Thailand to cash in as Tham Luang cave set to become major tourist attraction

webfact

20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Any opportunity to grab a dollar never gets missed does it? They had better hope they all come out OK then or it will be a morbid attraction, not a tourist one. I can't believe they are talking of tourism when the poor kids are still inside there.

Spot on Darksidedog, I was waiting for a post like this, very typical of Thailand authorities. How many other countries would be as so coldhearted like this. Shame on them.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, tomta said:

No, I'm afraid they don't have freedom. They can print BS of course - but it must be approved BS - not whatever they like. But they are forbidden from printing a lot of factual information .

The rest of your point is well-taken. Although, I don't think the stupidity and arrogance of Prayuth can be solely attributed to poor translation

When i say freedom to BS i mean more in how they translate, not the actual content.

Censorship, for sure you are 100% right to point that out. they must be careful.

Yes its very hard to excuse some of the stuff they come out with in anyones language.

the classic example if they did say something like this back home:

" sexy females should not dress up so sexy if they dont want to get raped, but if your ugly is ok"

they will certainly get strung from the gonads after 30 seconds!

Still, in some of these cases it would be interested to get some script of what they said in the Thai language and study myself.

if i had a lot of time to burn id do it anyway

20 hours ago, poohy said:

Boys still trapped, from what i read no clear rescue plan   so it could still all go wrong! ( i sincerely hope not)

And above all they are planning a tourist attraction sadly so incredibly Thai! .....absolutely amazed 

"absolutely amazed". I'm certainly not, this is Thailand. 

I am going to rush out and buy several foodcarts to feed the steady stream of tourists who will pay to become stranded at Pattaya Beach!

This is the most ridiculous tourist promotion I have read - actually it is macabre!  I guess you could make money (@ Local rate x 5) at a cave site catering to ghoulish thrill seekers.

The cave should be blocked off to prevent anyone from entering.  Highly unlikely since the people who worship the 'Money God' would balk at this idea

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Panda13 said:

Fun fact: 

Did you know that 50% of the people that you talk to everyday. are below average intelligence?

Of all the Farangs I have met in Thaiand over many years, I can only think of two who seemed to me to have below average intelligence.

20 hours ago, Vacuum said:

Now, there's an idea.

Just as well it wasn't Farangs who were trapped in the cave. Oh! wait, don't the Thai government not get enough money out of us as it is?

Edited by possum1931

3 hours ago, tingtongtourist said:

take with a grain of salt.

in reality they probably say like:

"its unavoidable that this story going international will attract the tourist who want to come and see the caves" 

The media here have freedom to print whatever BS they like when it come to English read news.

We as westerner have no choice to trust how they translated the Thai to English.

I gotta laugh so hard when TV posters read something Prayuth has supposedly said. 

They show horror and outrage, like he actually spoke English and said those exact English words the media quoted him as saying.

its just idiotic the way many farang get worked up and cant even be sure of the truth

they did it to Thaksin constantly.

they way they can report him, something like:

" I dont respect farangs and the UN is not my father"

or

" the Thai government is not obligated to  take advice from the west, and we are not bound by the U.N"

which one sound better? lol

They should not be talking about tourism at all while these boys are still trapped inside, so stop making excuses for them.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Prairieboy said:

I am going to rush out and buy several foodcarts to feed the steady stream of tourists who will pay to become stranded at Pattaya Beach!

This is the most ridiculous tourist promotion I have read - actually it is macabre!  I guess you could make money (@ Local rate x 5) at a cave site catering to ghoulish thrill seekers.

The cave should be blocked off to prevent anyone from entering.  Highly unlikely since the people who worship the 'Money God' would balk at this idea

It's perfectly OK to enter when not flooded, and far as I know been a local attraction for many years. They do need to extend the closed period though.

Can't close everything in the world that might be dangerous. Even if we hide in our bedroom ( under the bed ), a block of ice might fall off a plane and kill us. Life is a risk, and ultimately fatal for all of us.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

Thailand to cash in as Tham Luang cave set to become major tourist attraction

Related imageCome and spend time in our caves. Rescue guaranteed.

