Thai Mental Health Dept Alcoholism Centre: How to kick the alcohol habit

webfact

4 hours ago, tryasimight said:

Hahaha..... Good one. 

Ye of little faith.

That was my job. You beg and borrow to get monies to set these services up on a shoestring and then get them going. I turned a $100K service into $500K in 3 years increased bed size from 7 to 23. It is now a $2 million plus service. Just hard work. That is how it is done in the practice of community services. And I bet I saved your cat from being raped and your computer being stolen. ?

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, hashmodha said:

I agree with this being a non drinker.... these people come to my beaches on pickups and get faceless, since when did our Thailand begin keeping data of how seriously is a drinking problems here together with all the other additives....most of them are masked and never reach the Re-hab territories!!

Much more to life than being wasted!

I'll drink to that.

14 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

Don't worry, most will just buy a couple of extra bottles of whiskey the day before to bridge the "no alcohol sales" period and continue happily.

Or go to the grocery next door instead of 7/11...:clap2::licklips:

During the 3-4 days into the withdrawal, one could also suffer from confusion, delirium, seeing or hearing things other people do not, or seizures

Sounds serious. I'll open a cold one to make sure I'm safe.

12 hours ago, Chris Lawrence said:

Give funding to a advertising campaign. Set up detoxes. More community services. What effect is it happening on the family nucleus. Dr Bob' wisdom has helped millions world wide. 12 step programs. Reduce alcohol content in beer. Make higher tax for higher strength beer with money channelled back into the community. Identify which communities are more likely to suffer. Time.

Buy malted barley and hops. Add water and boil. Cool down and bottle. Enjoy. 

Shall we put up a poll which one is more popular?

Thailand is the 5th most total volume country of alcohol consumed on the planet...

one can can go to WHO to find alcohol rates and other addictions...

that 1.8% is absolute BS...Thai adult males are 20-25% and adult females 5-8%....google it yourself....

Edited by cardinalblue
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Buy malted barley and hops. Add water and boil. Cool down and bottle. Enjoy. 

Shall we put up a poll which one is more popular?

We had a 60-70% success rate with recidivism about 3-8 times on average. You never gave up on a person. I am still in contact with people who went thru the program and still clean over 30 years later. Right people right place at the right time, that is how you get people clean. Cree Indian Circa 1990.

I still have a T-shirt bought for me at Christmas by a young south American lad, he was 21. 3 months latter he died of an overdose. Have you ever looked into the eyes of a Father who just lost there son, saying thank you for what we did to help his son. Have you ever sat down and heard how a relative raped a young boy turned into a man with a heroin addiction bonded from goal. Have you counselled a woman who was abducted by a serial killer, escaped and was the prime witness in him convicted; she developed bulimia and a drug problem. Or counselled a girl who was raped by 12 men. Or a person after being threatened by a guy with a gun, go home get his gun comes back and kill the guy. Do you want to hear more. The saddest and most recent was a fellow that hung himself outside his parents house, and even still alive his father left him till the police came.

People don't take drugs because life is a cop out. Usually it follows a very tragic and dramatic event. That is what you look for and that is what you try and guide them out of.

Have you ever seen the glow of a 6 year old holding hands with their Dad after years of not being there. It made me cry. 17 years later that man is still clean.

You are living in a fantasy world my son.

4 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Poor old Nan, she drank a bottle of OP rum a day. Went into hospital for a gastro bug and died of a heart attack 2 days latter. She was too embarrassed to say what she lived on. OP rum and milk, nothing else. She was 63. That's what alcohol does to the body. Sends the blood pressure up when you don't get it. But there for the grace go you.

18 hours ago, Mangkhut said:

Alcohol is in fact the only drug you have to make excuses not to consume. Think about that.....

That's because it's legal and part of the fabric of normal society. Cigarettes were actually the same a few decades ago. 

Alcohol could not be easy to avoid because it is every where, in super markets and restaurants etc.

I would suggest not to quit insistently, rather than controlling your habit drinking less like 3 or 5 beers a day and see where you can go from there. Good luck.

7 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

That's because it's legal and part of the fabric of normal society. Cigarettes were actually the same a few decades ago. 

Legal with many restrictions and some places totally banned. 

Anyhow - does it make it any different? In my opinion it makes it much worse...

16 hours ago, DrTuner said:

That's as funny as the twit from some Medical department said...if too much water was drunk quickly in the hot weather,one would get withdrawal symptoms and loose body salt and dehydrate...I fell off my hammock reading that!!