CCTV

grollies

Searched around for info on CCTV installation, can someone point me in the right direction?

Looking to install 4 or 6 CCTV cameras with around 250m of cable to a dedicated screen.

Has anyone an idea of costs/advice on systems?

My electrician is saying the cable is mega expensive and prepping me for a big bill.

Thanks.

This is just an idea that might help save money not exactly sure how its done though.

The local computer store who installed our point to point wireless link uses the same point to point method to monitor IP cameras at his house approx 500m away. The security images are extremely clear which I believe is one of the benefits of using digital network cameras.

Edited by Fruit Trader
  • Thanks 1

Cheers chaps, I'm nowhere near Khonkaen.

I have no internet here so it would be an internal network build. I just need to know I'm not getting ripped-off on equipment costs.

13 hours ago, colinneil said:

Grollies where you based?

If you are near Khonkaen, Linkline good company fitted mine, 4 cameras 17.000 baht.

That's not bad Colinneil 

Mine was about the same by PSI

Not the Bullet types though

I have 1 that remains colour at night & 2 lesser types 

Also decided to get a Wifi Robot 2 ............  I found with the Wifi that when you put the SD card in it throws the camera offline 

I tried Rebooting (camera ) / turning main system off - on / Formating card, to no evail, so now just have the current live pic & no memory of camera 

Done all the Google searches & the only thing might be if the Huwie 3 BBB has a Firewall which may not allow the camera through 

OH but how can that be if it gets through for just the immediate live picture but when I put the card in it will be offline by the end of day

As for the OP's cable, it is not that expensive 

The charge per camera install was 1000 bht which includes all hardware & it was maybe 30 mtrs of cable per camera

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BEVUP said:

That's not bad Colinneil 

Mine was about the same by PSI

Not the Bullet types though

I have 1 that remains colour at night & 2 lesser types 

Also decided to get a Wifi Robot 2 ............  I found with the Wifi that when you put the SD card in it throws the camera offline 

I tried Rebooting (camera ) / turning main system off - on / Formating card, to no evail, so now just have the current live pic & no memory of camera 

Done all the Google searches & the only thing might be if the Huwie 3 BBB has a Firewall which may not allow the camera through 

OH but how can that be if it gets through for just the immediate live picture but when I put the card in it will be offline by the end of day

As for the OP's cable, it is not that expensive 

The charge per camera install was 1000 bht which includes all hardware & it was maybe 30 mtrs of cable per camera

Thanks @BEVUP 

I replaced and added to my old analogue, hardwired, 4 camera system earlier this year.  I installed the original system about 6 years ago.  No real technical knowledge required to install, very simple/basic connection.  Each camera required a power supply and the cable to the recorder/monitor.  Laying-in of the camera to recorder cables gave me the biggest headaches.

For the upgrade, I only needed 6 cameras but the kits only come in 4 or 8 cameras.  I settled for an 8 camera digital, wireless system.  The cameras have built in inferred LEDs for night surveillance.

Cost quoted for 4 camera kit was around 4,500 BHT, and 8 camera kit was 7,500 BHT.

Again, each camera requires a 220 volt AC power supply.  The big bonus is that you don’t need any cables to connect the cameras to the recorder as everything is wireless and pre-set up for you.  Range from camera to recorder is claimed to be 500 meters (line of site) but this is reduced by buildings etc. 

My recorder is located inside the house (surrounded by walls) and the furthest camera is about 100 meters away.  Pictures are excellent and night pictures are amazing compared to the original analogue system.

I installed the cameras (including power supplies) and set them up in less than an afternoon.

I live on the Western outskirts of BKK and purchased the kit from a company in Pantip Plaza in BKK.  Managed to get a 500 BHT discount off the 8 camera kit.  I have seen these kits are available on Aliexpress, but not sure if you will need to pay import tax and VAT.

Picture below shows 2 of the cameras.  The grey box which they are mounted on are standard electrical boxes purchased from HomePro at 50 BHT each and contain the power supply and adaptor.

Hope this helps.

CCTV-Cameras-IV.jpg

• Thanks 2

Chat with local network camera guy gave some interesting info.

His remote monitored home ip cameras are hard wired using LAN cable that includes additional pair for camera power supply. The cables all connect back to a LAN switch and common power supply. The LAN switch is then linked to his shop network 650M away with point to point wireless and monitored using mini PC and camera software.

Apparently professional security camera installers use cable with built in power supply line and avoid having 220v power adapters scattered around a building which can be a fire risk in hot roof spaces. IP cameras often use a POE DVR or POE switch to deliver camera power from central location.

