Television Ker-fuffle

Gonzo the Face

Having been out of things for the past month, I return to find that they have done something with the free-to-air TV signal.  Now you are supposed to buy some kind of box or something.  Now not talking about cable but rather the aerial/antenna  type of reception.  Can't seem to get any answers.  Can anyone out there write some information?  Thanks Heaps

Gonzo

Perhaps a bit longer than a month - Thailand converted to digital TV system a year ago and provided vouchers to buy digital tuners for TV sets to receive over the air (OTA) broadcasts.  Indeed you probably need a box for this if you never converted.  They are not very expensive even without voucher.  Believe they have ceased analog transmissions in most areas now so if you want OTA you will need or change TV set to one that has built in.

• Like 1

It's a great opportunity  to upgrade your telly, and discover amazing free apps like Kodi etc to use with it (YouTube explains all).  

If that's all too hard then  

Netflix costs just B280 a month for all the content you'd ever want and comes with full thai subtitles and instructions for the Mrs. and English ones too if you're half-deaf like me.   

Should also point out that digital TV means you can use your Wi-Fi or plug a PC type cable from your router into your 'smart' TV to get all the usual channels free to air channels and more,  just search for them on google. You search the internet directly on your TV. 

Edited by Small Joke
  • Like 1

I don't know exactly when the analog broadcast has been ceased.

But the offer for digital set-top boxes was "years" ago.

It runs under the keyword "DVB-T2".

Wiki says introduced (started) in 2014 in Thailand.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVB-T2

Here in upcountry (villages) it's almost irrelevant.

Digital satellite reception since "ages".

And I think the DVB signal/coverage is just too bad in our area.

23 hours ago, Small Joke said:

Netflix costs just B280 a month for all the content you'd ever want and comes with full thai subtitles and instructions for the Mrs. and English ones too ...

A lot of the content an expat here might want to watch on NetFlix, or Amazon Prime, will not be available unless you use a VPN.

~o:37;