Under pressure from populists, EU doubles down on curbing migration

webfact

Under pressure from populists, EU doubles down on curbing migration

By Robert-Jan Bartunek and Philip Blenkinsop

2018-06-27T231357Z_1_LYNXMPEE5Q2LR_RTROPTP_3_EUROPE-MIGRANTS-SPAIN.JPG

Migrants of a group intercepted aboard dinghies off the coast in the Strait of Gibraltar, are seen on a rescue boat after arriving at the port of Barbate, southern Spain, June 27, 2018. REUTERS/Jon Nazca

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - European Union leaders meet in Brussels on Thursday to agree new measures to restrict arrivals across the Mediterranean as growing popular discontent over immigration puts pressure on governments from Germany to Italy.

With populist and right-wing parties on the rise across the EU, the bloc will move to tighten its external borders and assign more money for countries in regions such as Northern Africa to prevent people from getting into Europe, according to a draft statement of the two-day talks.

But EU leaders are deeply divided over what to do with legitimate asylum seekers who make it anyway, fleeing conflicts in the Middle East and Africa. The row has split them bitterly for three years and shows no signs of abating.

Chancellor Angela Merkel is under pressure from her coalition partners to stem immigration to Germany, while Italy has long been overwhelmed with arrivals and the new government there rejects any moves that would see it handle more people.

At stake is EU members' unity and trust in each other, as well as the bloc's Schengen zone of control-free travel. Unless a pan-EU solution is found, some countries are threatening to slap border checks to fish out migrants they do not want.

That would also hit business and travel across the bloc, threatening many jobs among the EU's half a billion people.

Leaders are also set to clash over curbing so-called secondary movements of immigrants, where people arriving in coastal states such as Italy make it to the wealthiest ones like Germany across the EU's invisible borders.

If she is unable to get an EU-deal on that, Merkel has said she would seek bilateral accords. The one she needs with Rome would be particularly difficult to pull off.

Differences between EU leaders have played out prominently in recent days, laying the ground for what is certain to be a fraught discussion behind closed doors.

Political pressure runs high, despite the fact that sea arrivals stand at 44,000 people so far this year, according to U.N. data, a far cry from the 2015 peak when more than a million refugees and migrants got in.

In public, the 28 EU leaders will attempt a show of unity to convince their voters back home they are in control and there won't be a repeat of 2015. Opinion polls show migration is a top concern for EU citizens.

One new idea they have is for "regional disembarkation platforms" around the Mediterranean, where the EU would hold people who try the dangerous crossing, assess their asylum requests and hold those who fail before they are sent back.

There are multiple legal, security and rights-related challenges to the plan and no country outside the EU has so far been willing to host such sites, which the bloc insists would not amount to "camps".

No quick decisions are expected on that, but the EU hopes the political backing for such an idea would provide enough ammunition for Merkel, Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte and others to take back home and stave off the challenge from those advocating an even tougher course.

The summit chairman, Donald Tusk, says the stakes are high.

"More and more people are starting to believe that only strong-handed authority, anti-European and anti-liberal in spirit, with a tendency towards overt authoritarianism, is capable of stopping the wave of illegal migration," he said.

"If people believe them, that only they can offer an effective solution to the migration crisis, they will also believe anything else they say," he added. "Time is short."

Beyond difficult discussions on migration, the EU will try to close ranks on trade in the face of increasingly hostile policies by U.S. President Donald Trump, who introduced tariffs on EU steel and aluminium, and is now mulling the same for cars.

EU leaders will discuss security before the July 11-12 NATO summit and an EU-NATO summit before that, and are due to extend their sanctions on Russia - a theme where the reluctant Conte plays a key role again as any such decision requires unanimity.

They will discuss their next, seven-year joint budget from 2021 and push forward with some Franco-German proposals to beef up the euro zone.

They will listen as well to British Prime Minister Theresa May's update on her Brexit plans. On Friday, the remaining 27 leaders without May will issue a warning that divorce talks are slow, most notably on the highly-sensitive issue of the Irish border, according to the draft statement.

Countries, business and people should plan for a worst-case scenario in which Britain crashes out next March with little clarity of what comes next, they will say.

