Changing older USD banknotes to THB

Are there any money changers in Bangkok who will change older USD 100 banknotes i.e. the 2006 series, into Thai baht?  I understand some money changers will only accept the latest series.....but will any exchange older (but very good condition) USD banknotes?

8 hours ago, mstevens said:

Are there any money changers in Bangkok who will change older USD 100 banknotes i.e. the 2006 series, into Thai baht?  I understand some money changers will only accept the latest series.....but will any exchange older (but very good condition) USD banknotes?

Most clerks in currency exchanges will have strict, limited parameters on what they can accept and that would limit what they would accept to the current series. As UJ says, you might get lucky at the main office of one of the bigger banks where a clerk could check with more senior officers, but expect resistance or refusal.

You might keep an eye/hear open for American tourists who are heading back to the US who would be willing to exchange older dollars for the newer series or for Thai Bant.

I had the same problem .

But when I went to Europe for family visit, I took several old bills with me..tried to change them at Super rich at basement level Suvarnabhumi airport, no succes..Later tried SCB changer at departure hall, and they simply changed them in Thai baht... 

In May I brought back from the Us, my state income tax refund check and 30 - 100's to deposit in my BKK Bank account.  I went into the main branch in downtown Surin to the Foreign Currency desk on the 2nd level.  The clerk checked the bills and then handed one back. She pointed to a mark on Bens face that looked like part of a barcode. It was faint and less than 1/4" in length and half that in height and said, "Cannot take". I deposited the remaining bills and the check in my account. The exchange rate on the check was actually higher per dollar and was immediately credited to my account. I asked for 30,000 baht in cash. She counted out 30 -1000's and handed them back. I looked over the bills and pointed out the ones that were torn, with writing and pencil marks on them. The clerk just laughed and said "Thai money good". I took the 30,000 across the street and deposited it and the rejected 100 into my Kasikorn account. 

I used to believe only clean bills were accepted. But the best cash exchange store in BKK is SuperRich Thailand whose logo is the Green color (NOT SuperRich whose logo is the orange color) near centralworld. They accept worn bills and also have the best exchange rates. You have to bypass all the SuperRich with the orange colors in their name to get to SuperRich Thailand Green color but once you go green you will not go back to SuperRich Orange again. 

Vasu on soi 7 is also very good and better than SuperRich Orange but not as good as SuperRich Thailand Green. 

9 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You would stand a better chance of being able to exchange them at a major bank branch than at a money changer.

Love your advice and a fan of yours. But I have to disagree this time. The SuperRich Thailand Green color exchange store takes worn bills and also gives the best exchange rate. Best in BKK for exchange rates and ease of taking old worn bills and even those with some writing on them or tears. 

On 7/14/2018 at 4:09 PM, tontraveller said:

I had the same problem .

But when I went to Europe for family visit, I took several old bills with me..tried to change them at Super rich at basement level Suvarnabhumi airport, no succes..Later tried SCB changer at departure hall, and they simply changed them in Thai baht... 

Where is this located at.. ? I need this service. 

Archived