? We all just looked at each other, and got up and walked out. We realized the restaurant was a pretender. And more than likely the food was marginal at best. It was all dressed up to look like a very nice Italian restaurant. But, it appeared to be only window dressing. High end tourists have little patience for that lack of quality and lack of service. 

But again, the lack of vision, combined with a naive, surly, silly, churlish, and ignorant sense of nationalism, bites the country in the butt. And again, who is the loser? The Thai people. 

The entire country is suffering from declining Western tourism. And that will not change. It is a permanent declining trend.

It isn't unusual to find First World prices with Third World service standards in Thailand.

16 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I'm more surprised you bothered to ask those questions. The waiter was probably working at 7/11 a week ago. 

It will never effect tourist as you say. Why? Because it's ALWAYS been this way. TIT 

Edited by InMyShadow
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Nice post. There are so many wannabe and pretender restaurants in  Bangkok, mostly at the high end. There is a kind of rent-a-crowd of fickle, no-nothing-about-food hi-so in this city. Fortunately, there is also a glut of affordable, tasty Thai food. And Forget about good, affordable wine. Wine is  over-priced because of taxes, then it is poorly stored and served and handled by folks that wouldn't know a chardonnay from a glass of vinegar.

4 minutes ago, MrJohnson said:

Nice post. There are so many wannabe and pretender restaurants in  Bangkok, mostly at the high end. There is a kind of rent-a-crowd of fickle, no-nothing-about-food hi-so in this city. Fortunately, there is also a glut of affordable, tasty Thai food. And Forget about good, affordable wine. Wine is  over-priced because of taxes, then it is poorly stored and served and handled by folks that wouldn't know a chardonnay from a glass of vinegar.

Same in any city. The best food is fresh and simple. Get some fine wagyu and oysters you don't have to do much to it. Pair it with a Coonawarra red. Only a bad chef can stuff it up.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Same in any city. The best food is fresh and simple. Get some fine wagyu and oysters you don't have to do much to it. Pair it with a Coonawarra red. Only a bad chef can stuff it up.

I completely disagree. You may like fresh and simple food. And there is nothing wrong with that. But, it simply represents one style of food preparation. 

There are countless cities that take their food and their customers very seriously, have the talent both in the kitchen, and in the staff, to back it up, and bring alot to the table. Not the same in any city. That is utter nonsense. You just cannot compare Bangkok, to the great cities of the world, or even to a city like Seattle, Kansas City, Dallas, Miami, Auckland or even a city like Ontario, when it comes to wine service. Those cities have staff that are infinitely more knowledgable than in Bangkok, when it comes to wine service. Unless you are eating at the Four Seasons, The Peninsula, The Shanrgi La, The Banyan Tree, and a few other top hotels in Bangkok, and perhaps a handful of restaurants, more than likely you will not find a really good sommelier who knows the wine well, and has the wine list to back up a claim to good wine service. And even if you do find that, I good Chatuauneuf du Pape, like a 2001 or a 2005 Domaine du Clos du Caillou Reserve, would set you back 75,000 baht. In the states I can find that wine for $350, or $600 in a good restaurant. 

In other cities, the sommeliers are constantly mixing with others in their profession, tasting great wines daily, attending great tastings, and are afforded a level of access someone in Bangkok simply would not have, due to the stunningly high duties here, and the backward, ignorant, despotic, churlish, nonsensical, fearful, antiquated, protectionist, non-visionary wine policy this inept government has here. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

I completely disagree. You may like fresh and simple food. And there is nothing wrong with that. But, it simply represents one style of food preparation. 

There are countless cities that take their food and their customers very seriously, have the talent both in the kitchen, and in the staff, to back it up, and bring alot to the table. Not the same in any city. That is utter nonsense. You just cannot compare Bangkok, to the great cities of the world, or even to a city like Seattle, Kansas City, Dallas, Miami, Auckland or even a city like Ontario, when it comes to wine service. Those cities have staff that are infinitely more knowledgable than in Bangkok, when it comes to wine service. Unless you are eating at the Four Seasons, The Peninsula, The Shanrgi La, The Banyan Tree, and a few other top hotels in Bangkok, and perhaps a handful of restaurants, more than likely you will not find a really good sommelier who knows the wine well, and has the wine list to back up a claim to good wine service. And even if you do find that, I good Chatuauneuf du Pape, like a 2001 or a 2005 Domaine du Clos du Caillou Reserve, would set you back 75,000 baht. In the states I can find that wine for $350, or $600 in a good restaurant. 

In other cities, the sommeliers are constantly mixing with others in their profession, tasting great wines daily, attending great tastings, and are afforded a level of access someone in Bangkok simply would not have, due to the stunningly high duties here, and the backward, ignorant, despotic, churlish, nonsensical, fearful, antiquated, protectionist, non-visionary wine policy this inept government has here. 

