Weather stripping reconditioned glass windows

nevets81

It may seem strange to say glass windows, but in Thailand there are mostly shutter-type teak windows on old houses with no glass. However, I have some beautiful teak glass-pane windows, which I will reclaim an use on my new house. I would like to add foam weather stripping and possibly new double glaze window panes. Does anyone have experience doing either or both? 

Windows - North Side Dining Windows and Bathrooms PHOTO.jpg

Foam weatherstripping applied as a sticker is not a long lasting solution. The foam will form a memory and no longer seal as well over time. The sticker can loosen and fall off. If you want that type of cheap solution it's fine. But if you want a tight, long lasting seal then get rubber seals that fit into a saw kerf. These are generally not available in hardware stores and must be special ordered from the likes of hafele, online from alibaba, etc.

Make sure the frames and hardware can support the extra weight if going double glazing.

I presume you are trying to eliminate noise. Don't forget to seal the doors. Walls and roof also need sound proofing. The result will only be as good as the weakest link.

Canopy's advise on foam is spot on, it is also correct (though you will use a different profile) if you want to seal around the windows.

on the subject of adding IGU's into the windows: your pictures don't show enough details to give a definitive answer but you probably can't.

Window glass is usually between 3mm and 6mm. The minimum for an IGU is 12mm (my IGU's are 21mm). Your windows are probably not capable of taking the thinnest IGU.

your only real option would be secondary glazing. This is either addiing a second frame to the inside of the window to hold the glass or a second complete window.

if you add weight to the windows you should probably change the hinges and check the joints as they may well need to be reglued.

Edited by sometimewoodworker