prep land for cane planting.

wife rents some of her land out to cane farmers. changing to a new guy this year on 3 plots, sister in law told said man what land to do some time ago, in the general vague way thais do by pointing....(probably with her chin) got a call today to come check some land.... guy has been preping 40 odd rai of the land next door to the wifes, he aint happy, he said to the wife i though that you said it was 50 rai over.... walked the land with him today, gotta laugh. he is now gonna try and rent the land he has already started on..... 

the other plots he got right.

he plans to start planting october time, pay before he plants too, other guy always pays late.

Remind me not to employ him as my farm manager, as for planting in October, odd time would be to wet, if he uses a planter it will soon get bunged up with soil.

Around here February -May seems to be the optimum time for planting, and water the crop in , unless he has no access to water/irrigation.

When you rent the land out for cane does he pay for all 3-4 years up front? 

around us people always plant from end october,  heavy rains stop usually end sept beginning oct, with a little bit here and there till end jan. the land soon goes rock hard/dusty...

no this guy pays one year up front every october, other guy pays at the end when he gets paid feb/march time. new guy is having to take out 20 odd rai of 12+ year old rubber tree stumps and clear alot of brush land on the 50 ish rai, so for this land is paying 1000 baht per rai, (first year)other land that is ready to work is 1500 baht pe rai. other guy "only" pays 1000 baht a rai but has to much land in cane and cannot control all properly (he farms many 1000's of rai each year) and also has other businesses that take up his time. i did ask the old guy to pay 3 years up front but he says no can do.... he must loose money on the wifes land as it returns very little per rai after the first cut. ie low maintance and very little vits... from what i see the new guy spends money on the crop and gets more back per rai, still around us 1 rai will only return 7 ish ton, max out at 10 but many @ 2/3 ton.555

Archived