Retirement ext financial requirements increase

15 hours ago, New beginnings said:

Hi - I’m currently within the 90 day seasoning period for renewing my retirement extension in October based on 800k baht. Should I be worried? Should I take plunge and apply for Elite Visa? Will Elite Visa provide 5 years from end of current permission to stay?

I'm going to assume that you have asked a serious question.

Answer: Don't change a thing. Continue on the way you are going now. This is all just a "somebody told me" rumour.

Have a wonderful brunch and enjoy your day.

• Like 1

As the OP, please let me very strongly say that I am not a fan of spreading rumours. The immigration booth I am talking of is the big one located after the immigration desks on the ramp down to the shopping area, the officers on duty there speak superb English and tasked to answer immigration questions.

Ubonjoe knows my situation very well, and will know the reason I asked the question I did, which the immigration officer answered. I did not ask any other questions, he volunteered the increase of fee statement.

if you read my post properly, it was said that an increase of  required finances is “strongly rumoured” he did not suggest it was set in concrete.

as for him trying to wind me up ! Why should he ? 

As it so happens I have two Thailand bank accounts, one specifically for the retirement requirements, which will not be touched and another for everyday use so the increase in the requirement will not affect myself, nor a lot of others I would guess, but those struggling could well be affected .

again don’t shoot the messenger, but I thought it should be shared what I was casually told.t

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Happy enough said:

there was an italian bloke on here the other day who said he gets paid 18k a month. i can only assume he had accommodation and food for free. how the hell can someone get by on 18k. i know some do but i'd rather not live in thailand on that kind of money, it's not worth it. soi food and water, great fun

Off topic,

Thai single mom living next door to me earns 10k/month as a supermarket checkout girl.

Brings up 2 kids (1 at university, 1 at high school) and pays her rent (small 2-bed house) with that.

Her life doesn't appear that hard.

For those foreigners who can't imagine living on that, learn to cook, it isn't hard.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

I wouldn't worry to much about the cost involved getting a retirement visa in Thailand.   Just google "getting a retirement visa in Thailand".  A dozen or so reputable well known Thai legal firms will be offering to get you a retirement visa including proof that you have had Bt 800,000 in a bank for the required time, you give them your passport and about Bt25,000 (renewals only Bt15,000) and bingo in 3/4 days you will have a legit retirement visa or you can sus out other local helpers who will assist (legit of course)...just like magic   TIT.

1 hour ago, DipStick said:

as for him trying to wind me up ! Why should he ? 

Believe it or not, Thais do have a sense of humour. Flip a coin if you want to calculate the probability.

2 hours ago, Wallander4 said:

Let them change it to 1,200,000B and they will scratch their heads when the exodus of expats starts

Not so sure.

I reckon if the get your extension for 15/20,000 baht without money in the bank gets stomped on you might see a few leaving or see more reports of long overstay and deportation appearing on forum close to you. ??

18 hours ago, overherebc said:

We are not loaded, well I'm not ? however we do live what I woulld call a normal married life. Don't have family, kids and other hanger ons' living with us.

I'm retired ( BOF ? ) don't have a mortgage and cars paid off. Don't have kids but that's choice for both of us.

Expenses are utilities and food at home, both of us enjoy cooking so don't do a lot a of eating out in restaurants, we do have good nights having a barbie with friends etc.

To get back on topic if they bump the married or retired requirement we both agree we'll sell the house here on the coast buy a smallapartment in Spain Italy or somewhere and rotate between there and the Bangkok house. My pensions will go with me and my wife's income from the condos her father left her will go with us as well.

It won't break the Thai economy but at least we will know that the visa requirements will be more stable and not change every 6 months. I know they don't change as often as that but you sure as hell get the impression they do, or will next week.

If you may have interest in Spain in the future maybe I can help. I live in Chiangmai July & August every year and then back to Spain. My kids are in Spanish School.

Same goes for anyone else who may have interest.

