Should we paint a primer on new plasterboard

davidst01

We are renovating a new building and the new gyprock/ plasterboard has been installed for the consulting rooms. They also replaced some of the ceilings. 

The painters started the ceilings yesterday with the 1st coat of Dulux ceiling paint. He put a 2nd coat on one section before going home. Today its still showing streaks and doesnt look that great. 

Before they start the walls I wanted to clarify if they actually should have put a primer on as the first coat? ie on new ceilings and walls. Its obviously too late now for the ceilings but should I insist that they paint a primer first OR is it ok to just put 3 coats of the base paint?

Some of the walls are concrete and they have that liquid masonary solution that they will roll on the surfaces before painting it. They suggested that they could put this on the new plasterboard but I said no. 

Thanks for any advice on this

No warranty implied or inferred.

Our contractor used a heavily (more even than Thai normal) thinned coat of the regular paint followed by 2 coats of the (nearly) unthinned colour. Five years on it's still just fine. 

Some good advice running throughout this thread
Check the paint label first, are the manufacturers instructions being followed?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1042252-quality-of-thai-paint/&share_tid=1042252&share_fid=29570&share_type=t

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As said above, always use a primer. It has the job of sealing the plasterboard as well as making a "key" for the top coats to stick to. Plasterboard is very porous and if it is not primed / sealed, it will suck moisture from the paint and the ramifications can be unsatisfactory.

Paint can flake off or urn powdery in extreme cases. It is a pain to try and fix if it does happen, too. But really that usually gets bad when the paint has been sprayed on and not rolled afterwards.

The other important thing to do with plasterboard is to wait about a week after it has been set to allow the joints to dry properly. It is not the end of the world if you don't but it is always best to wait if you can.

A primer often can be a watered down top coat at a pinch, but there are specific primers out there for the task. Go to your Local Thai Watsudu or Berger shop and they will head you in the right direction.

In summary, it is not ideal and in some instances may lead to some issues but definately have the tradesperson prime the rest of the bare plasterboard before top coats go on.

Was that the premium grade of Delux or something down the line?  Sadly, the lower grade paint, no matter what the brand, is meant for places that will never be seen and a primer should help but not necessarily.  Rendered walls must be primed.

1 hour ago, bankruatsteve said:

Was that the premium grade of Delux or something down the line?  Sadly, the lower grade paint, no matter what the brand, is meant for places that will never be seen and a primer should help but not necessarily.  Rendered walls must be primed.

we just visited homepro and the premium grade delux was sold out. the next one below was the same price. It should still be ok yes? Or are you saying its a low grade paint?

Just now, davidst01 said:

we just visited homepro and the premium grade delux was sold out. the next one below was the same price. It should still be ok yes? Or are you saying its a low grade paint?

My experience is that price usually correlates to the grade but I also know that ALL the name brands have good stuff and crap stuff.  A simple test is that if it smells like paint, it's not the premium grade (where most are odorless or with a very slight smell).

Another thing to bear in mind, you roll your first brilliant white acrylic coat on the unprimed ceiling and then the next day you are eager to get that 2nd coat on.

Chances are your roller will pull the first coat back off leaving that one coat ridge for evermore on your ceiling to remind you how sloppy you were not mist coating first.

one of my learning experiences!

• Like 1