Alcohol sales ban tightened for Asanha Bucha, Lent

webfact

3 hours ago, Thomas33399 said:

I wonder if you can still take you own alcohol to a restaurant etc. Most restaurants around here will not sell alcohol under the restrictions but they will allow you to bring your own and they will serve it for you.

Must be desperate :cheesy:

24 minutes ago, Tengtai said:

If someone absolutely need to drink alcohol this weekend go to 7-11 and by a 6 pack Leo or 2, sit at home and get drunk. What's the problem? Thailand is a Buddhist country and we are guests in the country so we just have to take the bad with the good.  

Tengtai, your post makes perfect sense, except for the part where you say that 'Thailand is a Buddhist country', because that is far from being a 'simple truth', including for the Thais themselves.

There is a significant Muslim minority in this country (4.3%), and about 1.2% Christians. The majority of Thais (94%) adhere to Theravada Buddhism, but there is no official religion in Thailand, and religious freedom is guaranteed by Law. The only specific obligation is that the King must be Buddhist.

You can say that a country is Buddhist or Christian or Hindu or Muslim only when this particular religion is clearly marked by law as being the official religion. I repeat, this is not the case here, and that's what makes these alcohol bans bizarre and illogical, especially because the Royal Thai Police are the ones called upon to enforce the ban, even though technically speaking it has no legal basis.

Edited by Yann55
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, alien365 said:

Booking your first dream trip to Thailand:

Flights-check, hotel-check, travel insurance -check (sometimes), check alcohol selling days or times- did no one ever.

Agree. Why would you even think of checking if a country was having an alcohol free weekend? It’s an absurdity. Tourists will fly in for a couple of days to sample Bangkok nightlife before heading to the beaches and have their first impression totally spoiled by this. It should be a suggestion for good Buddhists, not a country wide law.

5 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

{snipped}

You can say that a country is Buddhist or Christian or Hindu or Muslim only when this particular religion is clearly marked by law as being the official religion. I repeat, this is not the case here, and that's what makes these alcohol bans bizarre and illogical, especially because the Royal Thai Police are the ones called upon to enforce the ban, even though technically speaking this ban has no legal foundation.

Illogical: That's what is done well here in Thailand.

Even having a law doesn't mean it will be enforced - I'm sure we all know that.

Edited by bluesofa

Does anybody know how enforced this is in the islands? We have a trip to Koh Mak planned for this weekend and to be honest I can't imagine doing the trip to the beach without a beer or two. Not fussed about where we buy it from just hoping that we can buy it from somewhere. Thanks in advance.

It was never the case a few years ago! I've lost track of when these bans were introduced, but I'm fairly sure it was after 2005 (as that's when my memory came back! ? )

It must have an awful effect on tourism, driving people to Cambodia, Myanmar or Vietnam, just to be able to go out and have a good time! 

Obviously not much of a problem for locals, if you prepare!

What about the lose of revenue at the tax department, not that that will bother any T totalers who think its more important to protect religious events and not take care of tourists at these traditional events, on the other hand maybe the tourists have come to see the police arrest people for drinking with a crash helmet on. 

I look forward to the drink/driving figures for the upcoming weekend, anyone think it will be zero?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

LoL:

"He said Police Commissioner General Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda had instructed chiefs of the nine provincial bureaux and Metropolitan Police Bureau to be strict about the ban on Friday and Saturday.

Although Thailand is a secular society, the sale of alcoholic drinks is banned at department stores, convenience stores and entertainment venues on Buddhist national holidays.

The ban goes onto effect at 12.01am on Friday and remains in place through midnight Sunday."

Not only that, but the Nation's "Breaking News" article shows a sign from an "alcohol ban" in October 2016 !

2db1fc10cee084c8567bf195b690f13e.jpeg.cb8e52c7339b7f5baac0b9ae7b62925f.jpeg

Edited by Kerryd

54 minutes ago, Yann55 said:

Tengtai, your post makes perfect sense, except for the part where you say that 'Thailand is a Buddhist country', because that is far from being a 'simple truth', including for the Thais themselves.