20 hours ago, Happy enough said:

there was an italian bloke on here the other day who said he gets paid 18k a month. i can only assume he had accommodation and food for free. how the hell can someone get by on 18k. i know some do but i'd rather not live in thailand on that kind of money, it's not worth it. soi food and water, great fun

Well, I certainly could not I spend just about twice that on golf every month.

But, where and what will they do?

For a non 3rd world country, Thailand is still one of the cheaper places to live.

I guess that Italian bloke can go live with his mommy and daddy...

But, that is their life I have met some also 7-11 bowls and water from those machines for 4 b.

Barely getting by, it is what it is.

7 hours ago, JWRC said:

Back to the posters quote, that the officer said the cost of living was rising rapidly and 800,000 was insuffficient.

I don't pay rent, but I do pay everything else and live well, I have a car and I smoke, but don't drink, I usually have change out of 20,000 baht a month. Considering that an average wage for a Thai is around 9,000 a month or around 108,000 annually I cannot relate to why the government  would feel the need to increase the amount to what would be over over 7 years income for the average Thai. 

There is no rapid rise in the cost of living!

800K is more than enough for the average retiree to live on. And when you consider they let Mr & Mrs Retiree effectively share the 800K it shows the financial requirement has little to do with the cost of living.

The only reason they would increase the 800K anytime soon would be to control the numbers of expats.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, elviajero said:

There is no rapid rise in the cost of living!

800K is more than enough for the average retiree to live on. And when you consider they let Mr & Mrs Retiree effectively share the 800K it shows the financial requirement has little to do with the cost of living.

The only reason they would increase the 800K anytime soon would be to control the numbers of expats.

So what is it you’re trying to say, a 400k increase would cause an exodus of retirees ? If so I would suggest those who flee are close to the breadline and offer Thailand very little in return.

also, unlike the Elite visa which costs money, never to be seen again, the present 800k is not spirited away by the government. Let’s look at the logistics, 800k works out at a mere 2192B a day, that’s not a lot if you pay rent, drive a vehicle, smoke, enjoy a beer or three, plus electric etc etc. 

21 hours ago, Happy enough said:

there was an italian bloke on here the other day who said he gets paid 18k a month. i can only assume he had accommodation and food for free. how the hell can someone get by on 18k.

Legally he can't.

11 minutes ago, DipStick said:

So what is it you’re trying to say, a 400k increase would cause an exodus of retirees ? If so I would suggest those who flee are close to the breadline and offer Thailand very little in return.

No. Many would be 'grandfathered', many could easily meet the increase, and the agents would be raking it in! Some might be forced to leave.

I am saying that less people will be able to meet the requirement the higher the number goes. As the amount is already higher than needed to comfortably live on the only reason they would increase the amount significantly would be so less people can meet the requirement.

At some point the expat numbers might get above the levels they are happy with, in which case an increase in the financial requirements is one way to control that.

8 hours ago, stevenl said:

Why not? Just my gut feeling.

And many retirees and married people are living in similar circumstances, so I would think Thai authorities think the married requirements are relatively easy compared to the retirement.

But as I said, I don't believe the rumour in the first place, even stronger, I think threads like this should not be on the open forum, some people will panic without a just cause.

I think the married requirements will always be easier and less than the retirement. They can’t really stop people getting married, therefore, they can’t make it too hard for them to live together. That’s why, IMO, it’s only 400K.

I completely agree with your last paragraph.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Well, I certainly could not I spend just about twice that on golf every month.

But, where and what will they do?

For a non 3rd world country, Thailand is still one of the cheaper places to live.

I guess that Italian bloke can go live with his mommy and daddy...

But, that is their life I have met some also 7-11 bowls and water from those machines for 4 b.

Barely getting by, it is what it is.

