Marriage And Visa

greekgirl

Hello!

I gonna marry my thai boyfriend and move to Thailand. First I want to ask what visa can I get, must I go out of Thailand every 3 months? And how much does it cost? and must I have much money in the bank to marry ? Please tell what you know about this, and how you think it´s like to live in Thailand, in the begining we stay in Phuket, he works there.

You need to apply for a non-immigrant visa from outside the country. Once you are inside the country and you are married you can apply for a one year extension to your visa. This visa costs 1900 baht a year. I have been told there are no income requirements (this would be your husband's responsibility to show as he is the one who is supposed to take care of you) however, we have always been required to show copies of our bank accounts. Once you are in Thailand on a non-immigrant visa go to your local immigration office and find out what their requirements are as it seems to vary from office to office. Good luck!

You need to apply for a non-immigrant visa from outside the country. Once you are inside the country and you are married you can apply for a one year extension to your visa. This visa costs 1900 baht a year. I have been told there are no income requirements (this would be your husband's responsibility to show as he is the one who is supposed to take care of you) however, we have always been required to show copies of our bank accounts. Once you are in Thailand on a non-immigrant visa go to your local immigration office and find out what their requirements are as it seems to vary from office to office. Good luck!

thank you! do I need to go out of Thailand every 3 months?

thank you! do I need to go out of Thailand every 3 months?

After you are legally married, you can get one year extensions of that visa acquired abroad. Good luck.

The one year extension means you only have to reapply for your extension every year at your local immigration office. You do not have to leave the country at all. And if you do you need to get a re-entry permit in order to keep your visa and extension. I only get one re-entry permit a year as I only ever leave the country once a year but if you planned on travelling more you would need to get a multiple entry re-entry permit.

However, you can only get the one year extension after you are married. You can get the non-immigrant visa without being married (although it is probably easier if you are) and then get married here in Thailand and then apply for the one year extension. Let me know if you need any further info, I've been doing this for a long time :o

The one year extension means you only have to reapply for your extension every year at your local immigration office. You do not have to leave the country at all. And if you do you need to get a re-entry permit in order to keep your visa and extension. I only get one re-entry permit a year as I only ever leave the country once a year but if you planned on travelling more you would need to get a multiple entry re-entry permit.

However, you can only get the one year extension after you are married. You can get the non-immigrant visa without being married (although it is probably easier if you are) and then get married here in Thailand and then apply for the one year extension. Let me know if you need any further info, I've been doing this for a long time :o

thank you!

yes I gonna travel to Sweden 2-3 months 1 time/year. so then I must have re-entry? i ask that when I go to immigration and get my non-immigrant visa?

You need to get your non-immigration visa at an embassy outside Thailand. Once you have the non-immigrant visa you can apply for the one year extension at immigration.

Reading this exchange has been real helpful to me and my upcoming marriage (October or earlier if I land the job in BKK).

Question though: B/F's bank account is pretty low in baht, to say the least. Are they looking for a certain level of finances/activity in either his account or a joint account, or mine (I will maintain a separate foreign account in my name and try to open a Thai account). If his account is "poor" but he (thru his momma) can still take care of me (which I know he/they can), would immigration then look to me for the "supporting" money?

Hopefully that question makes sense.

I am getting the visa requirements under control, thanks to reading the forum, just working my way around finance requirements.

Cheers,

Sassie

Sassie, your guess is as good as mine. We have always had a healthy bank account so I wouldn't really know the answer. Let me tell you the financial supporting documents we have produced: photocopy of bank book (never told us a minimum tho) and a copy of my husband's business license. Our bank account is joint but I suspect a copy of yours woudn't hurt. Your best bet would be to ask the Immigration officer who will process your extension application what they require.