Mae Sai district officials contribute silently to rescue mission

snoop1130

Mae Sai district officials contribute silently to rescue mission

By The Nation 
Chiang Rai

8ca77d4c55dcfaddfff59c9c34f3c48e.jpeg

Far from the limelight of the operation to rescue the 13 footballers stranded in a flooded cave, the Mae Sai District Municipality has been providing silent support for the operation – dealing with around 2.5 tonnes of trash produced there every day.

Warnasilp Jeeragat, Clerk of the Mae Sai Subdistrict Municipality, revealed that each day as much as 2.5 tonnes of garbage were generated at the Tham Luang national park. And officers from the district as well as the neighbouring district had to collect and transport the trash to Mae Sai’s landfill twice a day.

4b7839b0d550544463f464fcb1b0b89d.jpeg

Warnasilp revealed that apart from managing the large quantities of garbage each day, the district was one of the first agencies to join the rescue operation. 

He revealed that Mae Sai district had installed electricity poles and temporary toilets. Before the rescue became an international operation, the district had also sent a rescue team in search of the young footballers though they had to retreat due to the rising water levels inside the cave.

827e65ac4d328b5f6659e4bf6c495474.jpeg

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/national/30349308

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2018-7-4
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Basil B said:

I think they ought to find out who is responsible for the safety of the caves?

These caves should be locked up if there is no official guide in attendance.

You cannot really close every cave in Thailand down, just like you cannot fence off all the cliffs either

12 hours ago, natway09 said:

Nothing but admiration for our rubbish collectors rain, hail, shine & often in the middle of the night

every day.

You do not want to see the result if they did not work for 10 days 

And yet my eyes do... It's difficult to miss, it happens every year without fail, it's called songkran... 

1 hour ago, Justfine said:

Millions spent on these kids.

Millions well spent. Some of these kids and the assistant coach may go on to repay Thailand 10 fold.

I have not heard any negative sentiments here in the west but " There's no such thing as bad publicity" a phrase which is often associated with Phineas T. Barnum, the 19th century American showman and circus owner.

Thailand has received world-wide publicity as a result of this rescue; the vast majority of it "good". And the world-wide recue community has been lauded too.

1 hour ago, neeray said:

Millions well spent. Some of these kids and the assistant coach may go on to repay Thailand 10 fold.

I have not heard any negative sentiments here in the west but " There's no such thing as bad publicity" a phrase which is often associated with Phineas T. Barnum, the 19th century American showman and circus owner.

Thailand has received world-wide publicity as a result of this rescue; the vast majority of it "good". And the world-wide recue community has been lauded too.

The publicity today was not so great when it was reported in the international media that they were pumping the water from the cave back in to the cave by mistake. It made them look totally ridiculous and incompetent.

1 minute ago, Fish Head Soup said:

The publicity today was not so great when it was reported in the international media that they were pumping the water from the cave back in to the cave by mistake. It made them look totally ridiculous and incompetent.

Where was that reported ?

10 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Where was that reported ? 

I heard it on a Radio 4 report. It's being covered in local Thai press too. Bangkok Post also running a story about it.

Below is a quote from USA Today;

The race to drain water from a flooded Thailand cave so a young soccer team can be extracted before monsoon rains suffered a setback Thursday when volunteers inadvertently pumped water back into the watery prison.

Operation commander Narongsak Osatanakorn said overzealous volunteers working on their own arrived on site and began pumping water into the ground, forcing it back into the partially flooded Tham Luang Nang Non cave in northern Thailand 

☹️

Edited by Fish Head Soup

4 minutes ago, Fish Head Soup said:

I heard it on a Radio 4 report. It's being covered in local Thai press to. Bangkok Post also running a story about it.

Some of the pumped out water was seeping back into the cave after being discarded to close to the cave

They were pumping it in to the ground.

Which is quite different to directly pumping in back into the cave .

Water seeping in from ground outside is quite different to "pumping it in"

6 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Which is quite different to directly pumping in back into the cave .

Water seeping in from ground outside is quite different to "pumping it in" 

I disagree, it highlights the incompetence of the people who are running the operation.

Just now, Fish Head Soup said:

I disagree, it highlights the incompetence of the people who are running the operation.

It is said that the person doing it wasnt connected with the main operation and he got stopped from doing it any further .