Cost for 4 hard wired static 1080p cameras at average size house 20k - 50k Baht depending on quality of cameras and DVR.

Edited by Fruit Trader
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Arjen said:

I heard (but not sure if this is correct) that a big disadvantage from IP camera's (wireless, or hardwired) is that with a power failure, it is possible your recorder "forgets" the IP addresses from the camera's.

Any of you gurus know if arjen is right about this?

4 hours ago, Arjen said:

I heard (but not sure if this is correct) that a big disadvantage from IP camera's (wireless, or hardwired) is that with a power failure, it is possible your recorder "forgets" the IP addresses from the camera's.

1 hour ago, grollies said:

Since installing my wireless system we've had a couple of power outages to the house which obviously means no power to either the cameras or the recorder.  The outages have lasted anywhere between one and 5 hours.  On both occasions when the power has returned the system has operated as normal with no loss of the IP addresses or need to reset the system.

Within the instructions that were provided with the kit, they explain the procedure you need adopt to register the new camera's IP address which appears fairly simple and straight forward so it should not be a real problem if a power outage did require re-registering the IP addresses of the cameras. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grollies said:

A little research reveals problems with both digital and analogue systems losing channels as there are plenty of Shenzhen specials that hate a power cycle. Digital systems seem to suffer more from poor installation and configuration.

I now have the security camera bug and currently researching a DIY project to install two half way decent 1080p cameras in our yard. I am already up to 8k for cameras only and that's not near top quality. Not sure about NVR might use micro PC and camera software. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fruit Trader said:

A little research reveals problems with both digital and analogue systems losing channels as there are plenty of Shenzhen specials that hate a power cycle. Digital systems seem to suffer more from poor installation and configuration.

The system that I installed recently was MIC and gives (IMO) very good quality pictures, both day and night, plus very good replay images, so I wouldn't knock the fact that they are MIC.  OK, its not by any stretch of the imagination a top of the range system incorporating PTZ , movement activation or facial recognition, which for my application is not required.

Regarding the loss of channels, as I mentioned in my earlier post, we have had a couple of power outages since I did the installation earlier this year and when the power came back up all the channels appeared on the monitor via the recorder.  No resetting was necessary.

I can see that mains spiking could be a problem with the electronics in the cameras and recorder if the mains voltage was supplied direct to them, but the cameras and recorder provided in my system are supplied with 12 volts DC through their own separate power adaptors, so mains spikes shouldn't affect the electronics in the main hardware.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 007 RED said:

The system that I installed recently was MIC and gives (IMO) very good quality pictures, both day and night, plus very good replay images, so I wouldn't knock the fact that they are MIC.  OK, its not by any stretch of the imagination a top of the range system incorporating PTZ , movement activation or facial recognition, which for my application is not required.

Pleased to hear you camera kit performs well and that you discovered one of the better Chinese offerings.

Being made in China is not an issue for me if there is at least basic firmware support and maybe a little net feedback. I don't like rolling the dice for products over 4k and prefer not to buy twice. After reading a few forums and preferring not to break the bank, Taiwanese Avtech are one of my choices if I go down the ready made NVR route.

Edited by Fruit Trader
  • Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 9:35 AM, Arjen said:

I am currently installing a CCTV system, and bought the cable. For 710 meter I paid 3.200 Baht. Although I place the cable in tubes, I bought the quality for outside use.

I installed already 8 camera's 7 more will follow. My previous system was 10 years old. I have connected new (HD) camera's on excisting cables. Now with HD quality I found out that rats have damaged some cables. I need to rewire these camera's also. The cable is not that expansive. Installing the cable is a big job.

Arjen.

image.thumb.png.6128baee07a4e01e8d15974b827f595e.png

I use  starcam cameras, wifi or  hard  wired, mine are wifi as cover a large area,  no issue with loss  after  electric  supply is  cut off. I use  EYE4 program , not the best but works fine for me, easay to install though i see Grollies  has no internet, however normal systems are pretty easy to do

cams.jpg

2 hours ago, kannot said:

I use  starcam cameras, wifi or  hard  wired, mine are wifi as cover a large area,  no issue with loss  after  electric  supply is  cut off. I use  EYE4 program , not the best but works fine for me, easay to install though i see Grollies  has no internet, however normal systems are pretty easy to do

cams.jpg

Thanks @kannot

2 hours ago, Arjen said:

I use HIKVision. Although also available here, I decided for service and assistance reasons to purchase from UK. Price I paid is competetive with buying local.

Arjen.

I have seen one of their 5MP wide angle network cameras in action was very impressive.

Popular brand global support.

https://www.hikvision.com/th

• Like 1