Jetstar...not Such A Bargain

bapak

I was considering using JetStar to send a relative from Bankok to Sydney and return (routing is via Melbourne).. Stay of about 3 weeks....

Travel was planned for March and the cheapest fare on JetStar is Baht 34,123 (including Taxes) .. and the passenger has to pay extra for food, drinks, etc.

Looking for an alternative, I can get Singapore Airlines BKK/SIN/SYD/SIN/BKK normal economy for Baht 27,870 (Online booking and with Taxes) and I believe Emirates is even cheaper.

Even Thai is lower then JetStar at Baht 27,890 ...

So would you go JetStar?

Enjoy, Bapak

Not if any of the other regular carriers that go direct are cheaper.

I have had Emirates Bkk Syd Bkk for 22,000 baht and a British Airways one for 28,000 for the same trip. Both direct and the BA one was a 12 Month ticket. Both served complimentary food and drinks too.

I would only go with Jetstar if 1. They were really cheaper all up including food and drinks and 2 if they went direct, hope that helps.

If you book early with Jetstar, they are without a doubt the cheapest. I am flying MEL to BKK return in early March for $751 AUD (~ 20,000 THB) but decided to pay an extra $92 for all the options (food/drinks, comfort pack & video on demand), so all up about 23,000 baht. I booked the ticket mid-January and I've noticed that closer to the date of flights, the more expensive their airfares become.

Just sticking up for Jetstar a bit here as I think the title to the thread is a little unfair.

i have previously looked into using jetstar and also found they are expensive. i have also tried booking well in advance but still find them expensive. i do not consider them to be a budget airline at all( merely budget service). on the one occasion i did fly with them (trans tasman) i was put on the flight as i missed my ticketed qantas flight, i was not impressed with the experience at all.big thumbs down to jetstar from me.

I have flown Jetstar's MEL - BKK route in Star Class and it was pitiful, no leg room, poor service, dead batteries in all their headsets, same old crappy movies on their handheld video units. I felt very sorry for those crammed into economy.

Seriously, there is little or NO money to be saved by flying with them.

If flying from Australia, have a sniff around at http://www.bestflights.com.au where for example, you can fly BNE - BKK economy with Thai air, and then return BKK - BNE in BUSINESS CLASS with Thai air for 36000 including taxes (departures up until March 29).

If you are prepared to look around, you will never need to endure the second rate services of Jetstar International (Australia).

PS This is no reflection on Jetstar Asia who I also used and found to be very reasonable.

Going to Thailand I use Thai direct to Bangkok.I have used Jetstar in Australia and had problems.Other relavites and friends also have had problems with Jetstar,afraid I cannot recomend them.

Best Wishes,

Mick

I was considering using JetStar to send a relative from Bankok to Sydney and return (routing is via Melbourne).. Stay of about 3 weeks....

Travel was planned for March and the cheapest fare on JetStar is Baht 34,123 (including Taxes) .. and the passenger has to pay extra for food, drinks, etc.

Looking for an alternative, I can get Singapore Airlines BKK/SIN/SYD/SIN/BKK normal economy for Baht 27,870 (Online booking and with Taxes) and I believe Emirates is even cheaper.

So would you go JetStar?

Enjoy, Bapak

I don't mind budget airlines on flights of one of two hours but Australia is a

9 to 10 hour flight so you want a bit of comfort. Even if Singapore Airlines

was the same price as Jetstar or even fractionally higher I would still choose them

even with the inconvenience of changing planes in Singapore.

with a cheapest ticket on Singapore it's and no contest :o

I don't mind budget airlines on flights of one of two hours but Australia is a

9 to 10 hour flight so you want a bit of comfort. Even if Singapore Airlines

was the same price as Jetstar or even fractionally higher I would still choose them

even with the inconvenience of changing planes in Singapore.

with a cheapest ticket on Singapore it's and no contest :o

I also looked at the fares on Jetstar from both Australia and Thailand when they started.

It is absolutely correct what is said previously. You ad the extras and it is the same price or dearer than the other major airlines. Also unless you are flying out of Melbourne or Sydney then the fares on the site to connect are top price. One must book them separately with Virgin or Jetstar, but then when you ad all that together you are paying over the odds for a second class ticket.

This is another con from Qantas who used to be a top airline with princile.

Also the same applies for the new service starting Sydney KL in September. Connecting flights must be added in Australia.

