A full medical check up in the Bangkok area?

I'm sure that our Sheryl will come in soon to help, but from experience, better shop around among the big hospitals

with what your requirements are for the best price...

• Thanks 1

I'm considering RSU health in maybe a month or two, it's been mentioned before by Sheryl but that post was some years ago. The prices on website, if correct, seems very fair, not too much different than play google is my doctor and own lab work.  Anyone know if they box you into the age ranges for the health checks? I just want the cheap package plus 3 extra tests.. 

If money is no object though I would happily go for BNH on Covaent road, everything just seems spot on there, even the small things - the comfy chairs, little roof garden, to the valet parking, that said you pay for it! 

• Thanks 1

OP how old are you and what tests are you seeking? 

Any particular health problems or risk factors?

One cannot rely on "packages" to include what you need. They tend to omit needed things and include tests not indicated for general screening. You need to start by deciding what tests to get.

• Thanks 1

On 2/6/2024 at 10:45 AM, mfinasi said:

I'm considering RSU health in maybe a month or two, it's been mentioned before by Sheryl but that post was some years ago. The prices on website, if correct, seems very fair, not too much different than play google is my doctor and own lab work.  Anyone know if they box you into the age ranges for the health checks? I just want the cheap package plus 3 extra tests.. 

Pretty much anywhere you can opt for whatever package you want and add on additional tests.

Age related "packages" are not well designed here and higher age packages often contain unreliable tests not suitable for health screening while still omitting things you need.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

The Major hospitals all run health screening packages...

I do them yearly with Thai Elite and get a choice of a hanful of hosptials and have done full Medical Check-ups at Bumrungrad, Bangkok Hosptial and Samitivej.

The package has varied over the years... 

It used to be full on - stress EKG - i.e. running on a treadmill, with EKG, then using ultra-sound to map the heart valves (interesting stuff to see)...    These last few years its just been a standard EKG on a tread-mill.

They also do the chest x-ray, full blood screening, full abdominal ultrasound.... also the vision and hearing tests (which I'm not bothered about)...

Most Hospitals have these packages advertised on their Websites.

As an example: https://www.samitivejhospitals.com/package/detail/annual-health-check-up-packages-samitivej-sukhumvit#check-up

36 minutes ago, Gee Bangkok said:

I'm 56...

I don't really know what tests I should be doing. 

A general thing? 

At 56 with no known health problems I would suggest:

CBC

ALT/AST

BUN

Creatnine

Lipid Panel: HDL, LDL, triglycerides

HB1Ac

PSA

Exercise Stress Test (which includes EKG)

Eye Pressure

You should also get a colonoscopy if you have not had one in past 10 years, but that needs to be arranged separately.

None of the hospital "packages" will exactly match what you need (usually the case). The basic packages will usually omit HB1Ac, PSA and EST.  The more extensive packages will include the ofllowing unnecessary test which are not suitable for screening purposes and quite likely to give false positives leading to unnececessary and expensive further tests:

- abdominal ultrasound

-"tumor markers" - AFP, CEA etc

- Hepatitis panel

Abdominal ultrasound and Hepatitis panel are necessary only if liver enzymes (blood test) come back abnormal or you have specific known risk factors or symptoms.

The so-called "tumor markers" are not recommended for mass screening and often positive in people without cancer; in addition the normal range used in Thailand for AFP is much lower than international. (This is because of a high incidence of primary liver cancer in Thais - not relevant for Westerners among who primary liver cancer is very rare).

The "gold heart" package at Vejthani Hospital (8,700 baht) includes everything you need except PSA and eye pressure. You might contact them and ask if these 2 things can be added on. https://www.vejthani.com/packages-and-programs/cardiac-screening-package/

Alternatively:

RSU Standard checkup (3,900 baht) has everything you need except for PSA, HB1Ac and EST (stress test). Contact them and aks what it would cost to add these  https://rsuhealth.com/product/ตรวจสุขภาพ-24-รายการ-standard-check-up-package-สำ/

• Thanks 2

OP I forgot..

There is a clinic in Huay Kwang next to Ganesha shrine. You can get lab tests done here very cheap. Google each test to find out what it tests and and acceptable ranges. Very cheap. I just do this now. These tests often go out to hospitals anyway so you could probably go to any clinic.

Redundant to Sheryl's list. Probably most of these not in standard packages.

Liver enzymes (ALT, AST)

Hb1Ac (better than fasting blood sugar)

Fibroscan / liver

Ultrasound upper abdomen /liver

PSA

Manual prostste exam (DRE)

Lipid panel (HFl, LDK, triglycerides)

BUN and creatnine

C reactive protein

Complete blood count

Free + total Testosterone, SHBG

EDIT that clinic also has same pkgs thru the year. I think B1300 for a battery of tests. I do this plus add ons

Edited by Sluglord
  • Thanks 2