Weather warning for Phuket remains in effect

rooster59

Weather warning for Phuket remains in effect 

The Phuket News

image (1).jpg

The weather warning re-issued earlier today. Image: TMD

PHUKET: The Thai Meteorological Department (TMD) this morning maintained its weather warning for Phuket and other areas along the Andaman Coast, warning of heavy and possible isolated flash flooding in areas across Southern Thailand.

The notice, originally issued yesterday (July 6) and re-issued at 5am today, warned of strong wind and waves with heavy rain over the South through to next Thursday (July 12).

“The strong southwest monsoon prevails across the Andaman Sea, the South and the Gulf leading to isolated heavy rain likely in the South. Flash flood is possible for the South where heavy rain occurs,” TMD Director-General Wanchai Sakudomchai noted in the warning.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/weather-warning-for-phuket-remains-in-effect-67786.php#BUXyiUSHM6CQ03gi.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-07-07

And one wonders why we ignore the weather warnings here in Phuket? It's been fine overnight and all day! We called the local fish monger to see if boats went out, they did and ordered a fish. Cleaned and filleted by the time we got there, 10 minutes away. Put 105 people on an unstable boat that didn't seek shelter and it overturned. Operator and design error, or just too many people on not a big enough boat? Probably a combination.

Just covering all the bases.

Mother nature does what she will.

Have you ever read a thai met weather report.

they are vague and they only have 2.

1 is sw monsoon is active. Winds 20 to 40 kilometers with 3 meter swells possible in rain in thunderstorms.

The other reads. Sw monsoon is sort of active. Expect 15 to 30 kilometer winds and 2 meter swells in rain squalls.

thats it. 

Now what should be done is use a proper weather forecast. Such windguru  Then double the wind predicted. If there is rain in the forecast tripple it.

I have it down to a science now.

I could pretty much predict my weather.

However i never saw the last system. It cought me out too.

winds were predicted 15 knots and no rain. So the fact we got 56 knots and heavy rain was a bit surprising. But i am not easily fooled.and only slightly surprised.