I see you like paying for pretentious food.

Doubt you know what good wine is either.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Justfine said:

I see you like paying for pretentious food.

Doubt you know what good wine is either.

Some of the statements you make reveal the staggering degree of ignorance you struggle with, daily. How on earth do you know about the depth of my wine knowledge, what my personal collection looks like, or what experiences I have had with wine? You would be the last person on the planet I would defend my wine credentials to. I did not say I ate at La Roca. I was simply presenting some information about the restaurant. The fact that eating great food, at some of the world's top restaurants offends you, says all we need to know about you. Get over your envy of others. Not a good quality. It tends to poison the soul and blacken the heart. 

In the future, I suggest you carefully weigh your statements, when pronouncing judgment on complete strangers, of whom you know absolutely nothing. 

just cannot compare Bangkok, to the great cities of the world"

It's Thailand in Asia. Little to no wine culture. Wine culture comes from people with European backgrounds.

I hear the sumo culture is poor in Seattle.

Just now, spidermike007 said:

Some of the statements you make reveal the staggering degree of ignorance you struggle with, daily. How on earth do you know about the depth of my wine knowledge, what my personal collection looks like, or what experiences I have had with wine? You would be the last person on the planet I would defend my wine credentials to. I did not say I ate at La Roca. I was simply presenting some information about the restaurant. The fact that eating great food, at some of the world's top restaurants offends you, says all we need to know about you. Get over your envy of others. Not a good quality. It tends to poison the soul and blacken the heart. 

In the future, I suggest you carefully weigh your statements, when pronouncing judgment on complete strangers, of whom you know absolutely nothing. 

Dude, I do hope you day improves. Ranting about wine in Thailand which has little to no wine culture.

I've had more good reds than you've had hot dinners.

Carry on.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Justfine said:

Chat Du Pape can be bought for 30 bucks.

Again, shows how little you know about good wine, or the Southern Rhone region in general. Like saying I found a chardonnay for five bucks. Why should I spent $40 on one? They are all the same. How does one even respond to this kind of blather?

A great CDP is one of the most transcendental wine experiences one can have.  And your statement about having more good reds than I have had hot meals, is what some of us would refer to as a false narrative, wishful thinking, and self imposed delusion. Your statement about CDP confirms that. All that needs to be said. I rest my case, your honor. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, spidermike007 said:

Again, shows how little you know about good wine, or the Southern Rhone region in general. Like saying I found a chardonnay for five bucks. Why should I spent $40 on one? They are all the same. How does one even respond to this kind of blather?

A great CDP is one of the most transcendental wine experiences one can have. 

Give it up. Only embarrassing yourself.

2 minutes ago, Justfine said:

"How on earth do you know about the depth of my wine knowledge"

You talked up an average French wine.

Here we go again. The person who professes to have this deep understanding of red wines, calls Chateauneuf average french wine. I do not need to explain this. I will call upon some of the greatest experts on wine, on the planet. Maybe you know more that they do? Or perhaps you unwillingness to spend real money on great wine has prevented you from ever tasting a great CDP?

You probably consider wine writers to be snooty. But here is what Parker says in general, about CDP-

The best Châteauneuf-du-Papes are among the most natural expressions of grapes, place and vintage. Châteauneuf-du-Pape vineyards are farmed organically or biodynamically, and the region's abundant sunshine and frequent wind (called le mistral) practically preclude the need for treating the fields with herbicides or pesticides. The wines themselves are equally pure, their flavors rarely masked by aging in new oak. But the greatest appeal of Châteauneuf-du-Pape, beyond its food-friendly qualities, expansiveness, generosity of flavors and sumptuous texture, is the almost addictive attraction of its combined intellectual and hedonistic elements. That's what attracts me the most and undoubtedly accounts for Châteauneuf-du-Pape's rapidly growing popularity.

https://www.foodandwine.com/articles/a-crush-on-chateauneuf-du-pape

And Livingstone Learmonths description of a 2001 Rayas- 

mild red, not full to the top of rim. Red berry jam aroma, very clear and clean, with a lightly nutty twist - quite direct at this early stage, with a lurkng southern ripeness, inset and withdrawn as yet. Cautious attack, supple, rich red fruit with quiet tannic presence. Light, almost Burgundian alongside the usual Châteauneufs. Elegant, rounded texture, feathery richness, very fine and rounded all the way through, notably on the finish. More to it by 2009, there is some jasmin/rose later on. More grassy, pebbly after 3 hours. I still cannot find the old stuffing that used to be present, even discreetly. 2021-24 Feb 2005

Your honor, I deeply apologize for the opposing counsels lack of study on the issues here. This is all I have to say on the matter. Nothing is really being contributed in opposition, so I rest my case your honor.