Hard to decide whether to click "like" or "laugh". 

"Like" to agree with the sarcasm or "laugh" at the absolute stupidity of the idea, considering the kids are still trapped. 

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

To be fair, it started BEFORE he died.

That would not make the slightest difference to these inhuman money worshippers - even if many died in this whole heroic effort. It is still a great potential 'tourist attraction' (= money spinner) - in the Thai faux-elite's eyes.

Disgusting people.

Edited by Eligius
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

They should not be talking about tourism at all while these boys are still trapped inside, so stop making excuses for them.

i dont need to make excuses for them actually i critic them myself very occasionally.

for all we know they could have been worried about tourists coming to the caves and gawking and the whole story gets spun a different way

and then the headline gets adjusted to get a few clicks.

you think it doesnt happen? 

for me, i would not have confidence attacking them if i dont know what was said 100%.

its like if you on a debate team..the Thai team make the first argument in Thai language and then you are expected to get up and respond. how would you go?

5 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I agree with you, Possum1931. To even think about - let alone talk publicly about - 'tourism' and 'tourism attractions' at a time like this, when people could and indeed are losing their lives, is the height of insensitivity. And that's putting it very, very mildly.

Personally, I think such types are psychopaths - totally lacking in all empathy. They have to be of such an emotionally sterile mindset - to be talking about making this terrible cave 'a tourist attraction' while a life-and-death struggle is at this very minute being played out there. 

Yes. Psychopaths. Nothing less.

About on a par of the suggestion some years back of having actors playing Prisoner's of War and Japanese guards at some point along the second world war Thai- Burma railway emulation the "slave" work teams being starved, abused and killed.

Any thing for a few Baht.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Eligius said:

I agree with you, Possum1931. To even think about - let alone talk publicly about - promoting 'tourism' and 'tourist attractions' at a time like this, when people could and indeed are losing their lives, is the height of insensitivity. And that's putting it very, very mildly.

Personally, I think such types are psychopaths - totally lacking in all human empathy. They have to be of such an emotionally sterile mindset - to be talking about making this terrible cave 'a tourist attraction' while a life-and-death struggle is at this very minute being played out there. 

Yes. Psychopaths. Nothing less.

People have a morbid attraction to places like this.

There was some member on another thread on Wednesday that said " Not to mention, tourism for that area is going to sky rocket next season. My whole family is coming over just to visit that cave. So shut your trap." 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Antonymous said:

People have a morbid attraction to places like this.

There was some member on another thread on Wednesday that said " Not to mention, tourism for that area is going to sky rocket next season. My whole family is coming over just to visit that cave. So shut your trap." 

I agree with you, Antonymous.

Such types are sick (if this comment was meant seriously) ...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kannot said:

The Brit divers didnt though did they, true Brits

The UK divers asked for nothing, and as far as I am aware, received nothing  ( only a small momento of their exploits and a free ticket home from " Thai '.

The Thais are always saying " Has a good Heart ", well take take note of the Divers actions and the way they have conducted themselves  to truly find  " a good Heart "

23 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

The UK divers asked for nothing, and as far as I am aware, received nothing  ( only a small momento of their exploits and a free ticket home from " Thai '.

The Thais are always saying " Has a good Heart ", well take take note of the Divers actions and the way they have conducted themselves  to truly find  " a good Heart "

I remember reading something about the mature gent (hero) who went home.

Thai airways give him business class tickets for free.

some minister also give him a certificate of honour with a fancy picture of the 3 volunteers posing with the minister..hmmm

and, um they also did mention he gets a free pair of shoes and a free bowl of Tom yum soup at the airport.

On 7/5/2018 at 2:44 PM, webfact said:

Earlier this week officials in Thailand already announced plans to promote Tham Luang cave to tourists.

Truly only one TiT. And these morons are a right bunch of tits. I wonder whether the death of the Seal will impact on their plans? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jonmarleesco said:

Truly only one TiT. And these morons are a right bunch of tits. I wonder whether the death of the Seal will impact on their plans? 

Sssh, don't mention that, not good tourist PR. 

• Like 1