Cambodia burns illicit drugs worth 2 mln USD on anti-drug day

geovalin

PHNOM PENH, June 26 (Xinhua) -- Cambodia burned down 64 kg of illicit drugs with a street value of 2 million U.S. dollars on Tuesday, which marked the International Day against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking, said an anti-drug chief. "Most of the illicit drugs were crystal methamphetamine, methamphetamine pills, heroin, and cocaine, as well as marijuana," Deputy Prime Minister Ke Kim Yan, who is also chairman of the National Authority for Combating Drugs, told reporters after the burning ceremony.

He said the drugs were confiscated from criminals in late 2017 and early 2018. According to Ke Kim Yan, in the first five months of 2018, the authorities had arrested 5,702 drug suspects in 2,870 cases and seized 93.2 kg of illicit drugs. He added that the Southeast Asian country had found 9,364 drug addicts during the January-May period this year, and 7,056, or 75 percent of them had received drug quit treatment.

source http://www.xinhuanet.com/english/2018-06/26/c_137281575.htm

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, phycokiller said:

treat it as a health issue rather then a moral issue

Didn't either Denmark or Norway try decriminalization  without a lot of success?  

Please don't take this as a hostile response, it's just that the drug problem is so complex.  It's not just the drug smugglers and pushers but pharma corporations cashing in, the Oxycodine epidemic in the US being the perfect example.  I often wonder if there is such a thing as a solution. 

2 hours ago, dddave said:

Didn't either Denmark or Norway try decriminalization  without a lot of success?  

Please don't take this as a hostile response, it's just that the drug problem is so complex.  It's not just the drug smugglers and pushers but pharma corporations cashing in, the Oxycodine epidemic in the US being the perfect example.  I often wonder if there is such a thing as a solution. 

yes, you really need to define the problem before you can find a solution, for me the drug problem is that addicts are much more likely to break into my house or mug me because they want money for drugs so I would rather the government didnt reduce their supply and the cost their addiction is kept down. what they do behind closed doors is not my business. as far as decriminalization, I havent checked the latest results but I think its been an improvement where ever its been tried. the oxy problem does seem to kill people, but I dont see calls in these forums for the manufacturers or the pharmacies to have their balls cut of with rusty razors or be locked in prison for life so thats a bit strange.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I remember a few years ago when the authorities issued a video showing them burning confiscated drugs, mostly ganja.

On an open bonfire.  Lots of happy onlookers!!

its just a show for the west, ganja has been used for medicine, cooking and religion in cambodia since the indians introduced it a thousand years ago. they seem unaware that the US is now legalizing it