I'll Take Natural Food Over Thai Food

brahmburgers

I know this won't change anything, and also know I'm in the minority here, but Thai food has many drawbacks in my view. Take omelets, for example: A Thai omelet is usually two eggs swished around in a large pool of hot oil - there may be a little bit of pork, raw onion or tomato added. When I make an omelet, it tastes like egg not like singed oil - and I vary the ingredients with ample amounts of sweet pepper, tuna, shallots, red onion, cherry tomato (tastier than other tomatos), and tofu and whatever is at hand at the time.

Every time I go to join a gathering of Thai friends for food - there are always mumerous dishes spread around - very colorful. However, most of the food too spicy (even for them!) much of it is inedible. With a few exceptions (maybe a bit of cucumber or one leaf of lettuce) it's all highly cooked and heavily seasoned - certainly not near as healthy as lightly cooked, natural foods. I doubt one cooked dish doesn't have at least one fermented ingredient. And sauce is not a choice, it's loaded on (or mixed in) whether one wants it or not. Busy busy busy and not fresh - nor is there much (or any) concern in Thai cooking for organic. Oh, and thai meals always have LOTS and LOTS of left-overs. Not so in my house. Everything that's prepared is eaten.

Some people think herbs are somehow exotic (the more the better) - but in reality, most herbs aggravate the digestive tract - and can easily be overdone. Plus, why continually disguise the taste of the basic food ingredients? Which brings us back to the initial example (the omelet) ....has a Thai person ever tasted a cooked egg ....unaldulteraded, unseasoned, not drowned in oil? The same question could be asked about nearly any other natural ingredient in Thai cuisine. I miss Mexican.

I found this a really interesting post.... until I read the last sentence. Mexican food is one of the worst forms of cuisine that I have ever tasted, even when cooked by a real live Mexican. I thought Russian food was bad..... and then I had Mexican.

granted, Mexican is not so very natural, and they're only a bit better than Thais when it comes to salads. ...but chances are you'll get beans, corn, rice, avocado that aren't steeped in a dozen disguises. If you've ever had fresh salsa, then you know how nice tomatoes, peppers, garlic and cilantro and lemon joice can taste together. The closest thing to salsa you'll find in Thailand is a somewhat fermented sauce with lots of sugar and salt added (and possibly corn syrup). Indeed, it's rare to find a Thai dish with too much salt or sugar added.

Over the next twenty years, I predict Thais will slowly come to appreciate avocados. I have a subjective interest in the matter, because I've planted 50 trees on my land in northern Thailand - but mainly because avos are a great fruit. Filipinos and Burmese already know that - but for Thais, avos are still too strange.

I sympathize. I have spent large portions of my adult life as either a vegetarian or a semi-vegetarian "health food' nut. Just my luck to marry a guy who thinks Wonder bread is the zenith of the breadmaking art, and that canned peas taste better than frozen peas.

I have seen some organic products imported from the US both in BKK and here in Korat. I just bought some wonderful muesli that had raw oatmeal and assorted nuts and fruits, no added sweetener needed. I have seen organic instant oatmeal, all kinds of organic snack bars, and organic corn bread mix. You just have to buy what you see when you see it as it likely won't be around for long.

Thai cooking is based on a balance of salt, sweet, sour, and heat. Western cooking is based more on spices and herbs to accent or disguise the flavor of the food. Remember that in Western countries the art of seasoning food goes back to the days of covering up the taste of spoiling meat. I don't know the origin of food seasoning in Asian cooking, but I suspect it is similar.

I sympathize. I have spent large portions of my adult life as either a vegetarian or a semi-vegetarian "health food' nut. Just my luck to marry a guy who thinks Wonder bread is the zenith of the breadmaking art, and that canned peas taste better than frozen peas.

I have seen some organic products imported from the US both in BKK and here in Korat. I just bought some wonderful muesli that had raw oatmeal and assorted nuts and fruits, no added sweetener needed. I have seen organic instant oatmeal, all kinds of organic snack bars, and organic corn bread mix. You just have to buy what you see when you see it as it likely won't be around for long.

Thai cooking is based on a balance of salt, sweet, sour, and heat. Western cooking is based more on spices and herbs to accent or disguise the flavor of the food. Remember that in Western countries the art of seasoning food goes back to the days of covering up the taste of spoiling meat. I don't know the origin of food seasoning in Asian cooking, but I suspect it is similar.

A wonderful canard, but a canard nonetheless. Spoiled meat = illness, or if done properly in the olden days with no doctor/chemists, death. I think you'll find that spices and herbs were/are used to enhance the flavour, not disguise the taste of food that may kill. Nothing against veg-heads, semi veg-heads or anyone really, but don't talk rubbish.

Heat? What do Thais know about heat? They've only had chillies for a couple of hundred years (less time than the Brits!!!!). Gosh! Whatever did they do before that? Pepper? And how about a nice brace of three week old pheasants with maggots crawling out of them? Mmmmmmm lovely. (Well, actually, that makes me puke, but I know people who enjoy them ...)

