No telescope needed to see Saturn on June 27

webfact

36 minutes ago, Zenwind said:

I always like to see news articles that encourage folks to get out and see the Moon, stars and planets, but this article is misleading as written.  While you will be able to see Saturn with the naked eye, you cannot see Saturn’s rings with the naked eye.  You need at least a small telescope for that. 

Saturn is far away and always appears quite small from Earth, even now that it is relatively closer than usual.  Binoculars will not resolve the rings.  It has been decades since I used an old 2-and-a-half inch reflector telescope in North America, so I don’t remember the exact minimum magnification I used to see Saturn’s rings, but I am guessing that it was at least a 50-times magnification or more. 

I recommend getting a good Star Chart, and subscribe to the free weekly email news from Sky & Telescope magazine with my favorite section, "This Week's Sky at a Glance".  And take advantage of any clear skies here in this frustratingly hazy and overcast place. 

Yep, if one has a clear vantage point the chart below gives the relative positions of Saturn in the SE, Jupiter in the south and Moon roughly SW at around 9:45pm. Pity the OP didn't mention it eh?

27-06-2018945pm.png

Edited by TKDfella
  • Thanks 1

A friend of mine had an app on his smart phone which showed the layout of the stars & planets.  He just pointed it to an area of the sky and the appropriate "star map" would appear.

I never bothered, since I rarely seem to be anyplace with out light (or other) pollution that lets me see more than one or two stars anyway.

1 hour ago, TKDfella said:

Yep, if one has a clear vantage point the chart below gives the relative positions of Saturn in the SE, Jupiter in the south and Moon roughly SW at around 9:45pm. Pity the OP didn't mention it eh?

27-06-2018945pm.png

Sorry fellas, posted the wrong day. The above is tonight and below is the 27th. I do apologise.

27-06-2018945pm.png

2 hours ago, wpcoe said:

A friend of mine had an app on his smart phone which showed the layout of the stars & planets.  He just pointed it to an area of the sky and the appropriate "star map" would appear.

I never bothered, since I rarely seem to be anyplace with out light (or other) pollution that lets me see more than one or two stars anyway.

We rear a few cattle and most nights I go and check on them, I am always looking at the stars, but I am in a rural area and we have bad light pollution, cannot remember the last time I  could see at the big dipper, sits low in the sky.

TDKfella, thanks for the chart as it is in the SE I should be able to see it , no pollution they ,