Where to stay in Bali

I'm going to head to bali for a short trip.

Some of my friends have been and they told me not to even bother (over rated/trash everywhere/crowded/bad traffic/vulgar tourists/irritating poor people trying to sell you shit).

It seems that they went to the wrong part of the Island!!!!

I can look it up, but if anyone has recently been to a part of Bali that they recommend please let me know.

I love beaches!!!

Thanks in advance.

If you like the beaches go to Seminyak, it's a more upmarket area next to Kuta. So close to shops and bars. Ubud is a nice place and worth a visit but it is not a beach area, it is in the middle of the island.

Be careful with people approaching you and offering drugs ... some of them are working with the Police and are looking for an easy mark to exploit for money ... but it can all go seriously wrong for the victim.

If you set one step outside the resort the vendors will all jump on you....so find a large resort where you can stay in their property and enjoy all. We stayed in one with 5 pools, it was great and on the beach.

was there last oct, previous visit was 2002, wont EVER go back:
Ubud is VERY crowded, year round,  Kuta, lousy beach and ur hassled everywhere u walk ( change money, taxi, want massage, Ganga, dope etc etc

Traffic on the whole island is terrible
Its overpriced for what u get an dont forget the 17% add on tax,

BUT beyond that

head to Mt batur and Amed

Edited by phuketrichard