:D

Here's a thought: maybe someone ought to write a cookbook on using natural foods for cooking Thai style meals.

I'm sure that good natural and even organic items are available in Thailand (yeah, it's not easy to find them, but if you search it must be possible to find some).

Surely it must be possible to to cook Thai food that's healthy and also good tasting.

I think it just needs someone to get the idea started.

:o

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Look, this is more about class than it is about Thai food in general. It isn't all covered in chemicals and oil. But first off realize, Thai cuisine is not about minimalism. If that's what you like, than great, seek it out or do it yourself. But to wonder when Thais will stop making their food spicy and saucy and sweet and sour and salty with fermented things in it..... you're asking Thais to stop making Thai cuisine !!! A little ridiculous and even imperialist at that.

For natural foods you just have to order right or seek people who are into natural foods. Many Thai people of the more modern circles will decry too much oil, and old oil in their food just as you do. Many Thais in the big city don't think street food is clean or good for you. They want wholesome and natural foods like you do.

Another group I encounter is those rural Thais who know ripe, seasonal foods that may only need some naam jim to add to a fresh roasted fish, and who eat steamed sweet potatoes, and plenty of fresh picked herbs and greens with their food as they do in the North and Isaan. It's out there, you can't generalize like you're the only one. Just the same as in the US, the poorer, less informed people eat crap and processed food. At the same time, the educated ones or those still out on the farm insist on natural and clean food.

I get your point about bad oil being re-used. I'll grant you that one. But really, back to heat, and spices, maybe for you that stuff isn't good. But this is the heart of Thai cuisine you are maligning. Millions of people here and world wide would disagree with you.

And to echo another person's comments - balance is key. Balance. And not being uptight. That's gonna give you cancer sure as any bad food will.

Here is something for us to think about.The people that we know and they know will not buy vegatables if there are no bugs on them that are eating the vegatables or have been.Why you ask?Because to them that tells them that chemicals are on them or used to grow the vegatables.As to eggs, I have seen very few people in and around our moo ban cook eggs in a lot of oil.They prefer them boiled.But they do seem to love to deep fry sausages,fish balls and any number of things.But when it comes to eating they eat very little of the fried "meats" and much vegatable and rice.Chicken and fish are the prefered meat.Mostly grilled or boiled not fried.Oh this is in rural Isaan.

Just what is a natural food?

I belive that a cricket is a natural food but many people would say otherwise.

I lived in Mexico several years and found the diet excessively heavy and much greasier than Thai, with far less use of fresh ingredients in the everyday cuisine, even in restaurants. When I lived in Mexico I gained weight rapidly, while in Thailand I tend to maintain optimum weight almost effortlessly.

Don't know whether the differing diets explain it, but I've noticed the rate of obesity in Mexico appears to be much higher than it is in Thailand, and in fact much higher than in most other countries I've visited.

Just saying, I will always prefer Thai to Mexican, and can't figure how anyone into healthy eating could prefer Mexican ... :o

• 3 weeks later...

I like Thai and Mexican foods although both are far from the ideal natural foods. If someone were to cook either and not use the ingredients called for, then they would be altering that food and could not call it real Thai or Mexican. I suggest going Vegan if all you want out of your food is natural.

I've found that a daily intake of a dozen fresh corn tortillas helps with bowel movements...maybe that was behind the recent uproar in Mexico over the increase of the price ob tortillas, en masse constipation with local indigenous politicians that are fulla shit... :o

Just saying, I will always prefer Thai to Mexican, and can't figure how anyone into healthy eating could prefer Mexican ... :D

Because, Mexican tastes so much better! :D

Mexican food tastes better than Thai? :o Wow, that's new to me.

Ever been to Mission Street in San Francisco? :D

Just saying, I will always prefer Thai to Mexican, and can't figure how anyone into healthy eating could prefer Mexican ... :D

Because, Mexican tastes so much better! :D

Mexican food tastes better than Thai? :D Wow, that's new to me.

don't waste yer breath, UG, mexican cuisine has a tradition extending hundreds ob years before thais ever heard about chiles...yeah, yeah, I can hear the flaming now 'go back ta East LA ye miserable bastid...' :o

Just saying, I will always prefer Thai to Mexican, and can't figure how anyone into healthy eating could prefer Mexican ... :bah:

Because, Mexican tastes so much better! :o

don't waste yer breath, UG, mexican cuisine has a tradition extending hundreds ob years before thais ever heard about chiles...yeah, yeah, I can hear the flaming now 'go back ta East LA ye miserable bastid...' :D

Ad antiquitatem. Thai cuisine is arguably older anyway. :o

I lived in Mexico several years, eventually travelling to all 26 states. I loved Mexican food until I was exposed to it every day. Amazing lack of variety in the cuisine, compared to Thai. And most towns in Mexico have only three eating-out choices: Mexican, Italian and Chinese. The latter two were so dismal I'd usually eat Mexican by default.