Just now, sanemax said:

It is said that the person doing it wasnt connected with the main operation and he got stopped from doing it any further .

Yes which just highlights further the incompetence of the people running the operation. People can just drive in, enter what should be a very restricted zone, set up there own equipment and start doing whatever they think is a good idea. That shows a complete lack of process, control, and organization.

I don't mind people defending the Thai people and their management skills, but when people like the (ex) governor are being lauded for running such a tight operation, well sorry that's not going to wash. The operation at the coal face so to speak may be getting handled well, but up top has been a shambles to be honest, from vehicles blocking roads, to randoms setting up their own equipment and sending water BACK INSIDE the cave, to unqualified idiots in uniform making stupid demands of people and barking orders about things of which the have no knowledge. And that's before all the 'selfie takers' dressed in uniforms of one description or another that can be seen in the back ground of many of the photos, videos of press conferences etc.

They have made themselves look like idiots on the world stage, everyone wants the same outcome from the rescue, but there is no denying that people are looking at the stories coming out of this place and listening to the soundbites of the authorities and people are thinking <deleted>?

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Sad and unpleasant reading these kinds of posts .

Moan , critical, abuse , looking for shame and embarrassment and incompetence.

Everythings wrong bad and terrible, makes for depressing reading   

It's called reality.

7 minutes ago, Fish Head Soup said:

It's called reality.

It was only a few days ago that an official was receiving abuse for requesting permits to carry out work........................not they are getting abuse for NOT requesting to see permits .

Whatever happens , just look for an angle to give abuse .

Water unintentionally seeped back in after being pumped out , OK . Jeeezz these incompetant idiots should have thought about ground saturation and where the water will drain off , they've embarrassed themselves and their Country and made the look foolish if front of the whole world and they should never be allowed to carry out this work again, fire the lot of them and get someone else into do the job.

Let me join you in your fury

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

It was only a few days ago that an official was receiving abuse for requesting permits to carry out work........................not they are getting abuse for NOT requesting to see permits .

Water unintentionally seeped back in after being pumped out , OK . Jeeezz these incompetant idiots should have thought about ground saturation and where the water will drain off , they've embarrassed themselves and their Country and made the look foolish if front of the whole world and they should never be allowed to carry out this work again, fire the lot of them and get someone else into do the job.

All I can say is when this is over, the kids are out, I want to see the biggest pump collection ever assembled. No excuses

5 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

Powers still off in Puerto Rico from last hurricane season. Seems reality has a long range

Yes, and FEMA along with the US Army had to enter PREPAs main warehouse by force to distribute the parts needed as PREPA was hoarding them. Human greed is an ugly beast indeed.

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

I have taught you well, Grasshopper.

• Confused 1

Yes, and FEMA along with the US Army had to enter PREPAs main warehouse by force to distribute the parts needed as PREPA was hoarding them. Human greed is an ugly beast indeed.

FEMA, haha, your rap just officially came off the rails. Back on topic please.

15 minutes ago, JAZZDOG said:

FEMA, haha, your rap just officially came off the rails. Back on topic please. 

You changed your stance from a few days ago when you posted the following;

The thing that bothers me most is the fact leadership in LOS is pitiful at best. The seven days these kids have been trapped the same leadership directing the rescue has been unable to enforce a basic law to wear helmets going on decades. It's very likely hundreds have died needlessly just this last week due to this one continuing failure to lead effectively. Why would anyone expect this to be different. I have witnessed unbelievable courage from the rank and file responders. The leadership has been status quo. It's exactly what we have come to expect here. Wishing I had a better answer for these kids and their coach. 

Yet now when someone says similar you disagree. Funny that.

12 minutes ago, Fish Head Soup said:

You changed your stance from a few days ago when you posted the following;

Yet now when someone says similar you disagree. Funny that.

I stand by what I said, leadership here is clueless. The rank and file, the Brits and others brought in have done an outstanding job and are on the verge of pulling off most likely LOS greatest accomplishment but you want to condemn I guy working his ass off for mistakenly placing a discharge pipe. What you say is nowhere near similar. Your bashing Thais as complete idiots in your words. Don't go negative on what has been an outstanding effort because of clueless leadership which was a given going in. Bash the leadership all you want just lighten up on your hosts. Ironic how you seem to defend the US leadership and condemn the Latino government in PR. Whats with that? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1