Foreinger couple want make a family in Thai..

Hi everyone.. 

Me and my partner are italian and chinese.

Our actual job is all around Asia. Since we work about 6 months at year the resting 6 months we live in Thailand with a tourist multi entrance visa. Is already 7 years that I stay in Thai. 

We are planning to change job and stay definitely in Thailand, also to make a family. 

In the moment we can have a child is possible that both of us will have a work permit, or is possible that only one will have and the other one will have another kind of visa. 

My question is.. what will be about the child? If will born here, can stay in the country or will have visa problem?

Which is the best way for us to set up our families documents to stay in Thai? 

Many thanks, 

If your child is born here they will be allowed to stay indefinitely. When they do leave they will need a passport and their birth certificate to prove they were born here. After that they would need a visa to enter the country.

If one of you has a work permit that means you would have a non-b visa or extension of stay based upon working. If on an extension of stay your child could get an extension for being a member of their family based upon their extension.

If you are married the spouse of the one working could also get an extension as well.

19 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

After that they would need a visa to enter the country.

After that entry they can overstay, without financial penalty, up until their 14 birthday. Or may be their 15th? Memory is a little faded these days.

Edited by Rally123
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Rally123 said:

After that entry they can overstay, without financial penalty, up until their 14 birthday.

They are exempt from being fined for an overstay if the are under the age of 15 but they do get an overstay stamp. Being exempt from the fine does not mean they are exempt from having a valid permit to stay in the country.

Once reaching school age not having valid permit to stay can lead to problems because some school will not allow them to enroll without one.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If your child is born here they will be allowed to stay indefinitely. When they do leave they will need a passport and their birth certificate to prove they were born here. After that they would need a visa to enter the country.

If one of you has a work permit that means you would have a non-b visa or extension of stay based upon working. If on an extension of stay your child could get an extension for being a member of their family based upon their extension.

If you are married the spouse of the one working could also get an extension as well.

Thank you for your help. 

But I still have some doubts, probably for my bad English.. 

If he born in Thailand he can stay indefinitely or till is 14 or 15yo? 

If he can live in Thailand, there is any different solution to stay for us different from the work permit? 

Can we merry in Thailand if both of us are foreinger? And it will help for the child? 

If my partner is pregnant, they will allow her to renew the visa or work permit and have the baby in Thailand? 

Last question, if the child is born in Thai, he will have problem to go to normal school? 

Sorry, we are a bit worried..

The child will not or never will be Thai.

It will need visa/extension for the duration of it's stay.

Can get permision to stay once it starts school.

One of the parents can get pemision to stay when the kid starts school.

500,000 Baht in the bank needed.

Yes you can marry in Thailand.

Edited by Phuket Man
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Boris79 said:

If he born in Thailand he can stay indefinitely or till is 14 or 15yo? 

If he can live in Thailand, there is any different solution to stay for us different from the work permit? 

Can we merry in Thailand if both of us are foreinger? And it will help for the child? 

If my partner is pregnant, they will allow her to renew the visa or work permit and have the baby in Thailand? 

Last question, if the child is born in Thai, he will have problem to go to normal school? 

If born here your child is allowed to stay in the country indefenity. But I would assume they would leave the country at some point in time. After leaving the country and returning they then fall under normal immigration rules and require visa and/or extension of stay. The ages mentioned are only for the exemption for paying overstay fines it does not mean they can stay here without a valid permit to stay.

Your being able to stay here after your child is born here it will have no effect on being able to stay in the country. After they are old enough to attend school and have a extension of stay to attend school one parent can get an extension for being their mother or father.

You can get married here. The only way getting married would help your child would be that one of you could get an extension based upon the others extension of stay.

Work permits and permits to stay are two different things. A work permit does not allow you to stay in the country it is only one of the requirements for obtaining an extension of a permit to stay based upon working.

If your partner is here and pregnant she could get a extension of stay for medical treatment under the advise of a doctor that she should no longer travel and then after birth for a period of time to take care of the baby.

Where a child is born makes no difference for attending school unless they have Thai nationality.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

If born here your child is allowed to stay in the country indefenity.

That's very interesting. Could you quote the source of that information please Joe.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

But I would assume they would leave the country at some point in time.

The OP has another decision to make here with regards to registering the child's nationality and obtaining a passport.

Italy allows dual nationality, China does not.

He will have to give careful consideration as to the child's future and where they may eventually permanently reside.

I have a friend who's been through this exact scenario.  Philippine mother and English father.  Their daughter was allowed to stay, piggy backed on her father's visa/work permit.  Before she was 20, she had to leave the country as she wouldn't be able to use her father's visa being an adult herself.  She moved to Canada and visits Thailand as a tourist.

4 minutes ago, HHTel said:

I have a friend who's been through this exact scenario.  Philippine mother and English father.  Their daughter was allowed to stay, piggy backed on her father's visa/work permit.  Before she was 20, she had to leave the country as she wouldn't be able to use her father's visa being an adult herself.  She moved to Canada and visits Thailand as a tourist.

It is not possible to "piggyback' on her father's visa.