(Reporting by Philip Blenkinsop, Robert-Jan Bartunek, Alissa de Carbonnel, Robin Emmott, Jan Strupczewski, Noah Barkin and Gabriela Baczynska; Writing by Gabriela Baczynska; Editing by Mark Potter)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2018-06-28

Just now, sweatalot said:

I don't mind the EU letting Nobel prize winners in chemistry, medicine and physics in, even all kind of Nobel Prize winners. 

How do you know who the winners are going to be until they've come in and benefited from their new country's educational resources?  If only we had a crystal ball and could see into the future.

Just now, sweatalot said:

But what do you think is the majority of those immigrants coming to EU? And do you think the majority are they members of a tolerant religion?

Argument from ignorance.  We don't know, therefore... scary!

Asking the pregnant question "what do you think is going to happen..." is asking me to appeal to my biases.  If you really want an honest debate, don't do that.  Instead, give me some objective data and evidence that I can use to base my decisions on.

9 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

How about the number of Nobel Prize winners compared to the number of criminals & criminal acts performed by foreign immigrants coupled together with their not wanting to abide by or respect for their new host countries laws for a starter.....

I didn't see any numbers or data in your post.  Are you "just asking questions"?  There's a term for that: JAQing off:

"Just asking questions (also known as JAQing off) is a way of attempting to make wild accusations acceptable (and hopefully not legally actionable) by framing them as questions rather than statements."

11 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

The eu has shot itself in the foot by expanding the 'free borders' policy - allowing in droves of economic migrants.

I tried to look up what a "free border" policy is, but couldn't find anything.  Are you perhaps referring to open border policy?  

Can you link me to some information about when the EU established or expanded a "free border" policy.  Are you thinking of the Schengen Agreement?  If your future posts could contain a little less heat and a little more light, that would be great.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, sweatalot said:

So our political correct call common sense "populist"

shame on them.

if they had common sense, they were that kind of "populist", too

Good that some countries are waking up

They don't lack common sense. The politically correct have their vision of Europe which they have deemed to be the best for the people whether they want it or not. The can't accept any challenge to that vision and dismiss the reality of any challenges or criticism by pretending otherwise and lying. 

It's intentional.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sweatalot said:

I don't mind the EU letting Nobel prize winners in chemistry, medicine and physics in, even all kind of Nobel Prize winners. 

But what do you think is the majority of those immigrants coming to EU? And do you think the majority are they members of a tolerant religion?

The Christian religion taught the world about religious intolerance, persecution and violence.

Just like your mate hitler demonised jews and jewish religion we see the same blockheads selecting a new bete noir

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The politically correct have their vision of Europe which they have deemed to be the best for the people whether they want it or not.

This term "politically correct" is now used in so many different ways that I don't even know what it's supposed to mean any more.  It used to be a good thing to avoid offending people by choosing the right vocabulary.  Has it now become so fashionable to stoke people's fear and anger by using emotionally charged language, that we can cast away any concern about how our words will be received?

If so, then words might just as well be bullets. 

630600342_tolespoliticalcorrectnesspoliticallycorrect.PNG.0b68126f3ca104ef98f969f5aebbc75c.PNG

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, attrayant said:

This term "politically correct" is now used in so many different ways that I don't even know what it's supposed to mean any more.  It used to be a good thing to avoid offending people by choosing the right vocabulary.  Has it now become so fashionable to stoke people's fear and anger by using emotionally charged language, that we can cast away any concern about how our words will be received?

If so, then words might just as well be bullets. 

630600342_tolespoliticalcorrectnesspoliticallycorrect.PNG.0b68126f3ca104ef98f969f5aebbc75c.PNG

po·lit·i·cal cor·rect·ness

noun

the avoidance, often considered as taken to extremes, of forms of expression or action that are perceived to exclude, marginalize, or insult groups of people who are socially disadvantaged or discriminated against. Source Wiki

Google is your friend. 

Note the use of the word 'extremes". Insult and belittle is one thing. Actually making factual comments, like the number of rapes and assaults carried out by a section of the community is something different. 

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, attrayant said:

Countries that clamp down too tightly on immigration are shooting themselves in the foot.  Diversity and cultural richness is what made the USA great.

Reuters: More than one-third of U.S. Nobel prize winners in chemistry, medicine and physics are immigrants

Limit your talent and resource pools at your own expense.

No one, AFAIK, has said they want their country to stop immigration or clamp down on it rigidly. 

They are saying that illegal economic migration should be clamped down on. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

Google is your friend. 