One of the great things about Thailand is when you do get a bit long in the tooth and those mating urges are not so important you may find any number of not so long in the tooth Thai ladies offering to be your live in carer, long term, really your partner?  Some may find that offensive but it is usually a win win situation for all or both.  As long as the arrangement is reciprocal and you are modestly generous to her it will be a great mostly?  You can make it happen.  This is quite a common feature of mature aged men retiring in Thailand.  Thai ladies who engage in this existence are usually well regarded by their friends.  It likely cost about Bt10,000 p/m for herself plus sharing your rented Bt 8,000 p/m home  and feed your lady, a real bargain and nice, this arrangement is very common in Thailand even for younger men .  Spain is also very interesting.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, elviajero said:

I think the married requirements will always be easier and less than the retirement. They can’t really stop people getting married, therefore, they can’t make it too hard for them to live together. That’s why, IMO, it’s only 400K.

I completely agree with your last paragraph.

The retirement route is easier apart from the financial requirement. I did 7 years marriage then changed to retirement for the last 8. Much easier and quicker!

Tracy

The Med Syndicate

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

Quicker, yes.

Easier! What's so difficult in providing a copy of your marriage certificate, marriage registration and a few photo's, which are the only additional documents required to that of a retirement extension.

2 x TM7's, 2 x passport photo's and 2 copies of all the documents, most of which are already in your possession.

Oh! The hardship, the hoops and hurdles are unbearable. 

Easier because retirement can be done in one trip.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, pmarlin said:

Easier because retirement can be done in one trip.

Yes, I admitted it was easier for that reason, but is a second trip really that inconvenient and a case of jumping through hoops and extra regulations. 

Many prefer to get a Non Imm O ME from Lao, because of Immigrations so called hoops and hurdles.

I don't for one minute believe that's the reason, more of an excuse.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 2

On 7/27/2018 at 12:52 PM, Tanoshi said:

Many prefer to get a Non Imm O ME from Lao, because of Immigrations so called hoops and hurdles.

I don't for one minute believe that's the reason, more of an excuse.

In my case, I had the income-doc (even with MFA-stamp), proof of the money coming into my Thai acct, and all other officially-required documents.  To spite this, I and my Thai wife were given very rude treatment at Jomtien - first on attempting a conversion to Non-O stamp, and then again with a Non-O-SE applying for the 1-year extension.  I wound up getting a Non-O-ME from Savannahket, purely because I was not going to reward them for bad-treatment with an agent-money brown-envelope. 

I live up-country now, so hope it is not another waste of time and money to prepare for a "proper extension" here, when my current visa ends.   I am considering not even trying, after my last experience.

To all who haven't been hit with corruption at immigration, consider yourselves fortunate - but please don't discount others reports, because of your good fortune.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2018 at 6:23 PM, wgdanson said:

So what about us happy retirees who have built and paid for their house in the 'sticks', have a stable, loving relationship, live a reasonable lifestyle away from Nana & Cowboy, and can manage quite comfortably on Bht 50,000 a month. Should we have to prove an income of Bht 100,000.

Many retirement visa for farangs will just have to use the following.   I don't think it matters how much you have in a bank in Thailand as long as you have the Bt 16,000 all will be OK.  Plenty/many of legit, honest, genuine legal firms provide this service in Thailand.

Dear sir

For your retirement visa renewal 
We charge 16,000 THB and if you wish to get a multiple entry is more 4,000 THB

We do NOT require bank balance
We do NOT require pension
We SPONSOR all your requirements
We only need passport + photos, we are agency, and can get it done.

We can process in 3-7 business days (case by case).
We also optionally offer FREE 90 day reporting on your behalf, we mail you back the confirmation slips. (you can still do reporting on your own)

We can service you in four ways for an extension

1) You come to our BKK office, and hand me your passport
2) If you are already in BKK we can send one of our couriers to pickup/drop off your passport.
3) You MAIL/EMS your passport to our BKK office
4) You go to your local immigration, and hand your passport to an immigration officer that works with us.

