Repairs to an old clock

pogpog

On 7/21/2018 at 1:42 PM, Trujillo said:

The problem with this watch repair is that they have no old parts and are totally unwilling to either order them or make them. I've tried. 

That's not true. They have large stocks of old parts at their facility in Bangkok.

I've been doing business with them for 12 years now. They have repaired perhaps 30 different old Swiss watches and travel clocks for me. Just last month I took a 98 year old Swiss watch to them that doesn't work at all. The younger guy who is really the Master was not there and I got the impression that he may not be there anymore. So I dealt with the older horologist who is not particularly friendly. But he took the watch to look over, and called me 2 weeks later and said that it needed 3 or 4 parts that were not usable. He said that he had already contacted his sources in Switzerland, and had located all of the parts. He wants about 8K Baht to repair the watch which I have so far, not agreed to. For more common brands like Omega, Tissot and so forth, they have huge stocks of vintage parts at their facility in Bangkok.

The only thing I was not happy with was the one time I had them repaint the face of a very old watch. It was not nearly as good as I had expected. There were some wrinkles and imperfections, the shade of white was far too bright, and it cost a lot of money and took months. Everything else - I have been 100% satisfied.

I've got my Grandad's old pocket watch from the First World War; it doesn't work although otherwise it's in very good condition and i would love to get it repaired if possible.   Anyone seen this shop tackle old pocket watches ?

49 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

I've got my Grandad's old pocket watch from the First World War; it doesn't work although otherwise it's in very good condition and i would love to get it repaired if possible.   Anyone seen this shop tackle old pocket watches ?

Yes.