I'm not sure how you got from my post that I don't understand what the phrase is supposed to mean.  What I said is that it's being used in such bizarre ways that it has lost all sense of its original positive, benevolent meaning. 

Being politically sensitive to your listener is supposed to be a good thing, but the phrase has become a pejorative, in the same vein as "liberal", "globalist" and "snowflake".  When I see these phrases being thrown around as pejoratives, I start scrolling because I know the poster has run out of vocabulary.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I see Mr Blair is opening his mouth again, whilst I sort of agree with his Nazi Germany comparisons he is part of the cause/problem by invading Iraq with Mr Bush without a UN mandate starting the movement of displaced people.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/tony-blair-warns-future-comparisons-nazi-germany-may-not-far-fetched-090118431.html

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Expatthailover said:

The Christian religion taught the world about religious intolerance, persecution and violence.

Just like your mate hitler demonised jews and jewish religion we see the same blockheads selecting a new bete noir

that's right but it is the past, long ago 

...  and what do you think is the religion of the overwhelming majority of the immigrants teaching NOW?  (and practicing)

Edited by sweatalot
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

No one, AFAIK, has said they want their country to stop immigration or clamp down on it rigidly. 

They are saying that illegal economic migration should be clamped down on. 

I got good news for you, Illegal economic immigration into Europe already has been clamped down on.

Italy got the illegal smugglers in Libya to stop and detention centers have been established there.

There's a deportation agreement with Sudan.

Another deal with Niger

And the most important deal is the one with Turkey.

Levels are back to where there were before the huge 2015 influx.

image.png.e1b2b246f453d38184a8057e9e74e4ea.png

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/06/27/world/europe/europe-migrant-crisis-change.html

image.png

Edited by bristolboy
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, billd766 said:

Then why are those immigrants leaving their own countries where they would be of far more use?

Gee I have literally no idea.  Let's go to the streets of Aleppo and find somebody to ask:

aleppo.jpg.abad5a1e349e8ae688c78f62105d9545.jpg

Well those guys don't seem to be too interested in chatting right now; perhaps they're on their way to a Sunday brunch or something.

Now that I've gotten the sarcasm out of my system (for now), let me turn your question right back at you and ask: Why don't you think they want to stay in their own countries if they could be of far more use there?  Do you really think people just wake up one day and decide on a whim to move around the world with nothing but the clothes on their back?

11 hours ago, attrayant said:

Countries that clamp down too tightly on immigration are shooting themselves in the foot.  Diversity and cultural richness is what made the USA great.

Reuters: More than one-third of U.S. Nobel prize winners in chemistry, medicine and physics are immigrants

Limit your talent and resource pools at your own expense.

I don't think the argument is about immigrants who can actually contribute something of value to their adopted country.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bristolboy said:

I got good news for you, Illegal economic immigration into Europe already has been clamped down on.

Italy got the illegal smugglers in Libya to stop and detention centers have been established there.

There's a deportation agreement with Sudan.

Another deal with Niger

And the most important deal is the one with Turkey.

Levels are back to where there were before the huge 2015 influx.

image.png.e1b2b246f453d38184a8057e9e74e4ea.png

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/06/27/world/europe/europe-migrant-crisis-change.html

image.png

Oh no! What are the populists going to do now? Get an education? Get a career? ?

27 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

I don't think the argument is about immigrants who can actually contribute something of value to their adopted country.

How do we know who those people are?  I know this discussion is about the EU, but surely there must be some vetting process there?  In the USA, refugees go through extreme vetting that can involve twenty steps and take up to two years.  Is that not enough?

Who knows, the cure for cancer might be trapped inside the mind of a destitute child refugee from Syria.  All humans have the potential to grow into something amazing, but for some reason we prefer to focus on the 1% of the "bad guys" who might commit a crime and ignore the 99% of good guys who will eventually become upstanding citizens who give back tenfold to their host country.

If that's not throwing the baby out with the bathwater, then I don't know what is.

19 hours ago, attrayant said:

I didn't see any numbers or data in your post.  Are you "just asking questions"?  There's a term for that: JAQing off:

"Just asking questions (also known as JAQing off) is a way of attempting to make wild accusations acceptable (and hopefully not legally actionable) by framing them as questions rather than statements."

Anyone with a modicum of intelligence will know the answer to this one