Road trip

Good morning,

Very last minute planning.

My daughter, my partner and myself a planning a last minute road trip for a week or so.

Planning on leaving next saturday or sunday.
Preference was: Koh Chang but probably not suitable as it's raining a lot in this area.
Driving up north?

Driving south?
As I see, the best weather is south from HuaHin.

Any suggestions where to go for a week trip by car and where to stop and what to see.

Thanks in advance.

No first hand experience,

We were also thinking of taking a ride to Ko Chang, and were concerned about the rain, so we asked a friend who drives there all the time and she said that it rains but at night. In the end we decided to go out of the country for a month.

If you go please post your experience, we might want to go when we come back. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, sirineou said:

No first hand experience,

We were also thinking of taking a ride to Ko Chang, and were concerned about the rain, so we asked a friend who drives there all the time and she said that it rains but at night. In the end we decided to go out of the country for a month.

If you go please post your experience, we might want to go when we come back. 

I usually plan trip well in advance. This 7_9 days road-trip came up shortly.
We want to stay in Thailand as daughter already travelled with her mom to Europe.

Option one was Koh Chang as we love the island and have a favourite hotel but the weather is a concern as this site of Thailand gets most of the rain.

Option two is driving south but no idea where to stop.

Option 3 is driving up north which partner is talking about but up north, it's raining a lot too.

2-3 days  to go but still no plan lol.

3 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

We want to stay in Thailand as daughter already travelled with her mom to Europe.

Option one was Koh Chang as we love the island and have a favourite hotel but the weather is a concern as this site of Thailand gets most of the rain.

Option 3 is driving up north which partner is talking about but up north, it's raining a lot too.

Up here in Khon Kaen it also rains every night for the past couple of weeks, but during the day is not too bad. A bit cloudy, which IMO is good because it cools things down. But you are right it's a hit or miss season. Don't drive too far , not fun driving in the rain, at least for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Up here in Khon Kaen it also rains every night for the past couple of weeks, but during the day is not too bad. A bit cloudy, which IMO is good because it cools things down. But you are right it's a hit or miss season. Don't drive too far , not fun driving in the rain, at least for me. 

I've been in Udon Thani last weekend.
Heavy rain as well but had a nice hotel.
Was the only farang there and during breakfast, they might have thought to play some farang music.
5555 I couldn't believe my luck. They were playing: "I wish you a merry Christmas". Those thais, amazing.

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

Leaving from where & interests might help.   It's rainy season, countrywide, so there's that, and luck of the draw.

We just came back from northern direction.  Had a bit of rain, nothing major, or that would limit sightseeing.  Quite enjoyable.

We travel for the journey, landscape along the way, and R&R at the destination.   So hotel with a view is a priority, as we rarely leave except to eat.

North, and a good start would be Khao Kho area.

South, many like Hua Hin, if never been, Sam Roi Yot, Prachuap Khiri Khan.

Unless into Wats, Nat. Parks and some Khmer ruins, may need to self entertain.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Leaving from where & interests might help.   It's rainy season, countrywide, so there's that, and luck of the draw.

We just came back from northern direction.  Had a bit of rain, nothing major, or that would limit sightseeing.  Quite enjoyable.

We travel for the journey, landscape along the way, and R&R at the destination.   So hotel with a view is a priority, as we rarely leave except to eat.

North, and a good start would be Khao Kho area.

South, many like Hua Hin, if never been, Sam Roi Yot, Prachuap Khiri Khan.

Unless into Wats, Nat. Parks and some Khmer ruins, may need to self entertain.

YES, nice hotels a must. Some sightseeing, mountains, beaches. Open for everything.

If not rainy season, we would be off to Koh Chang but when it rains ( a lot), it's not pleasant.

2 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

YES, nice hotels a must. Some sightseeing, mountains, beaches. Open for everything.

If not rainy season, we would be off to Koh Chang but when it rains ( a lot), it's not pleasant.

You'll probably have rain not matter which direction, unless very lucky.  We did almost everyday, but very lite, or quick blast & done.  Overnight...don't care.  Also rained almost every day at home/PKK (A. Muang). 

We went north, Khao Kho, then up to Nan through Uttaradit & Phrae.  10 days, but spent 3 nights getting there, at Ayutthaya (1 night pitstop from PKK), and 2 nights at Nong Bua Lamphu, for a family thing.  Also a 1 night pitstop at Uttaradit.  Also can minus the 1 day PKK - Aytthaya & return to PKK you won't do.

A bit of driving involved, (Khao Kho - Nan) but quite enjoyed the R&R at Khao Kho & Nan (Bo Kluea) areas.  After Khao Kho, may want to explore something closer, may be loop around via Khai Yai or Kanchanaburi areas.

For us it was 2700+ kms, so knock off 600kms for the PKK-BKK-PKK part.  And a few more, bypassing NBLP.

Our trip IF from BKK:

image.png.815f9159d923747f237941e0fe597da7.png

https://aseannow.com/topic/1298442-leaving-the-bar-stool/page/2/#comment-18204589

The Khao Kho to Bo Kluea leg along (one way) is 500kms, why you may want to loop around and return BKK a different scenic route, after Khao Kho.

• Love It 2

9 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

You'll probably have rain not matter which direction, unless very lucky.  We did almost everyday, but very lite, or quick blast & done.  Overnight...don't care.  Also rained almost every day at home/PKK (A. Muang). 

We went north, Khao Kho, then up to Nan through Uttaradit & Phrae.  10 days, but spent 3 nights getting there, at Ayutthaya (1 night pitstop from PKK), and 2 nights at Nong Bua Lamphu, for a family thing.  Also a 1 night pitstop at Uttaradit.  Also can minus the 1 day PKK - Aytthaya & return to PKK you won't do.

