12 companies interested in making films based on Tham Luang rescue

snoop1130

12 companies interested in making films based on Tham Luang rescue

2018-07-26_16-18-09.png

At least 12 companies have so far shown interest in making movies or documentary based on the incredible rescue of the 12 Moo Pa Academy footballers and their coach from Tham Luang cave in Chiang Rai’s Mae Sai district earlier this month, Culture Minister Vira Rojpojchanarat said today.

He said the 12 companies made their requests through the Foreign Ministry and Thai private companies. The Culture Ministry will make an appointment to meet with their representatives in early August.

The Cabinet on Tuesday agreed to the setting up of an ad hoc committee to handle commercial interests, including filming permissions, related to the dramatic rescue operation that captivated the world.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/12-companies-interested-making-films-based-tham-luang-rescue/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2018-7-26

Will it be similar terms to the mobile phone farce?

Film companies have to tender for the right to produce the film. Winner has to pay in advance, plus all companies tendering one million Baht to buy the tender forms.

Valid for 5 years?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

if and where will the profits/royalties end up i am sorry to say this but most of us will  have an idea that there will be a skim off  for   some unintitled to what may become

at the worst  millions of bht very sad but oh so true  sad but no malice intended

Edited by Lamkyong
m

Many of these are owned by a single conglomerate.  Mega conglomerates vs. the junta.   Betting these guys will side step the junta and make the film in a Malaysian cave in praise of universal suffrage and new beginnings for the people of Malaysia.     

• Like 2

I hope the kids at least get college funds out of this. Doubtful, but one can dream. Hey, maybe they “lawyered-up” and secured the rights to the story. I’m sure someone has had the foresight to take the lead in protecting them from the imminent feeding frenzy. Yes, I’m new here. ? 

Ah so who will these companies have to bung to get the deal ? If I was a Hollywood company make the movie in another country and forget about Thailand! Just as the “A prayer before Dawn “ about the British boxer in Thai jail was filmed in Phillipines !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

3 minutes ago, markaoffy said:

Ah so who will these companies have to bung to get the deal ? If I was a Hollywood company make the movie in another country and forget about Thailand! Just as the “A prayer before Dawn “ about the British boxer in Thai jail was filmed in Phillipines !

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

In that case the perceived protagonist (singular) was a Brit and the antagonist was the Thai penal system, right? 

Well, this isn’t that. Not even remotely close. The only ones to get “bunged” in your scenario would be the kids. Please, let’s focus. 

Once a film company realises that they can never meet the Thai requirements no matter how hard they try, the film will be made elsewhere.

The film company that made the last version of Anna and the King tried everything including altering scripts, scenes etc before giving up and making the film in Malaysia.

• Like 1

In that case the perceived protagonist (singular) was a Brit and the antagonist was the Thai penal system, right? 

Well, this isn’t that. Not even remotely close. The only ones to get “bunged” in your scenario would be the kids. Please, let’s focus. 

No! The issue is also where to make the movie! Make it in another country and if Thai lawyers want to try using their “legal methods” outside its borders, bring it on!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 7/27/2018 at 11:01 AM, markaoffy said:

No! The issue is also where to make the movie! Make it in another country and if Thai lawyers want to try using their “legal methods” outside its borders, bring it on!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

You seem hell-bent on missing the point, for some reason. The entire debacle surrounds the kids who very-nearly didn't survive this misadventure and therefore should always be about the kids. From what we've seen I think it safe to assume that the fine individuals involved in the rescue would have the sense and humility to agree, and might, in fact, take umbrage at anyone attempting to do an end-run around them -- including the Thai. As well they ought. And as long as we (the critical public) maintain vigilance in this matter and refuse to support any exploitative measures surrounding it, the kids stand to win something. For them, this is a one-off opportunity. Again, let's keep our eyes on the ball.