Stateless Muslim migrants caught in Thai registration trap

webfact

Stateless Muslim migrants caught in Thai registration trap

By WASAMON AUDJARINT 
THE NATION 

cebf36317e130eb4bec302a1462f9f8d.jpeg

BHRN Executive Director Kyaw Win presents the Existence Denied report during a press conference at the Foreign Correspondents' Club of Thailand yesterday

Muslim minorities from Myanmar who move to Thailand for work are facing severe problems because they must identify their nationality to register as migrants, says a report launched by the NGO-based Burma Human Rights Network (BHRN).

With the annual registration deadline looming at the end of this month, the stateless condition of the migrants is threatening their futures in Thailand.  

Among the most vulnerable are the Rohingya, who have been denied citizenship since 1982. Accounting for around 30 per cent of all Myanmar Muslims, they are among largest Muslim communities in the country and yet have faced the most severe persecution and discrimination from state authorities.

Launched yesterday, the report “Existence Denied” reveals  Myanmar Muslims’ difficulty in obtaining the Certificate of Identity that is required by Thai migrant labour law. Crossing the border without it can result in heavy fines, deportation and a two-year ban on re-applying for a work permit.

“[We consider] the Thai government to be helpful toward Myanmar minorities. Yet, although we have a system in Thailand, the root cause is in Myanmar,” said BHRN executive director Kyaw Win. “The human rights issue [citizenship] is a key problem in Southeast Asia from the viewpoint of migrant workers.

Kyaw Win urged the international community not to support a government that “creates discrimination and a situation that threatens minorities”. 

“The military’s propaganda and ultranationalism is very strong in Myanmar. Violating [the law] has become a solution for discriminatory authorities, extremists and hardliners,” he added.

BHRN also demands fundamental structural changes in Myanmar while urging Thai authorities to partner with rights groups in creating a system of documentation that would allow migrant workers to “live and work with dignity” in Thailand.

Focusing on 36 people in Tak’s Mae Sot district and four Myanmar Muslim communities, the report found that nearly 80 per cent of interviewed Muslims had never been issued citizenship documents in their home country. Many were from the second generation of their families to suffer statelessness.

Meanwhile Kureeyor Manuchaw, project coordinator for the Migrant Working Group, urged the Thai government to adopt a specific policy for workers who cannot return to their countries for reasons of safety.

Some 700,000 Rohingya have fled a military crackdown in their home state of Rakhine since August last year, in what the UN and others have branded ethnic cleansing.

“Forcing [the Muslims] to return to Myanmar may not be a good option because of safety concerns,” Kureeyor said. 

Myanmar “rejecting [their] nationality is a challenge as identification is required by the Thai government”. 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/asean-plus/30348692

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-06-27

• Like 1

...shouldn't they 'own up'....???

...open the borders to these non-Thais....and others....

...expect only to reap the benefits.....

....while providing little or no rights....

....for decades....

...why....even we can relate....(???)

....I see the parallels......and I have often uttered....'living like a refugee'....

...especially after having been 'cleaned out'...and discarded...

• Confused 1

53 minutes ago, Fish Head Soup said:

Send them to Germany, the EU's migrant clearing house.

Wow!

How long did you have to "think", before you came up with this clever comment!

I don't believe in hell and karma and all that...though, I wish I did!

Then I could hope, that you and your ilk, come back in the next life as an oppressed, refugee, minority, stateless, homeless, devoid of nearly all human rights and ridiculed by a-holes on a web- forum, who have no empathy for anyone, except themselves!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, taipan1949 said:

I think that Thailand has all the muslim problems it can handle. Kick them all out.

Where to ??

No one else wants them either, we have all had enough of all the muslim problems, you don't know who you can trust and who you cant as they use women and children to attack other non muslims

15 hours ago, webfact said:

BHRN also demands fundamental structural changes in Myanmar while urging Thai authorities to partner with rights groups in creating a system of documentation that would allow migrant workers to “live and work with dignity” in Thailand.

Really do not see this government caring at all.  They are going along with Burma's treatment of the Rohingya .  Can only hope things change.

4 hours ago, GTgrizzly said:

Where to ??

No one else wants them either, we have all had enough of all the muslim problems, you don't know who you can trust and who you cant as they use women and children to attack other non muslims

How about back to their country of origin - Bangladesh??   Nope, they are not wanted there either, I hear Austrialia has an Island reserved for Muslim migrants, why not ask them, or Indonesia, there are a thousand islands there that will accept Muslims (maybe, if they are true Muslims, which is questionable in some circles)  -  Nope, I see they the same as the Palestinians, no one wants them either, thats why their neighbors are fighting to keep them in that small strip of land near Israel.

12 hours ago, DM07 said:

Wow!

Then I could hope, that you and your ilk, come back in the next life as an oppressed, refugee, minority, stateless, homeless, devoid of nearly all human rights and ridiculed by a-holes on a web- forum, who have no empathy for anyone, except themselves!

You must be melting in this heat.

18 hours ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...shouldn't they 'own up'....???

...open the borders to these non-Thais....and others....

...expect only to reap the benefits.....

....while providing little or no rights....

....for decades....

...why....even we can relate....(???)

....I see the parallels......and I have often uttered....'living like a refugee'....

...especially after having been 'cleaned out'...and discarded...

What are you talking about? Sounds like jibberish.

13 hours ago, DM07 said:

Wow!

I have empathy up until such time that freedoms and way of life are challenged by a group that shows no gratitude "its allah's will" or intent on assimulating. Muslims, their religion of intolerance and violence are a problem everywhere in the world that practice western values.