A bit of driving involved, (Khao Kho - Nan) but quite enjoyed the R&R at Khao Kho & Nan (Bo Kluea) areas.  After Khao Kho, may want to explore something closer, may be loop around via Khai Yai or Kanchanaburi areas.

For us it was 2700+ kms, so knock off 600kms for the PKK-BKK-PKK part.  And a few more, bypassing NBLP.

Our trip IF from BKK:

image.png.815f9159d923747f237941e0fe597da7.png

https://aseannow.com/topic/1298442-leaving-the-bar-stool/page/2/#comment-18204589

The Khao Kho to Bo Kluea leg along (one way) is 500kms, why you may want to loop around and return BKK a different scenic route, after Khao Kho.

Sounds interesting, thank you.

If headed S, you don't not want to be in 'weekender' traffic, from/to Bangkok.

I never go to BKK on Sunday, and never leave to come home/PKK on Friday or Saturday.  A traffic nightmare on 35 & 4, as no real alternative routes.

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

If headed S, you don't not want to be in 'weekender' traffic, from/to Bangkok.

I never go to BKK on Sunday, and never leave to come home/PKK on Friday or Saturday.  A traffic nightmare on 35 & 4, as no real alternative routes.

Probably choosing the trip south towards Chumphon.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Where you start?

You know that Friday (effectively Thursday evening) the 6 day holiday break starts?

Do you know what that means in terms of traffic and domestic tourism to wherever you go?

Years ago I made a similar assumption: start a day or two after this late July long weekend. Won't be that bad.

Hell, what I have experienced made me firm in: NEVER AGAIN!

Take Note RafPinto.
Traffic on Rama 2 will be very busy.
Hua hin will be crowded.
If you drive down then take note that there are road works just before Pranburi causing delays also.
Lanes are reduced and i do not think all the road will be back open by weekend.
If you get past Makro and there is a traffic jam, then turn left at  the end of the bypass, to avoid the traffic jam go back towards hua hin a few km and turn off to the right to get across to Pranburi beach.

pranburi road work.GIF

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, RafPinto said:

Probably choosing the trip south towards Chumphon.

jojothai gave you some good suggestions.

Wildlife watching (Kui Buri NP) is not at the park, but here:

KB wildlife

Use to be 900 baht for truck + 200 pp

https://www.huahinforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=28894&hilit=visiting+the+animals&start=15

You can also go whale watching, out of Ban Laem Phetchaburi, and saves going S from BKK on the gulf, or N from Cha Am, again, longer boat trips.

whale watching ?

Call to verify, season and if operating.  Never used, just a reference point to the area.  I've seen the signs as I looked for that elusive Spot Billed Pelican in the area ... unsuccessfully I might add ????

As mentioned, a few National Parks, west & surfside along that strip.

At PKK, Ao Manao for swimming, though use caution, and keep ears out of water.  Also at RTAF Wing 5/Ao Manao (need to sign in w/PP), over by museum area, may see the Dusky Leaf monkeys, though been a bit scarce of late.  Our photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1Je2zCWZtiASKcca6

Due avoid the monkeys around Wat Khao Chong Krachok, and carry nothing (plastic bags) that they might assume has food, or show any food, as they can be extremely aggressive.  Ignore them, and they will ignore you.   Nice views from atop the hill.  Been up there a few times, lots of steps, but not strenuous at all, and I'm 67 yrs old.

hilltop wat

Our snaps of:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7KHPvrnuR5MfD1Q03

We go here for a munch, 30-45min out of PKK town area:

munch

Not a fan of Bang Saphans, and personally wouldn't bother with those 2.

On the way to Chumphon, decent waterfall, free, and better than most they charge for.

Sai Khu

Ban Krut is a favorite;

Must stop on the way to Ban Krut, munch and or just beverage & pastry

Decent munch

Edited by KhunLA
  • Love It 1

5 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

jojothai gave you some good suggestions.

Wildlife watching (Kui Buri NP) is not at the park, but here:

KB wildlife

Use to be 900 baht for truck + 200 pp

https://www.huahinforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=28894&hilit=visiting+the+animals&start=15

You can also go whale watching, out of Ban Laem Phetchaburi, and saves going S from BKK on the gulf, or N from Cha Am, again, longer boat trips.

whale watching ?

Call to verify, season and if operating.  Never used, just a reference point to the area.  I've seen the signs as I looked for that elusive Spot Billed Pelican in the area ... unsuccessfully I might add ????

As mentioned, a few National Parks, west & surfside along that strip.

At PKK, Ao Manao for swimming, though use caution, and keep ears out of water.  Also at RTAF Wing 5/Ao Manao (need to sign in w/PP), over by museum area, may see the Dusky Leaf monkeys, though been a bit scarce of late.  Our photos:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/1Je2zCWZtiASKcca6

Due avoid the monkeys around Wat Khao Chong Krachok, and carry nothing (plastic bags) that they might assume has food, or show any food, as they can be extremely aggressive.  Ignore them, and they will ignore you.   Nice views from atop the hill.  Been up there a few times, lots of steps, but not strenuous at all, and I'm 67 yrs old.

hilltop wat

Our snaps of:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7KHPvrnuR5MfD1Q03

We go here for a munch, 30-45min out of PKK town area:

munch

Not a fan of Bang Saphans, and personally wouldn't bother with those 2.

On the way to Chumphon, decent waterfall, free, and better than most the charge for.

Sai Khu

Ban Krut is a favorite;

Must stop on the way to Ban Krut, munch and or just beverage & pastry

Decent munch

looks amazing