Prescription EYEGLASSES LENSES , from 2000 thb to 5000 thb ? Is it standard price ?

grkt

hello,

To change the lenses of my eyeglasses it seems that it cost from 2000 to 5000 depending on the quality and specs of lenses.

Can you tell me if you have found cheaper or if prices are similar everywhere ? This is so expensive for Thailand.

And are the ones from Zenni optical online shop as good ? For a lot cheaper ?

Thank you for your feedback.

I have bought lenses many times over the last 20 years from a well known chain. The spec has always been the same, glass, varifocal & photochromatic with price usually around 4000 baht, not much variation over the years. I usually went to the same shop in Mikes Mall in Pattaya, found the staff very efficient ,spoke good English and usually dealt with problems there and then, if not within days.

Last time I needed a new pair, couple of years ago, my wife took me to a small shop they knew on the outskirts of Bangkok. There I got the same spec of lenses for about 1500 baht, and have had no complaints. No English spoken so trying to use the same outlets as the Thais could be problematic.

Last pair I bought in the UK, over 20 years now, was from Specsavers and cost over £200. When I tried them on things were a bit fuzzy but doctor said it was normal for varifocal and eyes would adjust. Never did and they gave me a headache, bit of an argument with Specsavers but eventually got my money back, they tried to force another prescription.

No harm in shopping around for information, but at the end of the day it is up to each individual to decide what they consider worth paying for their lenses.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Zenni is good and almost always a lot cheaper than local chains.

Agree fully with that. I have been using Zenni for about a year now with no complaints. One of the things I especially like is the ability to take almost any frame and add a tint to the lenses, making yourself a pair of prescription sunglasses to your own specifications regarding the size of the frame.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I get them online for $20. Excellent lenses. Do not believe the hype. Lenses are cheap.

I have high index varifocal lenses that opticians in Thailand ask Baht 12,000 for. The cheapest quote I've had has been Baht 8,000.

So I get my new lenses when I visit Viet Nam where they cost $30.

Edited by LongTimeLurker
  • Like 1

Sorry but I disagree with you closing this other topic which is about lenses in general and posted in General forum, not pattaya, please open it has no reason to be closed by anyone.

hello,

I already have glasses and just want to change the lenses. It seems that it cost at least 2000 (and maybe 3000) even at Owndays which is supposed to be a cheap optical shop. Some other shops want 5000 !!!

Can you tell me where you have bought cheap glasses or replacement lenses around Pattaya, and how much you paid ?

Thanks a lot.

2 hours ago, sandyf said:

I have bought lenses many times over the last 20 years from a well known chain. The spec has always been the same, glass, varifocal & photochromatic with price usually around 4000 baht, not much variation over the years. I usually went to the same shop in Mikes Mall in Pattaya, found the staff very efficient ,spoke good English and usually dealt with problems there and then, if not within days.

Last time I needed a new pair, couple of years ago, my wife took me to a small shop they knew on the outskirts of Bangkok. There I got the same spec of lenses for about 1500 baht, and have had no complaints. No English spoken so trying to use the same outlets as the Thais could be problematic.

Last pair I bought in the UK, over 20 years now, was from Specsavers and cost over £200. When I tried them on things were a bit fuzzy but doctor said it was normal for varifocal and eyes would adjust. Never did and they gave me a headache, bit of an argument with Specsavers but eventually got my money back, they tried to force another prescription.

No harm in shopping around for information, but at the end of the day it is up to each individual to decide what they consider worth paying for their lenses.

You have been cheated 20 years...

28 minutes ago, grkt said:

Sorry but I disagree with you closing this other topic which is about lenses in general and posted in General forum, not pattaya, please open it has no reason to be closed by anyone.

You have to send a PM to the moderator that closed it. Moderators will not read all threads, so make your argument and maybe they'll agree.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, grkt said:

You have been cheated 20 years...

Since when was good reliable service seen as being cheated, you get what you pay for.

The term "Cheap and nasty" did not come out of thin air.

Hope it works out for you, despite the arrogance.

Can you tell me where you have bought cheap glasses or replacement lenses around Pattaya, and how much you paid ?

I agree that it makes more sense to have this Pattaya-related topic in the Pattaya forum.

Either way, the place you should try is First Optic as I mentioned.

https://goo.gl/maps/6jqPFTKda5n

• Like 1