Marriage Documentation

Igetby

After many years of a relationship with my Thai lady I have decided to marry her.  I am fully aware of the procedures and documentation that I am required to follow/produce.

However I am unsure whether I will be required to show my UK Decree Absolute to the Amphur because I will be using the same Khet (Bang  Rak) at which I registered the ending of my previous marriage and have the documentation produced at that time which states that they have seen and verified the Decree Absolute and that the marriage is finished.

I am can ring the British Consulate to find out what they will require in order to produce the affirmation, however I am trying to avoid a trip to Bangkok to the Khet as trying to get them on the telephone is just not possible.

I want 'all my ducks in a row' before my partner and I travel to Bangkok to register the marriage.

Has anyone any relevant experience?

Many thanks

From the Embassy website.

Please note that this service is available for British nationals intending to marry in Thailand only. We cannot administer an affirmation to confirm your marital status if you are already married, divorced or widowed. You should present your marriage certificate, divorce decree absolute or your late spouse’s death certificate.

The divorce papers might need to be translated and certified by the MFA at Laksi District BKK. Might be worth the extra Baht just incase.

Dear I get By  

Congratulations! 

If you register at Bang Rak expect a hassle and delay as is the norm there.

At Bang Rak, they probably will demand to see the Divorce Decree absolute. It is not required by law for the Khet and Amphurs to see it, but they can ask for anything they choose to be shown.. As the divorce is being confirmed by the British embassy affidavit is no required. 

Pretty much for sure that Bang Rak Khet will demand it. 

Which begs to ask why that Khet? 

Maybe is the fond memories of your divorce there...

As this is Thailand, and government offices appear to decide to change rules on a daily basis, if it was me, I would take absolutely everything I thought they may ask for, since it is better to take too much than too little, and therefore have to make return journey etc . 

4 hours ago, English Engineer said:

Take your divorce certificate to the British Embassy and fill in the standarded afadavit. The afadavit needs to be translated into Thai and then certified at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

4 hours ago, English Engineer said:

Take your divorce certificate to the British Embassy and fill in the standarded afadavit. The afadavit needs to be translated into Thai and then certified at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

correct. That is what I had to do.

Thanks all.   Been to local Amphur today and the only thing they require is a copy of my passport page and the affirmation from the British Consulate translated into Thai and verified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.  Also want 2 Thai National witnesses who know me.   

The Consulate however want proof of residence, UK Divorce certificate, my passport and £50.   Do Affirmation in the morning by appointment, collect  after 1430hrs.