An extension of stay would be a different matter though.

37 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

That's very interesting. Could you quote the source of that information please Joe.

It is a known fact a child born here is allowed stay here without a passport or a permit to stay. I will let you find the source of the allowance.

Do you think they would be deported for not having a passport and/or be charged with illegal entry.

37 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

The OP has another decision to make here with regards to registering the child's nationality and obtaining a passport.

Not really relevant to my post you quoted.

Ok.  She 'piggy backed' on her father's 'extension to stay'.  Either way, she was allowed, as was her brother, to stay in Thailand based on the fact her English father legally worked here.  That became null and void once she and her brother became adults.

1 minute ago, ubonjoe said:

It is a known fact a child born here is allowed stay here without a passport or a permit to stay. I will let you find the source of the allowance.

Do you think they would be deported for not having a passport and/or be charged with illegal entry.

Not questioning your knowledge, it makes sense, just out of personal interest wondered where one would find that source of information.

19 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

If the child left Thailand before age 15- he/she would not be charged for the overstay but would the child be blacklisted due to the revised overstay rules?

I'm sure a child under 15 cannot be blacklisted or fined under the new overstay rules.

However they would receive overstay stamps and further entries once they reach 15 could be jeopardised.

A child has little control of the actions of his parents and that would hopefully be taken into account.

34 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

If the child left Thailand before age 15- he/she would not be charged for the overstay but would the child be blacklisted due to the revised overstay rules?

Children under the age of 18 are exempt from being banned for an overstay.

• Like 1

You may want to look into school requirements regular vs. international school. You may not have a choice depending on regulation.

A friend US citizen lived in China he and wife had a daughter. They excitedly rushed to get her US citizenship based on fathers. When 

old enough to start school she could speak both Chinese and English. 

Tried enrolling her in Chinese regular school and was not allowed 

because of citizenship. Only choice was Intl school as you can see its

costly pre school $15,000 USD  , Kindergarten $19,000 yearly which breaks down to $1583.00 USD a month .... kindergarten. 

Its aburden for a lot of parents. 

AUS that plan was to live in China until child was out of school.

Said If your planning staying in country don’t rush to apply 

for foreign citizenship 

67DAFA3D-3553-46B2-A3A0-E66420C33AD0.jpeg

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

They are exempt from being fined for an overstay if the are under the age of 15 but they do get an overstay stamp. Being exempt from the fine does not mean they are exempt from having a valid permit to stay in the country.

Curious to know if kids are hauled off to immigration detention for overstaying if immigration catches them?

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, bbi1 said:

Curious to know if kids are hauled off to immigration detention for overstaying if immigration catches them?

They would not be taken to the IDC. I would guess the would attempt to find their parents first and then turn them over to social services. Children under 15 are not put in jails.

3 hours ago, DJ54 said:

You may want to look into school requirements regular vs. international school. You may not have a choice depending on regulation.

A friend US citizen lived in China he and wife had a daughter. They excitedly rushed to get her US citizenship based on fathers. When 

That does not apply here. I think China has a law prevents them from attending public schools.

Here there is no such law and there is an abundance of private schools that will certainly accept them.

• Thanks 1

Ok.. sounds really a complicated life. But, since we cannot live in our country, we will find the way. 

So.. 

1. We can marry in Thailand

2. If we are married, if one of us regularly work in Thailand, the other one can have the same visa extension.

3. If our child will born in Thai, the child can stay till he will be 18yo, but if the he/she leaves the country will need a visa to re-enter in Thailand, I imagine that the visa can be extended if one parents regularly works in the country. 

4. Once the child is born witch nationality will be? There is any chance for the child or, if not possible, for me (to help the child) to have Thailand passport? 

5. If is confirmed that the child will not be allowed to go in public school, all the private schools have a cost of 15-20.000 or there are some with a reasonable price? 

Thanks

11 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Tried enrolling her in Chinese regular school and was not allowed 

because of citizenship. Only choice was Intl school as you can see its

costly pre school $15,000 USD  , Kindergarten $19,000 yearly which breaks down to $1583.00 USD a month .... kindergarten. 

Its aburden for a lot of parents. 

AUS that plan was to live in China until child was out of school.

Said If your planning staying in country don’t rush to apply 

for foreign citizenship 

67DAFA3D-3553-46B2-A3A0-E66420C33AD0.jpeg

That's insanity pure. OP, if you are certain that both of your jobs are secure, there's no problem staying and living here in Thailand. But once your wife/gf has her baby, one of you will have to stop working. If you can't afford it to send your child to an international school, please forget it and go to Italy, where your kid will receive a much better education. 

You could easily get your child into an ordinary school, money does basically everything for you. But you should think about the future and take some time to make a decision. The visa and extension of stay regulations get tougher and tougher from month to month.

Life has gotten quite expensive in bigger cities and there's no reason for you to live in an Isaan village. Use your common sense.   

Edited by jenny2017
  • Like 1

OP, as both foreign nationals, your life here will be complicated Visa wise. Very complicated.

