So why don’t Thais want to wear their bike helmets?

rooster59

30 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Ah, cyclists falls/crashes with the top of their heads first. I didn't know this.:smile:

You really should get some English comprehension skills together before attempting to call anyone out on an English speaking forum. 

5 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

You really should get some English comprehension skills together before attempting to call anyone out on an English speaking forum. 

Well, comprehend this:

Because they only provide protection to the top of your head

That's what you said. Any professional sport I know of, have rules regarding safety equipment. So if those helmets are good enough for professional racing cyclists, I think you can safely use them.

On 7/2/2018 at 8:46 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

I saw a m'bike rider the other day that hadn't fastened the chin strap- a FARANG.

While ago, saw a young farang m'bike rider not wearing a helmet. Not just a Thai problem.

BTW, the farang rider not wearing his helmet isn't covered by travel insurance.

Many Western expats and tourists don't wear helmets - it's not only many Thais....

But to look on the bright side, I've noticed a large increase in Thais wearing helmets over the last few years.

56 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Well, comprehend this:

That's what you said. Any professional sport I know of, have rules regarding safety equipment. So if those helmets are good enough for professional racing cyclists, I think you can safely use them.

Did you think to read on in the sentence, to the bit about Thai helmet regulations or does your limited English comprehension skills not provide you the ability to understand an entire sentence?

57 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

Well, comprehend this:

Great, you think any pro sport has rules on safety equipment so you could use their safety equipment for something that looks similar to you.  Fortunately the Thai government disagrees with you and has a safety regulation specifically for motorcycle helmets and that stipulates that they must provide protection, not only for the top of your head like a bicycle helmet, but also for the side.

26 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

I never wear a helmet unless heading for long trip or going on big road for extended trip. Get over it.

And Nobody cares if your head busts open like a melon when it hits the road. Get over it. 

2 minutes ago, Ks45672 said:

And Nobody cares if your head busts open like a melon when it hits the road. Get over it. 

If you want to make Thailand like your home nanny state, why did you come here? Or maybe you didn't......

7 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

If you want to make Thailand like your home nanny state, why did you come here? Or maybe you didn't......

I don't tolerate fools gladly. Maybe I'll be more patient in the next life. Get over it. 

13 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Thailand want rules, that is why they make them, its not about what an expat wants Thailand to be.

13 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Thailand want rules, that is why they make them, its not about what an expat wants Thailand to be.

its an education thing, i remember mandatory helmet protests in US and canada when the laws were introduced.

we have very short memories, if the law is strictly enforced now, it will be the norm for the next generation.

education is like that, anti littering campaigns, the banishment of plastic, seat belts, anti drink drive campaigns etc, all take time to become second nature, no matter where you are.

those who cant learn get old, die, and their children get it.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

And how they enforce them is up to them.

You implied a moment ago that the reason you came here is that you can get away with breaking some Thai laws.  People like you should be kicked out, you are actively campaigning against the law.

4 minutes ago, Kieran00001 said:

You implied a moment ago that the reason you came here is that you can get away with breaking some Thai laws.  People like you should be kicked out, you are actively campaigning against the law.

Have a nice day. At the moment I'm finishing up a nice yellow fin tuna steak in "Parts Unknown" before I head back to my ship. 

10 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Have a nice day. At the moment I'm finishing up a nice yellow fin tuna steak in "Parts Unknown" before I head back to my ship. 

Is your ship under nanny state rules?  I bet it is, poor little you, how ever will you cope, will they make you wear gloves?

1 minute ago, Kieran00001 said:

Is your ship under nanny state rules?  I bet it is, poor little you, how ever will you cope, will they make you wear gloves?

Only for another year or so, they pay Overtime as well......yes poor little me ahahhaaaa

8 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Only for another year or so, they pay Overtime as well......yes poor little me ahahhaaaa

At least you can an exploit the week laws of a third world country once you've done your nanny ship overtime.  By the way, why are you wasting your shore leave talking to me for?  Nothing better to do?

Thai's and helmets. I think many covered the various reasons. Heat, uncomfortable style and fitment availability, carrying it around so it will not get stolen etc etc. Lets be honest, the helmets offered here are nothing more then a cheap plastic skate board helmet. If strapped on and the rider falls its likely it will break their neck due to poor fitment as the chin strap will allow it to wind up someones neck.  I have 3 dealership given helmets from when I purchased my Waves and bigger bike. They are still in the bag.

Years ago in the U.S. wearing a helmet was left to the riders decision. Same with bicycle riding. Then came the contingency lawyers and BAM..... Helmets Mandatory by Law. I always felt that if one so chooses not to wear a helmet they forfeit any rights at suing anyone or receiving any reimbursement for an accident if brain damage was sustained due to a lack of a helmet. Its all about choices. Would I ride on a major highway or main road without a helmet...NO!

For me, I always wear a helmet when riding my bigger bike and carry my helmet with me if I stop and go in somewhere. If not, my Shoei helmet would be gone in a nano second. I seldom ever wear a helmet when riding my Honda Wave to the local market or nearby around my house and never on my bicycle.