I agree with these comments for return flights but if u find yourself in a position where u need a one way flight to or from thailand /australia then there is no contest really. Jetstar sets up its pricing on single flights like all our domestic flights. All the international carriers have a massive one way surcharge or something which borders on ridiculous. In this situation Jetstar is fantastic.

So would you go JetStar?

Enjoy, Bapak

JetStar is not the cheapest for everyone as they are not targeting all passengers. They are targeting selected markets. For Aus to Thailand, they fly Sydney-Phuket and Melbourne-Bangkok so unless you are flying on these routes you are probably better to stick to a normal airline. You pay extra for the Syd-Melbourne domestic flight which doesn't make it worth it.

I think you are also at a price disadvantage if flying from Thailand because in my experience a normal return flight on a standard airline (Bkk-Syd-Bkk) is about 10% cheaper if booked in Thailand compared to one booked in Australia (Syd-Bkk-Syd). For Jetstar the price is the same, or at least it was when I checked, regardless of whether you are located in Australia or Thailand.

For JetStar the real advantage is more for people booking in Australia flying on their selected routes or those flying one way. If you are booking in Thailand and flying Bkk-Syd return then stick to Singapore or other airlines.

I am surprised by one commentator's complaint about seats as I was pleasantly surprised on how comfortable they were and I didn't notice any less legroom that on a normal carrier, but then again I thought their Star Class fares were over-priced with what you got. Video on demand was adequate, but the battery apparently only lasts 6 hours so be warned. The food though on my flight is overpriced so I would avoid it.

NOTE: They have a strict limit of 20 kgs so if you are carrying 30 kgs+ then you should also stick to a normal airline as the excess baggage costs are quite high.

I am surprised by one commentator's complaint about seats as I was pleasantly surprised on how comfortable they were and I didn't notice any less legroom that on a normal carrier, but then again I thought their Star Class fares were over-priced with what you got. Video on demand was adequate, but the battery apparently only lasts 6 hours so be warned. The food though on my flight is overpriced so I would avoid it.

NOTE: They have a strict limit of 20 kgs so if you are carrying 30 kgs+ then you should also stick to a normal airline as the excess baggage costs are quite high.

I agree, the Star Class seats WERE over-priced for what they were. If you had actually travelled Star Class, then you wouldn't have been at all surprised by my complaint about the complete LACK of leg room... Unless you're a child or a dwarf. :o

I agree, the Star Class seats WERE over-priced for what they were. If you had actually travelled Star Class, then you wouldn't have been at all surprised by my complaint about the complete LACK of leg room... Unless you're a child or a dwarf. :o

JR Texas to posters: Just an aside........I just flew from Macau to Bangkok on AirAsia. It was not expensive. But I ended up paying almost double the advertised price after all of the hidden charges were tacked on. So, buyer beware. Still, it was very inexpensive and got me to where I wanted to go.

On another note, I landed at the new airport..........I had no problems with it until leaving.....people tried to direct me to all of the Mercedes taxis out front. It smelled like a scam to me. I refused and finally found a basic taxi on the upper level (the arrival section).

Then I found out that it takes twice as long to get to my usual hotel in Bangkok......and at twice the taxi cost. I was not that happy with the new location.

I hope they tear it down and do it over again in some other place other than a swamp and in a location that is actually convenient. Here is an idea: Why not just renovate the old airport (duh! doh!).

JR Texas to posters: Just an aside........I just flew from Macau to Bangkok on AirAsia. It was not expensive. But I ended up paying almost double the advertised price after all of the hidden charges were tacked on. So, buyer beware. Still, it was very inexpensive and got me to where I wanted to go.

On another note, I landed at the new airport..........I had no problems with it until leaving.....people tried to direct me to all of the Mercedes taxis out front. It smelled like a scam to me. I refused and finally found a basic taxi on the upper level (the arrival section).

Then I found out that it takes twice as long to get to my usual hotel in Bangkok......and at twice the taxi cost. I was not that happy with the new location.

I hope they tear it down and do it over again in some other place other than a swamp and in a location that is actually convenient. Here is an idea: Why not just renovate the old airport (duh! doh!).

"low cost" airlines does not translate into low fare airlines. :o

from my experience, low cost means the costs are lower for the airline but still the same high fares as other airlines thereby giving the airline bigger margins. :D