Reentry permit while under consideration of extension of stay.

Hi Everyone.

I am soon to be renewing my extension of stay on grounds of marriage. After I apply i will be under consideration for 1 month before my extension is approved. The problem i have is that soon after i apply i will need to leave the country. Does anybody know if a reentry permit will be valid while only under consideration.

Thank you all so much in advance.

I went through this last year, as I travel weekly to Cambodia. What Ubonjoe says is correct. Where you get screwed is if they have not finished approving your extension of stay by the time the "report back on" expires.

In this case, you are well and truly stuck, because immigration will not issue a second "report back on" and you really can not leave until the approval comes through.

One would think they could come up with a better system than this, but this is the way it works.

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can get a re-entry permit for the under consideration period that will valid for entry up to the report back date on the stamp.

Something I have wondered for a while is whether an under consideration period cancels an existing re-entry permit. Obviously, in some cases, that would be irrelevant. However, many apply for an extension about a month before the existing permission to stay expires, getting a report back date around the time that the old permission to stay expires. Could you, under those circumstances, still use the old re-entry permit?

18 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Something I have wondered for a while is whether an under consideration period cancels an existing re-entry permit. Obviously, in some cases, that would be irrelevant. However, many apply for an extension about a month before the existing permission to stay expires, getting a report back date around the time that the old permission to stay expires. Could you, under those circumstances, still use the old re-entry permit?

Some have done it using the a existing re-entry permit for their current permit to stay. But some offices might make a problem for doing it that way. Most people get a one specifically for the under consideration period.

It also depends upon which immigration office you use. Some offices start the 30 days from the date your current permit to stay ends. The offices here in Isaan do it that way. All of mine have been done that way.

• Like 1