Help Please Guys

Hello guys, I hope you are all well.

I am new to the forum and would really appreciate some help in answering a few questions I have regarding retirement.

I know there are already a few topics on here its just I would like to be 100% clear before I take the plunge so to speak,

I have been quoted 25,000 Baht by a company in Pattaya (is this about right ?) to complete the process but would like to see if its feasible to do it myself or do you chaps think it is better to cough up the money ?

I am 58 years of age,

So, questions below and many thanks in advance to anyone who can spare a few minutes to help,

1. Can I change normal 30 day tourist visa to a 90 day Non Immigrant visa with a view to convert this to a 1 year Non Immigrant once I arrive and can this be done in Pattaya ?

2. I have already opened a bank account with Bangkok bank. I have a monthly income of £1300 from property rental in UK and a small pension from my wife who passed away last year. I also have savings of around £75,000. I intend to deposit the required amount to make up the total of 800,000 baht shortly to begin the "seasoning" process. What will the authorities require by way of proof of income ? I have payslips from my wife's company each month and a signed rental agreement with my tenants, are original's of those sufficient ? Or copies of bank statement here in UK showing monies going into account each month ?

3. How long does the whole process take ? I intend to come to Pattaya/Jomtien end of July early August  but I need to leave again early November for a couple of weeks to attend my daughters wedding. I understand the need to acquire re-entry permits before I leave. 

4. Is it feasible to rent a property long term as soon as I arrive ? Is it likely that my application will succeed providing all criteria is met ?

5. If I did this myself approx how much would the whole process cost ?

Any other info such as what other documentation might be helpful is greatly appreciated guys.

Once again, many thanks,

Kevinnyali

• Like 2

I took the visa route you mentioned (not with agent though as I had the money in a Thai bank account already) BUT if I was based in the UK (?) I would consider just getting the OA from London.

• Like 1

You can't get the Non immigrant visa in Pattaya, you will have to get that bit done outside of Thailand, either in your home country before you leave or by going to Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia etc after you arrive, but the rest can be done back in Pattaya and is all pretty straight forward.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1. Yes and yes.

2. Rental income will not be accepted. Your tenants are presumably free to leave at any time, with minimal notice to you.

You will need a letter confirming the amount of the pension from whatever entity provides it, and you will need that  letter authenticated by the British govt.  Not being British, I won't guess what part of your govt. that is.  

3.  Three to four months. You can get a Re-entry permit for travel during the latter part of the period. You are not a "prisoner" in Thailand during the processing.

4.Yes and yes.  You seem to have  a good understanding of the process. I didn't convert those figures from pounds to baht.  Make sure they add up, with a bit to spare.

5. You can certainly do it yourself.  Maybe B 4000, + whatever you have to pay to get the pension letter, and have it authenticated. A single Re-entry permit is B 1000.

Edited by allane
x

5 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

You can't get the Non immigrant visa in Pattaya, you will have to get that bit done outside of Thailand, 

Is that correct (?) - I got one in Bangkok after entering on a 60 day tourist visa. 

Edited by MRToMRT
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I won't go into details because others are better placed to do that.  What I will say is that I was where you are a few months ago.  I decided that I was an intelligent  enough person and that the process can't be all that difficult, at least not to incur an agents charge of 20,000 +.  So  I read all the advice, especially from Ubon Joe, who is amazing,  and I went ahead and did it all myself. Total cost, Extension of Stay, plus multi re entry stamp, was 5,800 Bhat. All done in less than 15 minutes at Jomtien Immigration. My  strong advice  is to plan it  in detail, taking the advice on this forum, , make sure your documentation is right and do it yourself.   

Thank you sir.

20 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

I took the visa route you mentioned (not with agent though as I had the money in a Thai bank account already) BUT if I was based in the UK (?) I would consider just getting the OA from London.

Thank you sir !

16 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

You can't get the Non immigrant visa in Pattaya, you will have to get that bit done outside of Thailand, either in your home country before you leave or by going to Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia etc after you arrive, but the rest can be done back in Pattaya and is all pretty straight forward.

Thank you sir

16 minutes ago, allane said:

1. Yes and yes.

2. Rental income will not be accepted. Your tenants are presumably free to leave at any time, with minimal notice to you.