Edited by David Walden
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, David Walden said:

Plenty/many of legit, honest, genuine legal firms provide this service in Thailand.

Dear sir

For your retirement visa renewal 
We charge 16,000 THB and if you wish to get a multiple entry is more 4,000 THB

We do NOT require bank balance
We do NOT require pension
We SPONSOR all your requirements
We only need passport + photos, we are agency, and can get it done.

We can process in 3-7 business days (case by case).
We also optionally offer FREE 90 day reporting on your behalf, we mail you back the confirmation slips. (you can still do reporting on your own)

We can service you in four ways for an extension

1) You come to our BKK office, and hand me your passport
2) If you are already in BKK we can send one of our couriers to pickup/drop off your passport.
3) You MAIL/EMS your passport to our BKK office
4) You go to your local immigration, and hand your passport to an immigration officer that works with us.

Well the Visa agency you quote isn't honest and genuine.

For one it's a retirement extension renewal.

Two, if they can offer to supply the financial requirements and receive the extension within 3-7 business days, then just how do you suppose they get around ignoring the fact that the money should be seasoned for min 2 months before the date of application.

Honest and genuine...……….please, your insulting the integrity of anyone with an ounce of intelligence.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Well the Visa agency you quote isn't honest and genuine.

For one it's a retirement extension renewal.

Two, if they can offer to supply the financial requirements and receive the extension within 3-7 business days, then just how do you suppose they get around ignoring the fact that the money should be seasoned for min 2 months before the date of application.

Honest and genuine...……….please, your insulting the integrity of anyone with an ounce of intelligence.

My point is tongue cheek.  I'm only pointing out that many people can bypass the legal ways to get retirement visas by the back door and many do for a very reasonable price.   Can you read between the lines? The above example is just one provider out of many who advertise their services on the internet in obtaining retirement visas with no money except for Bt16,000. (used to be Bt30,000).  I don't want or need their services but I suggest thousand do.  I wonder if you are one of those back door service providers trying to deter me from making comments on this subject.  Hmmmm...TIT.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Most likely the agent provides fake copies of a ‘seasoned’ bank book and bank letter, and the IO, being paid off, doesn’t insist on seeing the original.

16K seems like a very good deal if the permit they provide is from immigration and genuine.

12 minutes ago, elviajero said:

16K seems like a very good deal if the permit they provide is from immigration and genuine.

My agent in CM does retirement extension and 90 day reports for less than half that!.  Totally legit.  Only have to turn up in person (by law) at Immigration for approx. 10 minutes to get the Photo taken for the annual extension.  Saves either multi trips or hanging around CM immigration for many many hours. (Note these remarks about times etc pertain to CM only!)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

My agent in CM does retirement extension and 90 day reports for less than half that!.  Totally legit.  Only have to turn up in person (by law) at Immigration for approx. 10 minutes to get the Photo taken for the annual extension.  Saves either multi trips or hanging around CM immigration for many many hours. (Note these remarks about times etc pertain to CM only!)

The 16 k  is for retirement visa without funds.   Its  circa13k in pattaya,    

or 7k if you have funds 

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, elviajero said:

Most likely the agent provides fake copies of a ‘seasoned’ bank book and bank letter, and the IO, being paid off, doesn’t insist on seeing the original.

Never a truer words spoken...TIT

This service is very common I have lots of friends who use this type of service.  Their bank savings are well under the requirements and this service is widely advertised on the internet and by other means and providers.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

My retirement visa I obtained in Australia, no funny business there.  The 90 day report only took 10 minuets at Phetchaburi immigration near Cha-am. Nice lady did most of it for me with lots of smiles.

• Confused 1

35 minutes ago, David Walden said:

My retirement visa I obtained in Australia

How can you get a "retirement visa" in Australia, or anywhere else for that matter? 

As far as I know you can only get an extension based on retirement after you have gone through the hoops back here in Thailand!

• Like 1