บัวปริ่มน้ำ And Others

sking_is_leaving

There's a drama on TV right now called บัวปริ่มน้ำ.

Whilst บัว means lotus flower, I am told the whole phrase means a lotus flower that is partially submerged, and is used to describe a person that tries to be good but is sometimes bad.

Simiarly, there is also บัวใต้น้ำ, a fully submerged lotus flower, which my dictionary translates as "unguidable" or "hopeless".

And บัวพ้นน้ำ, an unsubmerged lotus flower, which I assume is used for a good person.

Has anyone heard of these, and can correct me, or make better translations?

Thanks

It's a famous Buddhist teaching in which Buddha said there are four kinds of people, and they can be compared to four kinds of lotus (บัวสี่เหล่า).

1. บัวพ้นน้ำ unsubmerged lotus ready to bloom when touched by sunlight = very intelligent people who are able to readily and effortlessly understand dharma (or any teachings) at first hearing.

2. บัวปริ่มน้ำ หรือ บัวเสมอน้ำ lotus on the water level which will bloom the next day = quite intelligent people who, when using a little bit of effort to study or contemplate, are able to understand dharma in a short time.

3. บัวใต้น้ำ submerged lotus = people who have medium or low intelligence, but with good will and effort, they too can one day understand dharma one day.

4. บัวในโคลนตม lotus stuck in mud = hopeless or ignorant and lazy people who won't understand dharma even when repeatedly told to (and they won't make any effort). This kind of lotuses will be food for fish and turtles.

So I guess the title of the drama บัวปริ่มน้ำ suggests that the main character has potential to be good/successful, but is still waiting for a chance to bloom.