You will need a letter confirming the amount of the pension from whatever entity provides it, and you will need that  letter authenticated by the British govt.  Not being British, I won't guess what part of your govt. that is.  

3.  Three to four months. You can get a Re-entry permit for travel during the latter part of the period. You are not a "prisoner" in Thailand during the processing.

4.Yes and yes.  You seem to have  a good understanding of the process. I didn't convert those figures from pounds to baht.  Make sure they add up, with a bit to spare.

5. You can certainly do it yourself.  Maybe B 4000, + whatever you have to pay to get the pension letter, and have it authenticated. A single Re-entry permit is B 1000.

Thank you sir

8 minutes ago, allane said:

If that 's the case then this must be some new requirement.  I got my retirement extension for four or five years on the basis of income from UK property and there was never a problem.  That said, if the OP can deposit the 800k without any hardship then that's the easiest route as getting an income letter from the UK Embassy is tiresome and stupidly expensive.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Happy enough said:

i'm not retired so can't help. i will advise to listen to UJ on this though as you may get some other incorrect info. meant in good faith but possibly wrong. UJ's advise will be sound

Thank you sir

6 minutes ago, Greenside said:

If that 's the case then this must be some new requirement.  I got my retirement extension for four or five years on the basis of income from UK property and there was never a problem.  That said, if the OP can deposit the 800k without any hardship then that's the easiest route as getting an income letter from the UK Embassy is tiresome and stupidly expensive.  

Thank you sir

29 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

Well what the hell?  Why are they always sending people off to embassies outside of Thailand if it can all be done at immigration?

Ignorance of the truth by all involved.

1 hour ago, Kevinnyali said:

1. Can I change normal 30 day tourist visa to a 90 day Non Immigrant visa with a view to convert this to a 1 year Non Immigrant once I arrive and can this be done in Pattaya ?

What form is required at immigration in order to do this?  And what does this by itself cost?

Edited by bluebluewater

51 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

1. Yes you can. But you will need at least 15 days remaining on your 30 day visa exempt entry (is not a visa) or the the 30 day extension of it. It would be best to get a single entry tourist visa that will allow a 60 day entry to give you more time.

2. At todays exchange rate you will only need about 130k baht (140k would be better) in the bank to reach the combined total with your annual income to reach 800k baht.

You will need to get a income letter from the UK embassy to prove your income. You apply for it by mail or email to the embassy. Info is here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration To apply for the non immigrant visa you will need the signature on the income letter certified by the Consular Affairs Department in Bangkok.

3. The total time needed is less than 3 months if you have the money in the bank for 60 days. You should be able to have the extension done before November. You can get a single re-entry permit for 1000 baht or a multiple for 3800 after you have the extension done.

4. Yes and yes.

5. The fee for the visa is 2000 baht and the extension is 1900 baht. Plus the fee for the income letter and about 200 baht for the signature verification.

Hello sir, I would like to thank you for your excellent advice. I appreciate, along with all the other input. A couple of extra questions if I may ? 

1. Am I right in thinking if I require a 60 day tourist visa I will have to apply for that in the UK via the Thai Embassy ??

2. I see the link for the proving of pension. Would you know what evidence I would need of the rental income ?

3. This can all be done at Pattaya immigration apart from the signature by Consular Affairs in Bangkok ?

Thank you 

2 minutes ago, Kevinnyali said:

1. Am I right in thinking if I require a 60 day tourist visa I will have to apply for that in the UK via the Thai Embassy ??

2. I see the link for the proving of pension. Would you know what evidence I would need of the rental income ?

3. This can all be done at Pattaya immigration apart from the signature by Consular Affairs in Bangkok ?

1. You would apply for it at the Thai embassy in London in person or by post. Or in person at one of the honorary consulates in the UK.

2. A bank statement showing the money coming into for 3 months should be enough and/or the rental contract.

3.  Yes

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

1. You would apply for it at the Thai embassy in London in person or by post. Or in person at one of the honorary consulates in the UK.

2. A bank statement showing the money coming into for 3 months should be enough and/or the rental contract.

3.  Yes

Thanks Joe. Top man !

• Like 1