Mexico City would be an excellent place for tutsi and UG. Here's a city of 20 million -- one of the three largest cities in the world -- and yet there's not a single Thai restaurant, only two Indian restaurants and a sprinkling of Japanese. Otherwise it's all Mexican (the best anywhere), bad Italian and bad Chinese.

I notice pretty much the only expats in Thailand who are fond of heavy, cheesy, flatulence-invoking Mexican food are the yanks. Americans and Mexicans both like heavy food, and favour huge portions. The rate of obesity in Mexico must be just about on par with the US. If I had to judge just on visuals, I'd say the obesity rate must be even higher in Mexico.

Putting Mexican cuisine in global perspective, it has never made any gourmet's or food critic's list of top 5 world cuisines. Thai often does.

Just about every other nationality abhors Mexican food. Graham Greene famously wrote on Mexican cuisine in The Lawless Roads, wish I could find the quote, but it was a typical non-American appraisal. 'Masses of stinking green and brown' or somethng to that effect. I remember feeling shocked when I read it as a teenager. Definitely over the top, but not an uncommon reaction. Not unlike the way some TVers write bash Thai food. :D No accounting for taste, etc.

Mexico didn't completely ruin my taste for Mexican food and I still like to eat Mexican once in awhile, but as a daily diet it doesn't have either the variety or complexity of Thai IMO (not to mention lightness and digestibility). I wish there were a decent Mexican restaurant in Thailand. :bah: Miguel's had a lot of potential but didn't quite make it.

But personal taste isn't science, and you can't reason with someone else's palate. Enjoy your Mexican food when you can find it!

BTW the chicken tacos served at the vendor cart in front of Bebop in Pai around midnight are excellent. It's owned and run by a woman from Texas who makes her own fresh flour tortillas on the spot. Not technically a taco since they don't use corn tortillas, but better than any of Miguel's non-tacos.

Just saying, I will always prefer Thai to Mexican, and can't figure how anyone into healthy eating could prefer Mexican ... :o

Because, Mexican tastes so much better! ;)

Ever been to Mission Street in San Francisco? :bah:

don't waste yer breath, UG, mexican cuisine has a tradition extending hundreds ob years before thais ever heard about chiles...yeah, yeah, I can hear the flaming now 'go back ta East LA ye miserable bastid...' :D

Ad antiquitatem. Thai cuisine is arguably older anyway. :o

I lived in Mexico several years, eventually travelling to all 26 states. I loved Mexican food until I was exposed to it every day. Amazing lack of variety in the cuisine, compared to Thai. And most towns in Mexico have only three eating-out choices: Mexican, Italian and Chinese. The latter two were so dismal I'd usually eat Mexican by default.

Mexico City would be an excellent place for tutsi and UG. Here's a city of 20 million -- one of the three largest cities in the world -- and yet there's not a single Thai restaurant, only two Indian restaurants and a sprinkling of Japanese. Otherwise it's all Mexican (the best anywhere), bad Italian and bad Chinese.

I notice pretty much the only expats in Thailand who are fond of heavy, cheesy, flatulence-invoking Mexican food are the yanks. Americans and Mexicans both like heavy food, and favour huge portions. The rate of obesity in Mexico must be just about on par with the US. If I had to judge just on visuals, I'd say the obesity rate must be even higher in Mexico.

Putting Mexican cuisine in global perspective, it has never made any gourmet's or food critic's list of top 5 world cuisines. Thai often does.

Just about every other nationality abhors Mexican food. Graham Greene famously wrote on Mexican cuisine in The Lawless Roads, wish I could find the quote, but it was a typical non-American appraisal. 'Masses of stinking green and brown' or somethng to that effect. I remember feeling shocked when I read it as a teenager. Definitely over the top, but not an uncommon reaction. Not unlike the way some TVers write bash Thai food. :D No accounting for taste, etc.

Mexico didn't completely ruin my taste for Mexican food and I still like to eat Mexican once in awhile, but as a daily diet it doesn't have either the variety or complexity of Thai IMO (not to mention lightness and digestibility). I wish there were a decent Mexican restaurant in Thailand. :bah: Miguel's had a lot of potential but didn't quite make it.

But personal taste isn't science, and you can't reason with someone else's palate. Enjoy your Mexican food when you can find it!

BTW the chicken tacos served at the vendor cart in front of Bebop in Pai around midnight are excellent. It's owned and run by a woman from Texas who makes her own fresh flour tortillas on the spot. Not technically a taco since they don't use corn tortillas, but better than any of Miguel's non-tacos.

I spent 2 weeks in D.F. an' went gloriously apeshit...wonderful street food (although I did get sick briefly, like fer 2 hours) and especially the set lunch menus...caldo, pavo en mole and postre fer about a dollar...

believe I'd rather have mexican food everyday and be bored than to have thai food around that I can't eat because it either stinks of nam pla or is too hot or any combination of the two... :D

believe I'd rather have mexican food everyday and be bored than to have thai food around that I can't eat because it either stinks of nam pla or is too hot or any combination of the two... :o

Make that you, me and most of the population of California! :D