Register with Embassy?

OzMan

I will be moving to bkk shortly and would like to know if there are any benefits to registering with my embassy? By benefits I mean any social activities like 4th July or Christmas parties. I hold British, Canadian and Australian passports and have a Green Card for the US.These would be the 4 embassies I would register with.

Thanks

There aren't any social benefits for registering with the Australian Embassy. For that, I would recommend registering your email address for regular updates on events organized by the Australia-Thailand Chamber of Commerce, they have social events every month (at a subsidised cost).

https://www.austchamthailand.com/subscribe

Thanks mark5335. I have now registered with the Australian and Canadian chambers of commerce. Anybody belong to the UK or US chambers of commerce as there is a joining fee for both. The question is I will be retired when I move to bkk and is it worth paying a joining fee to meet people there. Or spend my money elsewhere.

they do a July 4 party, I would avoid...probably can't smoke outside....And don't think for a second beer or drinks  will be flowing.  I am not going to make specifics, but some of the various service organizations have been hotbeds for the creepiest of fraudsters, likely because they attract gullible suckers and people that want to be seen.

You don't need to be a member to go to the events, you would just need to pay a bit extra. You can see all of their planned events online so just pick and choose which ones you want to go to. If you start going to many and the money saved by being a member is greater than the difference in cost of going as a non member then join.

If its for meeting people and social gatherings you are probably better off joining somewhere like the British Club which has a good social scene and regular events as well as all the facilities they provide.

46 minutes ago, OzMan said:

Thanks moontang.

One president of a well known expat group used his position to find victims of a pyramid scheme.  He did a runner, and I would estimate fifty members lost 50,000 US each.  I seriously doubt t he was licensed with SEC  Thailand.  They tend to be pretentious with a little snob appeal...it gives the victims a feeling of importance..kind of like Bernie Madoff did.  Another guy , this one from US had his name on the list of recommended lawyers from the Embassy...n ever a law degree of member of any bar.  Had his photo with the Ambassador.  Also a president of one of the well known service clubs.  He did a runner to avoid a sentence for extortion.

Archived