Tourist visa

Just a quick question I did have a o/a retirement visa for a few years but had to return to Australia for health reasons. Got my aged pension now served my 2 year travel ban and I am good for wheels up. So am leaving 27 October returning 26 November. Question is do I need a tourist visa? I don’t think I do but some people are saying I do.

If you enter Thailand on 27th Oct, without a Visa, you'll receive a 30 day Visa exempt entry until 25th Nov.

Leaving on 26th Nov, you'll have overstayed by 1 day.

Edited by Tanoshi

If you plan on a applying for a 90 day immigrant visa (category O) entry at immigration in order to apply for an extension based upon retirement a 60 day entry would be best since you must have at least 15 days (or 21 days at some office) remaining on your entry to apply for the visa.

If you enter and get a 30 day visa exempt entry you would only have 15 days to prepare for application unless you apply for a 30 day extension of it (1900 baht). Also if you don't have a visa you may need a return or onward ticket out of the country within 30 days of arrival to board your flight to here.

3 hours ago, maccastime said:

Thanks for the info tanoshi yes will show my return ticket and will have sufficient cash. Thanks again. Have a great day

You won’t be asked to show cash unless they are looking at possibly denying entry, and there’s no reason why they’d do that. If they do the requirement is 10K baht or foreign currency equivalent.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, elviajero said:

You won’t be asked to show cash unless they are looking at possibly denying entry, and there’s no reason why they’d do that. If they do the requirement is 10K baht or foreign currency equivalent.

Ok thanks they will probably get confused as they notice my o/a visa which expired 2 years ago. So could be a wait at passport control

2 hours ago, maccastime said:

Ok thanks they will probably get confused as they notice my o/a visa which expired 2 years ago. So could be a wait at passport control

99% probability, everything will go smoothly, but it is as well to be a little paranoid when dealing with immigration.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, maccastime said:

Nothing to worry about. They will routinely flick through a passport, but an expired 'O-A' visa will not interest them. They will usually only show interest in passed visa exempt entries when you are entering without a visa, and they only do that to check if someone is 'overusing' the visa exempt scheme, which you clearly are not.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, elviajero said:

I stand corrected. The financial requirement (if requested) is indeed 10K per person, or 20K for a family.

The financial requirement for a TV is 20K per person, or 40K for a family.