My wife is Thai, we have 2 girls born in Thailand  (now 7 and 8), and a new baby born in Australia (1 1/2 - we got her Thai citizenship, birth cert and passport in Australia). 

When the kids were 3, we carefully evaluated our choice concerning their education.

Any way we sliced and diced it, researched it, it was MUCH cheaper and MUCH better education going back to Melbourne.

2 kids at $20k = $40k/year. Maybe in high school it's worth it, in primary school that's a serious cash burn.

The standard of education you get is still below free public education in Australia.

You may want to compare educations standards of Italy vs Thai then decide if paying here is worth it for the returns.

"Local" Thai schools. I don't want to make blanket statements, do your own Due Diligence. Note that there are/have been several high profile cases of teachers sexually abusing children. One is on this message board now. It's the tip of the iceberg. This problem may be very prevalent, very very prevalent.

With the lack of safeguards such as a Working With Children police check, I think the risks are too high. You make your own judgement. Talk to Thai people, who have gone through local schools, especially younger women. Almost everyone has a story about a "too friendly" male teachers. Up to you what level of risk you want to take with your kids.

Visa wise, get ready for many documents, many bank account printouts, always proving you can stay here. I've got a Thai wife, 3 Thai nationality, yellow tabian baht book, car in my name, 2 bank accounts with cash here, and still need visas, reporting, printing bank statements, boss of the village going down to immigration for police interview to say I don't deal drugs in the village. I can't imagine 2 foreign nationals with off-work for 6 months. Check the conditions on work permits, can you be employed only part-time of the year?

Good luck!

It's not that complicated. My wife is not Thai, nor is our son, although he was born here. I have an Extension based on working here, and both my wife and son "piggyback" on this. It's renewed each year.

Only children with a Thai parent can be Thai, so the OP's child cannot be Thai. He/she will need a passport to leave Thailand.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

6 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's not that complicated. My wife is not Thai, nor is our son, although he was born here. I have an Extension based on working here, and both my wife and son "piggyback" on this. It's renewed each year.

Only children with a Thai parent can be Thai, so the OP's child cannot be Thai. He/she will need a passport to leave Thailand.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I assume you work for a company that sponsors you, with all appropriate paper trails. 

The OP did say "Our actual job is all around Asia. Since we work about 6 months at year the resting 6 months we live in Thailand with a tourist".

To me that says his company/structure is NOT based in Thailand. Perhaps he's an online entrepreneur. Maybe he works through freelance website and part of the "gig" economy. If they are not working for a Thai /approved multinational here, what legal entity will sponsor the work permit? Seems the OP comes here for holidays, does not pay tax here, etc. So how can he get a work permit here then? To get a work permit you need to be sponsored by a Thai company (you need all the company registration, tax number, income, etc, etc) there must be no one here who can do that job, and I believe you have to work fulltime, not part time.

Edited by BuckleUp

29 minutes ago, BuckleUp said:

To me that says his company/structure is NOT based in Thailand.

After getting more info the OP posted this. You are going by his first post.

8 hours ago, Boris79 said:

2. If we are married, if one of us regularly work in Thailand, the other one can have the same visa extension.

Not exactly correct but close enough.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, BuckleUp said:

I assume you work for a company that sponsors you, with all appropriate paper trails. 

The OP did say "Our actual job is all around Asia. Since we work about 6 months at year the resting 6 months we live in Thailand with a tourist".

To me that says his company/structure is NOT based in Thailand. Perhaps he's an online entrepreneur. Maybe he works through freelance website and part of the "gig" economy. If they are not working for a Thai /approved multinational here, what legal entity will sponsor the work permit? Seems the OP comes here for holidays, does not pay tax here, etc. So how can he get a work permit here then? To get a work permit you need to be sponsored by a Thai company (you need all the company registration, tax number, income, etc, etc) there must be no one here who can do that job, and I believe you have to work fulltime, not part time.

I just have a work Extension and work permit as I work here (as a teacher) and assumed the OP would be working here legally.

8 hours ago, Boris79 said:

1. We can marry in Thailand

3. If our child will born in Thai, the child can stay till he will be 18yo, but if the he/she leaves the country will need a visa to re-enter in Thailand, I imagine that the visa can be extended if one parents regularly works in the country. 

4. Once the child is born witch nationality will be? There is any chance for the child or, if not possible, for me (to help the child) to have Thailand passport? 

5. If is confirmed that the child will not be allowed to go in public school, all the private schools have a cost of 15-20.000 or there are some with a reasonable price? 

1. Yes 

2. Not the same extension. One would be for working and the other for being a member of your family.

3. No

After 14 they are subject to overstay fines and possible deportation. At 18 they would fall under the overstay banning rules and could be banned from entering the country for as long as 10 years.

Once you get them either of your nationalities for your child and a passport they can stay legally for being a member of your family or for attending school.

4. You will have to decide which nationality they would have. They could have your nationality or their mothers or both. They will not have Thai nationality from birth and there is no way you could obtain it for them.

5. The could attend a public but they would have difficulty unless that have learned Thai. There are a few public school that have English language programs but they are not free. I would say the minimum for a private school would be 10k baht per term. 

• Thanks 1