Raise the Phoenix efforts still going ahead, assures Phuket Tourist Police chief

snoop1130

Raise the Phoenix efforts still going ahead, assures Phuket Tourist Police chief

By Sirapisit Bunchoocheep

1532341754_1-org.jpg

Thai Navy divers prepare to submerge in the effort to recover the last body from under the Phoenix last week. Since the last body was recovered, no news has been forthcoming about promised efforts to raise the tour boat for investigation. Photo: PR Dept / file

PHUKET:-- The chief of the Phuket Tourist Police today confirmed that efforts to raise the Phoenix tour boat are still continuing, despite lengthy delays in organising the equipment needed to float the large tour boat from its resting place 1.5 nautical miles off Koh Hei (Coral Island), south of Phuket.

The Phoenix sank in a strong storm squall late in the afternoon of July 5. Of the 89 tourists on board, 47 died in the disaster. All those killed and injured in the calamity were tourists from China.

The boat now rests at a depth of about 45 metres.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-tourist-police-chief-assures-efforts-to-raise-the-phoenix-still-going-ahead-67989.php#dyrSMvWhSxlQuXWw.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2018-7-23

How many guys here think this will take the same route as the watch investigation. They will need more time and then need more time because they must gather all the info. A few months  from now it will just be forgotten.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

How many guys here think this will take the same route as the watch investigation. They will need more time and then need more time because they must gather all the info. A few months  from now it will just be forgotten.

I'd bet the other way since there's a good chance the Phoenix will be bringing in revenue under a different name, within a few months...  Or maybe sold into a different country in SEA for the tourism trade.

12 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

I know I don't. It will be raised.

It has sunk before, sunk again, and ???.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Just curious if any one knows what is going on with this. Did not think it good to start a new thread about it so went to this one.

This thread started 23 july so has been a while. I think if it was raised it would be news huh.

On 8/27/2018 at 6:40 AM, stevenl said:

AFAIK they're still working on it.

They're working on it again, I think this Saturday it will be raised. The talk is the 'company' tasked with the raising has been given a deadline.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2018 at 9:52 AM, stevenl said:

They're working on it again, I think this Saturday it will be raised. The talk is the 'company' tasked with the raising has been given a deadline.

Steven I like your optimism but another 10 days have passed since this post.

I think we can soon call the Phoenix and artificial reef and leave it at that. Maybe even place it on the charts.for safe navigation.

12 hours ago, lovelomsak said:

Steven I like your optimism but another 10 days have passed since this post.

I think we can soon call the Phoenix and artificial reef and leave it at that. Maybe even place it on the charts.for safe navigation.

They're still working on it.

• 3 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, lovelomsak said:

It has been 2 months now are you still optimistic it will be raised. I think my first post in this thread is coming closer to reality with each passing day. 

Yes, I think it will be raised. 

This job has gone passed the point of no return. 

To just salvage the equipment used to salvage the wreck would mean it would be better to continue on until completion. 

Of course, that was the whole plan from the start.  Use the maximum time, effort, and equipment, for the maximum cost. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

Where is the Phoenix now?  Have they managed to lose it in very deep water yet?

All the fuss over Chinese tourism and how valuable raising the Phoenix would be to the investigation in order to improve tourist safety and deal with the wrong doers.

The way I read it is, assets were seized a salvage budget has been pillaged, is there anything left to bother with?

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Where is the Phoenix now?  Have they managed to lose it in very deep water yet?

Still where it was. An attempt to pull it to shallower waters failed, every day divers going in to put floating devices in.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, pattayadgw said:

Just what do they need the vessel raised for?? has anyone read what raising the vessel is going to give them other than what is now known?  sorry i just don't get it?????

They still have money in the budget, so still can make a big part of that.

16 hours ago, pattayadgw said:

Can anyone tell me why they are wanting to raise this vessel?? what is it going to achieve???

"what is it going to achieve???" - it's going to show the world what Thai ingenuity, and a few 44 gallon drums, are capable of.  ????

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

I heard on good authority this week that certain people are allegedly trying very hard not to have this vessel salvaged, the suggestion being that implicating evidence will be very damaging. I can't say any more.

I don't believe that, I would have heard if that were the case.

IMO simply a matter of having a budget allocated, and the longer it takes the better it is for all involved.

11 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I don't believe that, I would have heard if that were the case.

IMO simply a matter of having a budget allocated, and the longer it takes the better it is for all involved.

That could of course be one way of interpreting what I was told!