There is a significant Muslim minority in this country (4.3%), and about 1.2% Christians. The majority of Thais (94%) adhere to Theravada Buddhism, but there is no official religion in Thailand, and religious freedom is guaranteed by Law. The only specific obligation is that the King must be Buddhist.

You can say that a country is Buddhist or Christian or Hindu or Muslim only when this particular religion is clearly marked by law as being the official religion. I repeat, this is not the case here, and that's what makes these alcohol bans bizarre and illogical, especially because the Royal Thai Police are the ones called upon to enforce the ban, even though technically speaking it has no legal basis.

So that means, legally, Thailand is a secular country?

Theses alcohol 'bans' are very shaddy, as mentioned buying alcohol on these buddhist days is still possible in large thai restaurants and your mom and pop style store, marinas etc

There seems to be little  no worry about drinking from 'coffee' mugs in falang or small thai resatuarants.

I feel these bans are more to related to the sex industry, as these establishments are closed full stop (even if you want to play pool and drink fanta)

Now being a buddhist country and where prostitution is illegal (although everyone is aware whats going on just dont admit to it)

Its easier and thais wont lose face; to impose an alcohol ban and thus subsequently killing the sex industry for those couple of days and therefore Buddha is now appeased.

51 minutes ago, cookieqw said:

And enforcing a non law  it seems

Here the police make up their own laws as they apt to do (dart board license 2018 ) (music on your computer in a bar license 2004) There seem to be no enforcement of existing laws that are actually on the books except ones to increase the income for the bib itself.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ChiangMaiLightning2143 said:

Never Closed

• International airports and business class lounges
  • 5 star hotel bars and poolside service, of course in room mini bars are not emptied.              

One imagines the officers mess at the Army  Club in Bangkok never runs dry either. Do as we say not as we do. 

Sorry, but staying in a 5-Star hotel in Sukhumvit and just received a flyer that the hotel is prohibited from serving in its bars and restaurants starting at midnight...  

Minibars are not emptied and room-service seems to be a way around the ban as well..

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Rinrada said:

"The ban goes onto effect at 12.01am on Friday and remains in place through midnight Sunday."....surely.. depends on how you read it...should be midnight on Saturday...or is it a sam wan event...Dont want to confuse any tourist especially if they are sober..chai...

when is 12.01 am? never heard of such time

have heard of 12.01 pm

and 00.01 am

but 12.01 am beats me, maybe just after santa clause has vanished upt the chimney

12 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

have heard of 12.01 pm

and 00.01 am

but 12.01 am beats me, maybe just after santa clause has vanished upt the chimney

Sorry not allowed to sell after 24:00

My 14 year old daughter is planning to go to the temple with her friends on Friday, and then after that they come home and have a party where they drink some alcohol.

I have just told her, that she can do it, but in my mind she should know that she is faking.

n  Going to temple to show she is a good Buda-girl, and at the same time planning to go back and drink alcohol.

But I suppose that is 'The Thai way' of doing things.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, fullcave said:

Sorry not allowed to sell after 24:00

good thanks, I kinda understood that but . . . .

being pedantic today; there is no such time as 24.00 either, doesn't exist

look at the clock

its 23:59:59.99999999999

next the clock is

00:00:00.99999999999999999999 or 00:00:01 if you like

after midnight is better

Edited by melvinmelvin
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, melvinmelvin said:

have heard of 12.01 pm

and 00.01 am

Am used to 00:01 and 23:59, with Midnight taking up the missing minute for the 24 hour clock system.

The 12:01 PM is a minute after Midday, 12:01 AM a minute after midnight.

That said, I always relate the AM to After Midnight and the PM to Past Midday if using a 12 hour clock system, can't go too far wrong with that................:thumbsup: